Phantom V2+ dropped from sky. May be related to flyaways

Reaction score
The gimbal on my PV2+ died shortly after I purchased it so I sent it back for repair and after 5 weeks it was returned to me. I took it out and flew for a few hours and everything was great.

Then two days ago I was flying it around again, taking some video of area and when I was in a hover at about 200' it suddenly powered off and started falling. At about 100' the power kicked back on and I tried to kick the power up enough to get it back into a hover but it was already falling too fast.

It crashed on the roof of my house, broke the camera and gimbal mounts. Dented it in pretty bad on the gimbal mount and bent the landing gear in half.

The battery was fully charged as were the range extender and remote control batteries. The camera was recording at the time and I am trying to get the video off it but the file is not complete so it needs some type of repair.

I believe that this may be related to the flyaway problem some people are having. Something caused it to cut power to the motors from a few seconds but that was long enough crash.

Anyone seen this before? DJI???

Is it possible to add a third party gimbal and Hero camera to the PV2+

Anybody know how to repair the MP4 that didn't close before the crash?

Mike

you can try to plug the sd card back in the phantom and power it on..wait for about 10 or 15 seconds and it should finalize the file.

I'll try that but the lower half of the gimbal (and camera) is no longer connected AND the upper part has a great dent in it from the gimpal impacting it. So I don't know that it even gets power or functions.

Lost mine on the 4th flight. Flew away and I never found it. DJI is replacing it for 50% off. I would try to file a warranty return with DJI and get a refund or a brand new aircraft.

This program should fix the file. Be sure to use settings for the phantom, and you will need to use any good file for a reference file.

You can recover half the file free to see if it works, but will have to buy full version to recover whole file.

Worked for me.

http://grauonline.de/cms2/?page_id=5

My Phantom V2+ has hard landed twice after firmware upgrade. It goes into a wobbley high speed descent but the props are still turning and the camera is recording. I've tried to get it out of GPS mode and fly out of it but it's like I have no controller. It still flies and no gimbal or camera damage yet. I've been flying over water a lot and am just lucky its happened over land as I approach home and start to descend. I'm seeing that this is not that unusual but this never happened until I upgraded the firmware. I want to see if it's the firmware.Does anyone know the user and password info to enter once I get access to the door in "upgrade"? I understand it's possible to downgrade. I'm not sure if I'm in the right place as this is my first post here.

Well I certainly won't shell out 50% to get a new unit seeing as I believe this was caused by a program bug. From reading other posts this doesn't appear to be a problem unique to me but to many new or recently upgraded Phantoms.

If they would just send me a new gimbal/camera assembly I'd be happy.

maxflight said:
Well I certainly won't shell out 50% to get a new unit seeing as I believe this was caused by a program bug. From reading other posts this doesn't appear to be a problem unique to me but to many new or recently upgraded Phantoms.

If they would just send me a new gimbal/camera assembly I'd be happy.

I think it's very possible the battery wasn't fully inserted and vibration eventually lead to power loss. I had this happen to me yesterday, except I caught it before taking off.

Unless you tug on your battery after installing it, it's possible something like what you experienced can take place.

I'm thinking you're right- sounds like a power loss issue, probably related to the battery. It's a tight fit and if not locked, it could vibrate loose wnough to break contact. On another battery issue, I keep a piece of tape on the controller battery door. Very easy for the door to pop off in your hands, and then one or more batteries fall out on the ground.

If DJI is offering a gimbal at half price, take it and run.

The battery was tight. Fully charged and the camera kept recording the whole flight until it crashed. Power loss, then drop then power kicked back on. Battery still in the phantom after recovery and power fired up fine. No, I think this is a firmware problem.

I just need to recover the image.

Online it looks like a new camera and gimbal is $699

I'll be buying a different heli if I can't get this replaced.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj