Phantom v1 mini iOSD

ElGuano said:
legrandphoto said:
Thanks for the speedy reply. What you said totally makes sense. I think I'm just going to bypass the iOSD mini. Not worth putting the GCU back in and negating all the work I did to just install the upgrade board. Not interested in to the sarawath upgrade. Any tips on connecting the avl58 to the upgrade board?

Wish I could help with the AVL58, I don't have that. I assume the AVL58 comes with the wiring you'll need to hook it up to the upgrade board. You'll need battery+, battery-, video in, and video ground.

If you're not a big fan of soldering/crimping, see if the DJI FPV hub will work with your setup (it's meant for the P2 but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a P1).

Yep the FPV Hub works fine in a P1, and is what I recommend to those using Zenmuse + iOSD mini + AVL58 on P1's with the upgrade board.

http://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc/vi ... category=0

OI Photography said:
ElGuano said:
legrandphoto said:
Thanks for the speedy reply. What you said totally makes sense. I think I'm just going to bypass the iOSD mini. Not worth putting the GCU back in and negating all the work I did to just install the upgrade board. Not interested in to the sarawath upgrade. Any tips on connecting the avl58 to the upgrade board?

Wish I could help with the AVL58, I don't have that. I assume the AVL58 comes with the wiring you'll need to hook it up to the upgrade board. You'll need battery+, battery-, video in, and video ground.

If you're not a big fan of soldering/crimping, see if the DJI FPV hub will work with your setup (it's meant for the P2 but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a P1).

Yep the FPV Hub works fine in a P1, and is what I recommend to those using Zenmuse + iOSD mini + AVL58 on P1's with the upgrade board.

http://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc/vi ... category=0

I was looking at the DJI FPV hub when I hopefully upgrade to a P2. Not a fan of soldering if I can help it. I see all the leads have plugs both ends apart from one. And that looks a bit like the one already fitted to the P2. Is that used if you want to fit a 3rd party FPV setup?

fly-catchers said:
I was looking at the DJI FPV hub when I hopefully upgrade to a P2. Not a fan of soldering if I can help it. I see all the leads have plugs both ends apart from one. And that looks a bit like the one already fitted to the P2. Is that used if you want to fit a 3rd party FPV setup?

Exactly...that's the output you can use to wire up to any non-DJI FPV transmitter you may use. The iOSD mini remains connected to the hub in that case, so you don't even have to connect it in-line with the feed to the transmitter.

Hey guys, I tried to install the mini osd with the pmu v2 in to the phantom 1. The osd works but when i turn on the go pro I get the screen to flicker, with just the osd it's fine. or just the gopro its fine but when i turn them both on it wont work together. I am using the kumbacam fpv setup. any ideas on what may be wrong? tried the same setup on my 450 flamewheel and same results. Thanks Jay

cabojay said:
Hey guys, I tried to install the mini osd with the pmu v2 in to the phantom 1. The osd works but when i turn on the go pro I get the screen to flicker, with just the osd it's fine. or just the gopro its fine but when i turn them both on it wont work together. I am using the kumbacam fpv setup. any ideas on what may be wrong? tried the same setup on my 450 flamewheel and same results. Thanks Jay

You may have some crossed wires. Can you change the channel on your transmitter?

I am going to do the sarawuth mod, for that im going to use a female can bus cable conected to the mini iosd thru the empty can bus in of the mini iosd, cut and solder in the board the Ch and Cl cables, but im in doubt how to manage the other two, can i splice the cable with the GND and RV and conect it directly to the x3 without soldering them directly to the board? What happends to the can bus cable the comes attached to the mini iosd with this method?
Has anyone try this, any pictures or video?
Thanks

David Covo said:
I am going to do the sarawuth mod, for that im going to use a female can bus cable conected to the mini iosd thru the empty can bus in of the mini iosd, cut and solder in the board the Ch and Cl cables, but im in doubt how to manage the other two, can i splice the cable with the GND and RV and conect it directly to the x3 without soldering them directly to the board? What happends to the can bus cable the comes attached to the mini iosd with this method?
Has anyone try this, any pictures or video?
Thanks

Check Dewey's great Youtube videos detailing the Sarawuth mod here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?internalc ... 1nq44GDkOc

Most people who do the mod keep the free CANBus port on the iOSD free, in case they want to add a Datalink or BTU or Lightbridge after the fact. Which means they splice up or replace the attached iOSD CANBus cable to solder onto the upgrade board.

I'm not sure I really understand your question completely, but for the RV and GND cables, you can take those from the 3-pin cable on the mainboard that goes to X3. I would solder it onto the pad on the upgrade board rather than splice into the cable, since some CANBus peripherals draw a lot of power (and technically CANBus power is 6V and not the 5V you're getting from the upgrade board).

Has anyone seen or used this" RC Mini OSD System & GPS Module for FPV Transmitter Camera Fatshark Quad Hex UK" from Blade Hobbies in the UK.

Just found it on Ebay and has the following desciption:

This is a Mini OSD System specially designed for use with small electric powered models. Its light weight and compact design makes it ideal for use on micro planes or any other model where saving weight is crucial.

This GPS OSD system enables you to view vital data real-time while flying your FPV model. Things such as battery voltage, flight time, ground speed and GPS coordinates are all within view while using this system. This is a must have for you FPV model!

Features:

- GPS Coordinate Display
- Time Display
- Ground Speed Display
- Voltmeter
- Stopwatch
- RSSI Receiver Signal Strength Detection
- Programmable Display Content
- Supports NTSC and PAL TV Signal
- Supports Anti-Glare Shade Control Signal
- Supports Manual Calibration

Specs:

Weight: Main Board - 4.6g / GPS Module - 25g
Dimensions: Main Board - 34x4x20mm / GPS Module - 45x10x42mm
Working Voltage: Main Board - 7.4~12V / GPS Module - 5V

I am very interested in getting one as I really want OSD to match with my Fat Shark Attitude and would really appreciate the wiser knowledge from this forum on which way to go

Cheers
Ian

Hi OI Photography, thanks for your response.
I am looking for an OSD and the one on EBay had GPS incorporated in it and please correct me if I am wrong but the DJI iOSD mini does not?

I would prefer to keep all DJI compatible with the Phantom.

Just unsure which way to jump

Many thanks
Ian

You're correct that the iOSD mini does not have its own GPS sensor built in, but it's not necessary as it reads all the data straight from the NAZA (GPS, battery level, heading, etc etc)...the iOSD mini doesn't have any sensors itself.

If you go with any aftermarket OSD, they won't be able to take the data right from the NAZA, so that's why they need their own GPS and other sensors.

Unless you have a strong reason to use an aftermarket OSD, the iOSD mini is the simplest solution for use on a Phantom (and is pretty cost-competitive with the other options).

The caveat is that if you want to use the iOSD mini, you'll need to either have or add a canbus port on your Phantom (which are not native to the P1). There's a couple of ways you can do that on a P1 though, depending on what other gear you already have (i.e. upgrade board for gimbal).

Hi OI Photography, thanks for your quick response.

On what you and others have recommended in PP, I think I will go with the iOSD mini and as you stated it's the simplest solution for use on a P1.

I have not upgraded any boards, the only thing I have done is the Phantom comes with the hidden power cable that is behind one of the white grommets on the underside. I used that to power the gimble and then soldered and covered the joins with heat shrink that's it.

I just want to get it in the air and maximise my FPV experience.

Kind Regards, Ian

hey guys where to connect mini iosd on phantom2 h4-3d version 3 (with new type compass) ?

Hi Robak, since this is the Phantom1 section, you might be better served by asking in the P2 forum, as the boards and components are different.

Hi everyone I'm installing the zenmuse h3 3d on my phantom 1 with the upgrade board. If I do that, the sarawuth mod is the only way for me to use the iosd mini?

I use the s-osd and it takes the gps data and voltage plus gps coordinates and altitude all from the naza. It is half the price of the iosd also

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

BTW there is a V3 version of the board that has a CAN-bus output connection that will work for iosd, ect. It's not a standard DJI CAN-bus plug but you can make a plug that will work(I think I used a battery balance connector). Note last postings that say our wiring was reversed from what's shown in the picture.
DJI Upgrade Board has CAN bus? | DJI Phantom Forum

BTW there is a V3 version of the board that has a CAN-bus output connection that will work for iosd, ect. It's not a standard DJI CAN-bus plug but you can make a plug that will work(I think I used a battery balance connector). Note last postings that say our wiring was reversed from what's shown in the picture.
DJI Upgrade Board has CAN bus? | DJI Phantom Forum

Hi ken ferg, I installed the board and I notice a connection that others boards I saw in pictures and videos don't have so I'm wondering if that is what you are talking about (I'm uploading pictures). I also got this cable with the upgrade board kit, any idea what is it for?

Attachments

• 20151216_231002.jpg
    20151216_231002.jpg
    870.8 KB · Views: 316
  • 20151216_231052.jpg
    20151216_231052.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 312
fsz8
Sorry about the slow response. Just noticed the question and figured I'd post what I had in case you(or anyone else) could still use it.
First: yes, that's the Can-bus capable plug. Not sure what the 2 wire plug is, I didn't use it.
Basically I made up a jumper connector using a 4 wire micro JST connector(small plug) on one end and both a male and female JST-HX battery balance type plug connector on the other end. All are available cheap on ebay. The female JST-HX plug came with wires which is why I used the male HX plug, it was easy to plug in as an adapter. But you could just solder the micro directly to the male HX plug if your good with soldering to tiny pins. The drawing is something I made as a quick reference for my self (yeah it's ugly) but it shows the points you will have to match up. And note: they are not in the same order on both ends. The male pins of the HX plug do not perfectly match the DJI plug but will work if you bend them out a bit to match up. Also you may want to add some tape or a dab of silicone to keep the HX-DJI connection solidly together because the pins are not real long, but I didn't add anything and have not had a problem so far. Lastly short wires are nice and tidy but will heat up the little pieces of heat shirink tubing if your not quick and have a good soldering iron, using longer wires will make things easier.

Forum IOSD upgrage 002.JPG Forum IOSD upgrage 003.JPG Forum IOSD upgrage 005.JPG

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj