Phantom V1.2 with iosd I want to add a gimbal

Reaction score
Hi, as the subject says I have a Phantom V1.2 that I have already added some stuff to. I wish to add an inexpensive gimbal and I was hoping to make sure that I am able to do that with my quad already outfitted with some other gear.
First I have added a immersonrc tx for my fatshark goggles and I also put the mini iosd with pmu on the bird. Oh, I also got the flytrex installed also.
I wish to buy the a gimbal. I see I will need to do the upgrade board and that is not a problem but will it work with the other stuff. I am ready to order the upgrade kit that has the parts for the transmitter also but would there be anything else I might need to get or do to make this work. Thanks. and anyone with a proven setup please share. I don't want to recreate the wheel so your experience is welcome.

Which gimbal were you thinking of in particular (if any)? If you're not getting a Zenmuse then you don't need the Phantom upgrade board, it just adds a PMU (which you have) and a Zenmuse GCU (which you can't use with other gimbals).

What transmitter upgrade kit were you referring to?

My Phantom was a 1.2 originally, and they're pretty flexible for non-DJI gimbals.

OI Photography said:
Which gimbal were you thinking of in particular (if any)? If you're not getting a Zenmuse then you don't need the Phantom upgrade board, it just adds a PMU (which you have) and a Zenmuse GCU (which you can't use with other gimbals).

What transmitter upgrade kit were you referring to?

My Phantom was a 1.2 originally, and they're pretty flexible for non-DJI gimbals.

Thanks for the help. sometimes I feel so stupid as I am unable to find a source that explaines everything so I don't need to ask stupid questions. But I think you are saying all I need is the tilt lever in the transmitter and something like this should work??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walkera-G-2D-Br ... 4ad64f8056

And this is without any upgrade board in my phantom.
I would like to have buttery smooth video, like my Phantom 2 vision +, does this gimbal provide that, or does one need the zenmuse h3 3d to achieve that goal. I saw one fellow who had a pretty decent gimbal, but he was still thinking of upgrading to the zenmuse but I did not see why he was not completely satisfied with, I think it was the Tarot.

I did looking and found a install manual for an inexpensive gimbal and I think my question was answered. But...

this brings up what is the difference between a 2d gimbal and a 3d.. (I know, 1 axis) I watched a video and it almost seemed like the 2d gimbal did not work very well, especially when compared to a 3d.. I look everywhere and it seems the only I gimbal that offers 3d is the zenmuse. If I have to I will spend the $380.00 but it would be nice to see any options. Are there any other gimbals that work as good as the zenmuse?

thanks

I'm pretty sure the tilt lever on the back of the controller will work even without the upgrade board, as long as you connect the gimbal's tilt control channel to the F2 output on the NAZA and enable gimbal control in the Assistant software.

The 3rd axis in a gimbal can make a big difference in some vids, and very little difference in others, but I consider it a must-have if you want to make sure you have everything possible on your side when it comes to smooth footage. I can often get nice smooth pans with just a 2-axis, but there's plenty of times where I'm glad I had the 3rd axis to overcome vibrations and such beyond my ability to prevent or eliminate via stick input.

There's at least 3 other 3 Axis gopro gimbals suitable for the Phantom:

-Arris CM3000
-DYS
-RCTimer ASP

However, none of them have the smooth integration with the Phantom's systems (or any other DJI gear), and that along with the H3-3D's low weight are what made me decide to go with DJI for the gimbal...and so far I'm glad I did. It's not perfect (see threads on the ribbon cable), but I think I put my money in the right place for me.

The decision for whether to get a 2- or 3-axis really depends on how critical it is to always get vid without yaw wiggle or judder.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31