Phantom v1 mini iOSD

Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to install the mini iOSD so i can overlay it onto my go pro video feed. I was wondering if I need anything extra or can I plug the mini iOSD right into the flight controller. I do not have any other upgrades on it so far, so it is completely stock inside. Any help guy I would appreciate it. Thanks

Check out the DJI website. I believe they have the diagram to steer you in the right direction. I think it's in the NAZA v2 link. But first you need to upgrade your board in the Phantom v1.....i think.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ctalvara said:
Hey guys, I want to install the mini iOSD so i can overlay it onto my go pro video feed. I was wondering if I need anything extra or can I plug the mini iOSD right into the flight controller. I do not have any other upgrades on it so far, so it is completely stock inside. Any help guy I would appreciate it. Thanks

For a Phantom 1, you may need some extra equipment. Do you already have FPV set up? Do you have a Zenmuse gimbal? Do you have a 3rd party gimbal?

Generally, you'll need:

- CAN-Bus along with a free CAN-Bus port, provided either by the Phantom upgrade board and some fine soldering, or with a PMU-V2 module.

- FPV setup. You'll need a VTX on the Phantom, and a VRX and googles/field monitor on the ground

- USB video cable for your GoPro (if you already have an FPV setup for your GoPro you probably have this).

If you have all the above, the iOSD mini is a pretty easy install.

OK so I do not currently have my video transmitter, but I will get once I know everything I need for installing the iOSD. I do have a 3rd party Walkera gimbal that is powered by the balanced connector on my P1 batteries. I opened it up tonight and I do not have the upgraded board, PMU or a CANbus port that I could see. I have another question also. Since I am not using the zenmuse gimbal do I need the upgraded board and PMU? thanks again

ctalvara said:
OK so I do not currently have my video transmitter, but I will get once I know everything I need for installing the iOSD. I do have a 3rd party Walkera gimbal that is powered by the balanced connector on my P1 batteries. I opened it up tonight and I do not have the upgraded board, PMU or a CANbus port that I could see. I have another question also. Since I am not using the zenmuse gimbal do I need the upgraded board and PMU? thanks again

Ah, you opened the shell and confirmed the mainboard, great first step.

Yes, you need CAN-Bus for the iOSD, regardless of if you use a Zenmuse (I asked about the Zenmuse because answering yes tells me whether you have CANbus support already). You can get CANBus EITHER with the upgrade board or the PMU-V2. Your options are:

1. Get an upgrade board (~$60), do all the unsoldering/soldering to install it. Then do the Sarawuth mod do add a new CANBus wire to attach to the iOSD mini. Or;

2. Get a PMU-V2 (~$60), solder it in and connect it to your GPS/NAZA. Then you can plug the iOSD mini into the PMU.

Once that's done, you'll still need a USB to video-out cable for the GoPro and a vTX to transmit the signal to your vRX/monitor. The gimbal doesn't need to be part of the electronics (but make sure the camera mount on the gimbal does not obstruct the GoPro's USB port).

I suggest you watch the video. Could save you unnecessary purchases and soldering . If you have the naza v2 then you have a PMU already on it . I guess if you use the zemuse then it's worth upgrading the board anyway ?
Good luck

FC40 Pilot said:
I suggest you watch the video. Could save you unnecessary purchases and soldering . If you have the naza v2 then you have a PMU already on it . I guess if you use the zemuse then it's worth upgrading the board anyway ?
Good luck

Naza v2 doesn't have a CANBUS port. Without that I don't know of a way to connect the mini IOSD. In the video Richard connects the mini IOSD to a PMU V2.

I've recently installed a PMU v2 and mini IOSD and the 2 things I found was that I needed quite a powerful soldering iron to melt the main battery power connections to connect the PMU, and that most of the work was soldering all the wires for the camera to IOSD and IOSD to VTx.

The result though is invaluable, for such a small amount of effort. I would not want to fly without my OSD and it's really changed how I FPV. I have a lot more confidence.

Only problem I've had is that the mini IOSD reports the battery voltage as being 0.2 volts higher than it really is. Once I worked this out (after flying a few batteries to around 10% remaining capacity) I know exactly when I need to land.

Wow the feed back on this board is more than helpful. Thanks again for the quick replies. After reading some suggestions I think my best bet is to get the PMU. I looked into the mod to add the CANbus from the new boar but this also allows me to use the zenmuse gimbal if I ever upgrade. Thanks again. Its going to be around a month but I will let you guys know how I make out.

FC40 Pilot said:
Good luck

That's only if you buy the NAZA separately, in a retail package. The Phantom comes with a NAZA-M V2 but has quite a bit that isn't retail (naked GPS, separate compass, different LED/USB board, and voltage regulation through the Phantom mainboard). Also, no PMU-V2 module is included with any Phantom, regardless of what NAZA is inside.

ctalvara said:
Wow the feed back on this board is more than helpful. Thanks again for the quick replies. After reading some suggestions I think my best bet is to get the PMU. I looked into the mod to add the CANbus from the new boar but this also allows me to use the zenmuse gimbal if I ever upgrade. Thanks again. Its going to be around a month but I will let you guys know how I make out.

The whole point of the upgrade board is to allow use of the Zenmuse without needing a PMU or GCU. If you don't mind soldering, the upgrade board is the more efficient route. It's <10g more weight fully installed, whereas a PMU + GCU is going to be ~65g, almost as much as an extra GoPro. Your choice though; I opted for a highly-customized PMU installation for my iOSD mini.

Interesting point you bring up. I may look further into the new board and the mod to add a CANbus instead. I have some time till I am going to tackle the project so I can figure out exactly the method I want to do it. Question, what PMU are you using, you said it was highly customizable?
Another question. If I were to go the route of upgrading the board and do the Sarawuth mod can I add a BTU module to the CANbus on the mini iOSD?

ctalvara said:
Interesting point you bring up. I may look further into the new board and the mod to add a CANbus instead. I have some time till I am going to tackle the project so I can figure out exactly the method I want to do it. Question, what PMU are you using, you said it was highly customizable?
Another question. If I were to go the route of upgrading the board and do the Sarawuth mod can I add a BTU module to the CANbus on the mini iOSD?

I extensively mod my phantom to save weight where possible. So I have the stock mainboard, pmu and iOsd all modified with excess material and shells removed, thinner cables and connectors installed, etc. In all, it's ~40g less than a standard install. Not many go to those lengths, not does anyone need to.

Yes, you can have the btu connected to the open canBus port on the iOsd, my other quad has that setup.

Awaiting my IOSD mini to arrive so will also keep you posted on my install/method

I am in the process of doing these exact changes to my 1.1.1 phantom. I was previously running the PMU v2 and the gimbal GCU to power the zenmuse H3-2D and all was good. I've been researching an FPV setup and decided to go with the upgrade board, AVL58 and the iOSD mini. I installed the upgrade board today (success) i reinstalled the PMU v2 for the can bus port to run the iOSD mini. Heres the problem... everything powered back up and checked out in the Naza assistant software but the gimbal after powering on and straightening out started a slow drift to a not level and doesn't resound to the gimbal control lever on the remote.... but when I removed the PMU v2 and setup just the gimbal all works as it should. So whats up with that? any one have an idea? I was able to connect the iOSD Mini to the assistant software and install the firmware update so I know it was connected and receiving data.

Could this be my problem?
DanCH said:
FC40 Pilot said:
I've recently installed a PMU v2 and mini IOSD and the 2 things I found was that I needed quite a powerful soldering iron to melt the main battery power connections to connect the PMU, and that most of the work was soldering all the wires for the camera to IOSD and IOSD to VTx.

Also with the the GCU had a usb port to connect it to the gimbal assistant software. How do you do this now without that usb port?

thanks

legrandphoto said:
I am in the process of doing these exact changes to my 1.1.1 phantom. I was previously running the PMU v2 and the gimbal GCU to power the zenmuse H3-2D and all was good. I've been researching an FPV setup and decided to go with the upgrade board, AVL58 and the iOSD mini. I installed the upgrade board today (success) i reinstalled the PMU v2 for the can bus port to run the iOSD mini. Heres the problem... everything powered back up and checked out in the Naza assistant software but the gimbal after powering on and straightening out started a slow drift to a not level and doesn't resound to the gimbal control lever on the remote.... but when I removed the PMU v2 and setup just the gimbal all works as it should. So whats up with that? any one have an idea? I was able to connect the iOSD Mini to the assistant software and install the firmware update so I know it was connected and receiving data.

Could this be my problem?
DanCH said:
FC40 Pilot said:

Also with the the GCU had a usb port to connect it to the gimbal assistant software. How do you do this now without that usb port?

thanks

So you're running a Phantom upgrade board for the H3-2D...AND a PMU-V2 for the iOSD?

That won't work (at least, not without some specific wiring modifications). You're only able to plug one CANBus line into the EXP port of the NAZA. If you plug in your upgrade board, you have your gimbal, but not your OSD. If you plug in your PMU-V2, you have the iOSD but not the gimbal controller. Whether you have GPS depends on where you elected to plug that in.

Which EXP wire are you leaving unplugged?

You'll either need to reinstall the GCU and run all your CAN peripherals off the PMU-V2 (making the upgrade board useless), or remove the PMU-V2 and perform the Sarawuth mod on the upgrade board to add the iOSD-mini.

Thanks for the speedy reply. What you said totally makes sense. I think I'm just going to bypass the iOSD mini. Not worth putting the GCU back in and negating all the work I did to just install the upgrade board. Not interested in to the sarawath upgrade. Any tips on connecting the avl58 to the upgrade board?

legrandphoto said:
Thanks for the speedy reply. What you said totally makes sense. I think I'm just going to bypass the iOSD mini. Not worth putting the GCU back in and negating all the work I did to just install the upgrade board. Not interested in to the sarawath upgrade. Any tips on connecting the avl58 to the upgrade board?

Wish I could help with the AVL58, I don't have that. I assume the AVL58 comes with the wiring you'll need to hook it up to the upgrade board. You'll need battery+, battery-, video in, and video ground.

If you're not a big fan of soldering/crimping, see if the DJI FPV hub will work with your setup (it's meant for the P2 but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a P1).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl