Phantom Vision 2+ Gimbal Arm twist and bend

Reaction score
Hello Folks

My drone had what looked like a fairly minor crash with a tree after the unit stopped obeying the transmitters instructions. It was working fine in a very short preflight other than the SD card supposedly not being present. I powered off and powered back on and with seconds of takeoff it became unresponsive. The YouTube video of the crash is
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyway much to my surprise the gimbal arm is twisted and bent as seen in the attached picture. You may notice a slight uplift on the right hand side on the gimbal.

First is it possible to bend aluminium with a twist without it snapping. It seems applying heat may damage the ribbon and that seems a pain to replace.

Second If using a vice what part of the unit should I attack the device once detached.

This seems to be a common problem

Attachments

• IMG_1065.jpg
    IMG_1065.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 519
I have heard and seen several occupancies where the gimbal arm has been straightened. Most have disassembled the unit and used word and clamps to straighten. Not a real easy job taking here apart and reassembly. Saves a couple of hundred buck though.

Thanks for the reply Roy,

I have looked at some you tube videos and have read a number of posts about the disassembly. The ribbon cable seems to be glued so its unlikely you would be able to heat the aluminium to make it more pliable without damaging the ribbon.

As Im retired ( former IT Midrange etc) because of MS, intricate work is beyond me now but my local modelshop will hopefully help me out.

It is the fun of modelling etc

Andy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers