Phantom Vision 2 -GoPro set up possible?

Reaction score
So I have a Phantom Vision 2 . .yes, the one with the FC200 . . I was wondering what it would take to run the GoPro Black on it, with the HD-2d and an iOSD FVP set up; heck I'll even put on a Nazi (so trash all the wifi features) . . . I think the FC200 is a junk camera, and I really dont want to buy a new set up when I already have a working setup but I hate the camera. If I cant come up with a good solution, I will probably sell my Phantom Vision 2 with DronExpert gimbal, 3 batteries, case, DJI filter holder with 6 filters and spare props and prop guards.

So what are the thoughts on this? Anyone done it yet? Is it worth it?

Quadzilla. said:
whitelens said:
I think the FC200 is a junk camera

Now you've done it. Posting the plain unadulterated truth is not acceptable!

Brace yourself for the onslaught from the confused masses!

peasants.jpg

LOL

Quadzilla. said:
whitelens said:
I think the FC200 is a junk camera

Now you've done it. Posting the plain unadulterated truth is not acceptable!

Brace yourself for the onslaught from the confused masses!

peasants.jpg

ha!!! SNICKER!!! Bring it on boys!!! But lets not go on and on about the FC200 . . . my thoughts, let me live with them, and move on!

Your main problem is going to be the fact that the P2V uses 5.8GHz for control, 2.4GHz for data downlink/FPV. Your standard DJI FPV setup for GoPro runs on 5.8GHz... Also, there's no CAN BUS port to put the iOSD into, there's no Zenmuse connector lead pre-fitted to plug that into (and we don't know if the control circuitry is baked into the P2V board), you won't be able to upgrade to use the DJI iPad Ground Station with Datalink because that needs a CAN BUS and supported firmware (Vision's getting waypoint flying via the in-built app so no need for additional hardware).

I'd say your options are to sell and get a P2Z, or wait and see if the rumoured Vision+ or Vision3 or whatever appears in the near future with the also rumoured higher spec camera and 3 axis gimbal if you like the "all in one" nature of the Vision/phone combo but not the quality (and I'm just quoting rumour posts there, there's no official info released about that at all).

And contrary to what Pete says not everyone who's happy with their Vision thinks the camera is top-drawer awesome quality - some of us just think it's absolutely fine for our particular purposes, your mileage may (and did) vary depending on what you want to do with it. :)

My eyes were wide open when I bought my P2V. I had no illusions I was buying a cinema-quality rig at all.
My plan was to invest in a machine, initially, that would be a great training machine for what I plan will be a progression to something on the order of the S1000 (or similar machine) in 2-3 years.

My thought is, if you're ready for your wings, borrow the money and go big! You'll make the investment back in no time.

Pull_Up said:
Your main problem is going to be the fact that the P2V uses 5.8GHz for control, 2.4GHz for data downlink/FPV. Your standard DJI FPV setup for GoPro runs on 5.8GHz... Also, there's no CAN BUS port to put the iOSD into, there's no Zenmuse connector lead pre-fitted to plug that into (and we don't know if the control circuitry is baked into the P2V board), you won't be able to upgrade to use the DJI iPad Ground Station with Datalink because that needs a CAN BUS and supported firmware (Vision's getting waypoint flying via the in-built app so no need for additional hardware).

I'd say your options are to sell and get a P2Z, or wait and see if the rumoured Vision+ or Vision3 or whatever appears in the near future with the also rumoured higher spec camera and 3 axis gimbal if you like the "all in one" nature of the Vision/phone combo but not the quality (and I'm just quoting rumour posts there, there's no official info released about that at all).

And contrary to what Pete says not everyone who's happy with their Vision thinks the camera is top-drawer awesome quality - some of us just think it's absolutely fine for our particular purposes, your mileage may (and did) vary depending on what you want to do with it. :)
Great points PULLUP and I value your thoughts . .sounds like I might need to sale my Vision! :(

I suspect it's the best course of action. And if DJI DO release a new upgraded version in the not too distant future you might want to sell sooner rather than later while the prices are what they are.

If you have more than one battery and do intent to go for a P2Z then hold on to your extra batteries, just sell the Vision with the stock one it came with. There's no sign of prices dropping on batteries at all, yet and they'll slot straight in to your P2... Only slight fly in the ointment is DJI are running the free extra battery offer if you buy a new Vision again at the moment.

I'm asking myself the same question Whitelens and got to your post. The Fact is this: DJI releases P2V for consumer quality aerial pictures right out of the box. Then fit a camera with additional video rec feature. I added the Dronexpert gimbal for converting it in a pro-sumer aerial platform. I have not gotten the better results neither but I did not expected so much. So I will use the vision as a second aircraft for low budgets projects not demanding highest quality.
Now there are combos with Phantom 2 (no vision), ZenmH32D, GoProBlack,FPV, OSD, Case, Spare battery. Pro installation included worth in US$ 2,180. I invested 1,991 in total adding the DE gimbal. So with the actual FAA regulations I expect prices are going even down. I'll try to get my invest returned fast and get a second AP for the best results.

ValHeliRC said:
I'm asking myself the same question Whitelens and got to your post. The Fact is this: DJI releases P2V for consumer quality aerial pictures right out of the box. Then fit a camera with additional video rec feature. I added the Dronexpert gimbal for converting it in a pro-sumer aerial platform. I have not gotten the better results neither but I did not expected so much. So I will use the vision as a second aircraft for low budgets projects not demanding highest quality.
Now there are combos with Phantom 2 (no vision), ZenmH32D, GoProBlack,FPV, OSD, Case, Spare battery. Pro installation included worth in US$ 2,180. I invested 1,991 in total adding the DE gimbal. So with the actual FAA regulations I expect prices are going even down. I'll try to get my invest returned fast and get a second AP for the best results.

Yeah, I'm looking to do that as well . .. Where did you find it for $2,180? I am tossed a little on either going with a F550 or staying with a P2.
It's funny, cause I got the vision just to "test out" the aerial thing, and maybe add it in a video here and there, (and I got one of the first ones off the truck) so nobody really knew much about the camera. Now I find myself shooting aerials all the time, and more and more folks are wanting them from me. So that is why I'm looking to go to a bit better platform for capturing the video (the GoPro black seems light years better than the FC200).

I just dont want to spend $2k only to find out that for $2,300 I could have a more "professional" platform in the F550, and be able to put larger cameras on it down the road, and it be something that is more stable in the wind. (But 8-11 mins of video time is KILLING ME!)
Oh, and I travel a TON and putting the ($700 case) F550 on an airplane adds yet another $200 bag check to my already train of large bags I carry through the airport.

SIGH. . . someone, just do it all for me, and I'll write the check!!! :oops:

Your main problem is going to be the fact that the P2V uses 5.8GHz for control, 2.4GHz for data downlink/FPV. Your standard DJI FPV setup for GoPro runs on 5.8GHz... Also, there's no CAN BUS port to put the iOSD into, there's no Zenmuse connector lead pre-fitted to plug that into
I comment to right your comment there. I have actually turned my P2V completely into a P2 with gopro and fully working FPV and everything so it is completely possible, not even that hard many have said.
My FC200 cam died by update (proves that it is junk). I trowed it away because it couldn't be fixed and bought a zenmouse h3-2d gimbal. I inserted my dads hero 3 cam which he gave me on it and installed it just like you do with an usual P2. Connected the gimbal cable on to the interference board and then again directly to the P2 vision motherboard. Yes it got a ZENMOUSE CONNECTOR. Then i got a cheap P2 2,5GHz controller along with a receiver. I removed the 5,8GHz one and replaced it. And it worked just fine after i synced them. Then i got a 250mw fatshark receiver with a cable prefitted to insert directly on the camera port. The same camera port the FC200 cam was connected to. It is the same port used for transmitters on usual p2s and it worked at once!

Then i got a iosd mini and a canbus cable. I connected the canbus cable on the canbus port on the P2 motherboard and soldered the video cables like they should be and yes, IT WORKED! The vision is actually just an usual P2. They have only changed the controller and inserted that stupid FC200 cam on it.
So you should't go around telling people a vision don't have a canbus port or a zenmouse port before knowing it.

I got a full thread about it here:
Turning a phantom 2 Vision to a phantom 2 with gimbal/gopro and fpv is possible

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers