Phantom V2+ v3 flip of death

Reaction score
After two months hassle with the supplier in my country, I finally got my faulty Vision 2 Plus V2 replaced to a V3.

I received it yesterday and was AMAZED over how it is to fly with functional GPS! After receiving it, I upgraded to latest firmware (3.12), updated the main board, did IMU calibration on a level surface and a compass calibration pre flight. Doing 360 video pans with GPS lock, using IOC-functions and having them actually work, getting 10-12 satellites locked was just a dream come true compared to my GPS-faulty V2. I had three full 20min flights and everything was working perfectly. I flew it 200m out and 200m up, everything worked flawlessly!

But then, all of a sudden, I was about 50m out on the exact same place I flew two times before, taking a photo of the cabin next door. The altitude wasn't more than 5-10m. I was hovering it in place to take a photo, and it all of a sudden flips fully up side down and smashes into the ground. It was just absurd, I had three friends next to me watching and they have no idea what happened. There was no input on the controller, and the battery was about 40% when the crash occurred. GPS mode, no IOC. 12 sats locked. Controller was 4/5 charge. Wifi repeater at 90%. Iphone at 70%. Far out in the middle of nowhere in the Norwegian mountains, there is barely cell signal here. It just went for a full barrel roll, and bam, game over. Found it laying in the bushes covered in snow, the battery popped out as I lifted it up and after drying it up it seems like the gimbal now is screwed.

As I turn it on, the lights flash, and the Phantom beeps continuously without any LED-signals. The exact same sound as after you update it. Does anyone have any idea what this means? From what I know there's no way to find out which part is actually faulty than removing everything and connection the different additions one by one. My gimbal is working fine initially, but after moving it around it sits at a crooked angle and seems very out of shape. Connecting it to the computer does nothing, the Phantom software does not seem to make any contact with the Phantom.

I have had about 25-30 flights with my previous V2, have also had heaps of training-flights with my Hubsan X4 and never had anything like this happen. Have anyone else experienced anything like this? Other pilots out there with any clue to what could have caused this?

Sounds like a broken motor wire off the esc.

Reactions: burlbark
This certainly makes sense, I remember what direction it was facing and exactly which way it flipped, so I'm pretty sure its one of the right escs. Having a esc fail mid flight sure explains the flip. On the same flight I just had her out 250m in distance and up 200m in height, it is a miracle that this happened on the way back in, not more than 20m away from me! Imagine the esc failing at such distances/altitudes, or even above crowds with people in it. Luckily this was in woop woop, but I flew this quad with sterling confidence, and things could have ended real bad if I had been flying it elsewhere.

I'm getting some tools tomorrow to open her up, what should I look for to verify wether it's the esc or broken motor wire? A broken wire is easily identifiable, however a broken esc is something I'm not too sure I'd be able to diagnostic.

One of the 3 colored wires on either of the 4 ESC's if broke from solder will stand out right away, or straight away depending on language preference.

A bad or damaged ESC may show signs of burnt, melted mosfits. Compare their appearance between each other for signs of something wrong.

You will only need a 2mm Allen wrench to remove the top cover. Once you separate the cover the GPS wire connector can be lifted straight up. The connector should be addressed before re-installing the top cover again. See this thread for quick fix option: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/gps-plug-connection-fix.30912/

Similar event happened to me. P2V+ flipped and crashed upside down. Fortunately I was only 5 feet off the grass when it happened. Turned out to be a bad battery. Be sure and check your battery before using it again.

Similar event happened to me. P2V+ flipped and crashed upside down. Fortunately I was only 5 feet off the grass when it happened. Turned out to be a bad battery. Be sure and check your battery before using it again.

I am curious , Have had a few battery issues myself. How did the battery cause this etc?

This Happened To Me, Thankfully Was Able To Recover It. Went Back For Repair And Turned Out It Was Either A Faulty MC Or Compass As Both Of Those Parts Were Replaced.

Ended Up With The New Compass As I Have A V2.

Has Flown Perfect Since Then Over 40 Flights.

This Happened To Me, Thankfully Was Able To Recover It. Went Back For Repair And Turned Out It Was Either A Faulty MC Or Compass As Both Of Those Parts Were Replaced.

Ended Up With The New Compass As I Have A V2.

Has Flown Perfect Since Then Over 40 Flights.
Thanks for your reply, I guess I'll just have to send it in myself and see what diagnostic they make. A shame, though!

mine fell out of the sky a couple of days ago, it was only 4 weeks old and had done 14 flights, it was hovering and just dropped on one side and headed down like a missile, vanished out of site, I found it 20mins later it had hit a tree 200 metres away and fell to the ground, smashed to bits gimble and camera destroyed and 3 out of 4 of the motors melted into the frame. was obviously a dead short on one of the motors or a wire coming of the esc, Ive taken it back to dealer who has sent it back to dji ive mailed them 3 times now telling them I don't want it repaired or replaced as I have no confidence in the v3 now after reading all the crap about motors and esc faults and I'm demanding a refund as it was only 4 weeks old, and I want to get the phantom 3 which I hope will not have these issues, so far ive had no reply from dji
Check out video on my site
https://www.youtube.com/c/flightofthephantomuk

mine fell out of the sky a couple of days ago, it was only 4 weeks old and had done 14 flights, it was hovering and just dropped on one side and headed down like a missile, vanished out of site, I found it 20mins later it had hit a tree 200 metres away and fell to the ground, smashed to bits gimble and camera destroyed and 3 out of 4 of the motors melted into the frame. was obviously a dead short on one of the motors or a wire coming of the esc, Ive taken it back to dealer who has sent it back to dji ive mailed them 3 times now telling them I don't want it repaired or replaced as I have no confidence in the v3 now after reading all the crap about motors and esc faults and I'm demanding a refund as it was only 4 weeks old, and I want to get the phantom 3 which I hope will not have these issues, so far ive had no reply from dji
Check out video on my site
https://www.youtube.com/c/flightofthephantomuk
Sorry for your loss, it's a shame that these things are so fragile. My v3 is still at the repair shop where it has been almost 3 weeks now. The repair shop said that the motherboard is defect, and it's the first time they've seen this on a v3. It sucks being such a long time without it when I have paid such an amount of money for it. Hell, it's 3 months since I ordered the Phantom, and in 3 months I've had 5 days in total with a functioning unit. Rubbish. DJI Europe haven't answered my email I sent about a month ago either.

The V3 is going to prove itself worthy in many flights before I dare flying it far out or high up again, things can get pretty nasty pretty quick when they start screwing up.

This happened at 50 m and made a recovery from what looks like only 2 m above the ground. Check my video at:

First off without the GPS not plugged in you cannot get her to start up properly. Motors will not start. Since the crash check all the plugs on the gimbel to be sure they are tight and no loose pins. Smell the ESC' s to see if any have a burnt electronic smell. Visually look and feal the motor wires are the tight and solder joints look good. Visually and if you have a magnifying glass look at the ESC's and check the Mosfits for signs of smoke small holes or they look damaged. Turn the motors by hand do they all feal like they have the same resistance and turn freely. They may have a little resistance as the armature turns by the magnets, just a slight pull. If all that checks then plug in the tops shell GPS and see if she will power up with a full battery and the controller on. Let us know what color and sequence of lights you get on the rear led's.

That phantom later on on another flight did a power off at 8% and dropped from 60 m. Results in about 400 to 600 G impact. So it's basically toasted, but I went and bought another one another one.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4