Phantom V1.1 does not turn on

Reaction score
I just picked up a Phantom V1.2. when I plug in the battery the lights blink once then go off. I think I should replace the Naza m module first. would that be the correct order to address this issue. I have been unable to find info otherwise. thank you

ps. It did kind of blow my mind that this quad has a two antenna receiver in it with the Naza m module. I assume that is how this model was sold, can anyone confirm?

NOTICE:
I have edited the subject to better reflect what we are dealing with

Re: Phantom V1.2 does not turn on

1.2's have the single antenna receiver as stock, the dual antenna unit didn't come around till the final version (1.1.1) and requires a different controller (SJ6 for 1.2, DT6 for 1.1.1).

I don't know if swapping the NAZA is the best approach just yet. Are you saying there's no lights/sound from the Phantom at all after that first blink when you plug it in?

If the NAZA was bad but the rest of the Phantom was still receiving power, you would get loud beeping and a flashing LED...so I'm guessing it's a more fundamental power issue than that.

Here is a picture and I misspoke and it is a V1.1 thats what it says V1.1 not V1.1.1, just two ones. (oh I could have fun with this but back to business).

Is there a version Phantom V1.1? anyway this is under the hood. nothing looks bad, and when no change in what it does if I pull everything off except for one esc/motor and X3 which must be power to the Naza m module.

Attachments

• 20140925_191041_LLS.jpeg
    20140925_191041_LLS.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,795
  • 20140925_193007_LLS.jpeg
    20140925_193007_LLS.jpeg
    36.5 KB · Views: 920
Just to augment my supplies I have picked up a Naza M (well it is being shipped). New Red rocket hobbies has them for $109.00. Kinda cool hobby shop and the closest one to me.

I turn on remote, then plug in battery. the lights blink twice and the chimes makes it sound and then everything seems to go off. (god I hate how stupid I sound) by chimes I mean that musical tune it plays when you plug in one.

I have a couple of main boards laying around and as I am swapping one in a Vision, I could do this one at the same time. I notice that the main board looks to be the same as the one in my V1.1.1 they both say wk 300 V4.

But I wonder about my whole approach. It looks like all the manuals show only a single antenna receiver. Not that this is a major issue, but the entire V1.1.1 line has two antennas but I am having trouble finding documentation specific to that model. Or this model V1.1

If I unplug x3 (power to the naza m, I am guessing) (trying to read that schematic give me a headache) and plug in the battery the lights just blink once go off and it beeps every second. I think that is what is supposed to happen with the Naza M not part of the system, cause thats what happens on my V1.1.1 .

This makes me think that it is the Naza M that is sucking down the system. what do you think?

Wedeliver said:
But I wonder about my whole approach. It looks like all the manuals show only a single antenna receiver. Not that this is a major issue, but the entire V1.1.1 line has two antennas but I am having trouble finding documentation specific to that model. Or this model V1.1

That unit has a Phantom 2 receiver in it, the same receiver was also used in the Phantom 1.1.1., the correct transmitter for that unit is a DJ6, an "S" transmitter will not bind to that receiver.

Wayne

Wedeliver said:
I turn on remote, then plug in battery. the lights blink twice and the chimes makes it sound and then everything seems to go off. (god I hate how stupid I sound) by chimes I mean that musical tune it plays when you plug in one.

There is a button and an LED on the bottom of the receiver ajacent to the antenna connectors, if that LED goes from red to out after your transmitter is powered up, your are good to go, if it remains red that indicaties the receiver is not detecting a transmitter, either the receiver is defective or your transmitter is not transmitting, if it is flashing green, that indicates the receiver is not bound to the transmitter.

P2rec.jpg

To bind, turn on the transmitter when the LED begins flashing green, press the button until the LED flashed red and then release, the LED should go out and now your transmitter is bound to your receiver.

Wayne

Thank you very much Channel 1, I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond. I will be doing further tests on this bird this morning and I will report back. I don't think the receiver, at this point, is the issue. I think that some lights stay on when I test a working unit with receiver unplugged from Naza module. But this unit goes to a dead look as explained above. No communication through usb and nothing seems to work. I have a replacement control module coming today I think and I have replacement main boards, I wonder if a bad motor or esc could pull down the system and make it appear off.

I just have not seen a Naza M with a two receiver board, and I have not seen a Phantom V1.1 (only 2 1's, not 1 or 3)

OI Photography said:
1.2's have the single antenna receiver as stock, the dual antenna unit didn't come around till the final version (1.1.1) and requires a different controller (SJ6 for 1.2, DT6 for 1.1.1).

I don't know if swapping the NAZA is the best approach just yet. Are you saying there's no lights/sound from the Phantom at all after that first blink when you plug it in?

If the NAZA was bad but the rest of the Phantom was still receiving power, you would get loud beeping and a flashing LED...so I'm guessing it's a more fundamental power issue than that.

So, simple test it is not the Naza. just plugged everything into another and got the same results. So now I will remove and replace the main board. I think I have an upgrade board laying around here somewhere. I cannot think of there being anything else that could cause this issue. But I do wonder if it is necessary to have the upgraded main board when you use the 2 antenna receiver... but if I unplug the receiver from the Naza it behaves the same, so I doubt that I this is the problem.
So, my very well versed friend, you think that I have gotten a unit that had the receiver swapped out with a 2 antenna one.

I got a Phantom 2 Vision that I need to replace the main board and I will do the Phantom v1.1 next..

Wedeliver said:
OI Photography said:
if it is necessary to have the upgraded main board when you use the 2 antenna receiver... but if I unplug the receiver from the Naza it behaves the same, so I doubt that I this is the problem.

No it is not, the P2 receiver will work with a P1 main board.

Also don't know if I already posted but the cables from the receiver to the NAZA need to be, the pins near the antenna connectors connect to to X1 the other pins connect to X2.

Wayne

channel 1 said:
Wedeliver said:
OI Photography said:
if it is necessary to have the upgraded main board when you use the 2 antenna receiver... but if I unplug the receiver from the Naza it behaves the same, so I doubt that I this is the problem.

No it is not, the P2 receiver will work with a P1 main board.

Also don't know if I already posted but the cables from the receiver to the NAZA need to be, the pins near the antenna connectors connect to to X1 the other pins connect to X2.

Wayne

Hi Wayne, thanks for your reply and just to talk this out.. the reason that the 2 antenna receiver works is that it only connects to Naza and not the MC (as main board is called I think). Is that a correct way to understand it? And thanks for pointing out the correct order that those two antenna attach to the Naza.. Which is dumb since the cables are the same length and the one closest to the antennas is further away.. Thanks for setting that straight! :)

Do you think that replacing the MC will address the issue? Plug it in blinks, beeps.. nada..

For more info, If I unplug one esc, for instance, it will make a beep....beep.....beep..... kinda thing.

Craig

Wedeliver said:
channel 1 said:
Which is dumb since the cables are the same length and the one closest to the antennas is further away.. Thanks for setting that straight! :)

I haven't had time to dig into what DJI is doing with that receiver and the X1 X2 wiring, if it was a diversity receiver it should only need an X1 connection, but maybe it is a transceiver. I just don't know and DJI isn't making it easy to find out.

Unplugged an ESC will beep that's normal.

Any chance you might have a volt meter? If so measure the voltage between red and brown on the cable from the board to the NAZA X3. It should be 5 volts red + Brown -.

If you have that, the board should be good to go.

Wayne

Wedeliver said:
Hi Wayne, thanks for your reply and just to talk this out.. the reason that the 2 antenna receiver works is that it only connects to Naza and not the MC (as main board is called I think). Craig

The main board powers the NAZA with 5 volts D.C. and the NAZA powers the radio.

Wayne

Wedeliver said:
the reason that the 2 antenna receiver works is that it only connects to Naza and not the MC (as main board is called I think). Is that a correct way to understand it?

Just to be clear on that point, the NAZA is the "MC" (Master Controller). The board it's mounted on with all the connections is just called the mainboard, or the "upgrade board" if you have that newer one installed.

All Phantom receivers from models P1.0 to P2V+ connect directly to the NAZA only, never to the mainboard. The receivers in P1's with one antenna have only one connection to the NAZA, and dual antenna = dual connections to it (one for the main 6 channels, one for the X1 gimbal tilt control only).

channel 1 said:
Wedeliver said:
channel 1 said:
Which is dumb since the cables are the same length and the one closest to the antennas is further away.. Thanks for setting that straight! :)

I haven't had time to dig into what DJI is doing with that receiver and the X1 X2 wiring, if it was a diversity receiver it should only need an X1 connection, but maybe it is a transceiver. I just don't know and DJI isn't making it easy to find out.

Unplugged an ESC will beep that's normal.

Any chance you might have a volt meter? If so measure the voltage between red and brown on the cable from the board to the NAZA X3. It should be 5 volts red + Brown -.

If you have that, the board should be good to go.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I did as you instructed and I get 5.4 volts between those two wires. After plugging everything back in I noticed that I am getting a light on the receiver when the TX is off.. turn it on the light goes off so I think I am getting closer to it working. I thought I had tested that before and got nothing but that is besides the point since it now is doing that. So I tried another LED module and still after 2 lights blinks and the loading sound everything looks to be off. I try usb and get nada.. even to the new led module. so, what do ya think I should poke at next? So the esc's all have a connection to the main board, do you think if one of them were bad it could cause this? And thanks for your help.

OI Photography said:
Wedeliver said:
the reason that the 2 antenna receiver works is that it only connects to Naza and not the MC (as main board is called I think). Is that a correct way to understand it?

Just to be clear on that point, the NAZA is the "MC" (Master Controller). The board it's mounted on with all the connections is just called the mainboard, or the "upgrade board" if you have that newer one installed.

All Phantom receivers from models P1.0 to P2V+ connect directly to the NAZA only, never to the mainboard. The receivers in P1's with one antenna have only one connection to the NAZA, and dual antenna = dual connections to it (one for the main 6 channels, one for the X1 gimbal tilt control only).

Hey Ol, thank you for setting that straight also.. I did want clairification on those names and nomincature. (and I can't seplll for the life of me). I am learning and everyones help is appreciated.

Craig

Hey Craig,

How did things turn out?

I've got the same board, WK 300 CTRL. Mine is V4 though.
I'm thinking about upgrading so I have a CAN Bus. I'd like to add iOSD to my FC40, Model P330D, "V2. 0. 0".
The they's say it can't be done, without the new board. I'm starting to believe them.
Sarawuth's hack is on a different board and I have not found a hack to add the CAN Bus Port to my WK 300 V4 circuit board.
http://www.sarawuth.com/2014/01/dji-pha ... -bus-port/

I'm interested to know what your outcome was and if you have any thoughts on my issue.

Thanks

I'd blame it on an ESC, as that's what the Phantom can do with a blown ESC. But that's with the Vision Plus perhaps and not this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20