Phantom v1.1.1 longer flight times desired

Reaction score
Good morning everyone.

I own a Phantom v1.1.1 with ZM Gimbal, Immersion 600mw vTX, upgrade board and my Mini iOSD will be installed this weekend. I also run P2 CF props with the standard DJI lipos.

I am looking for longer flight times and I know that there have been several people that have taken the guts of the P1 and moved them over to the P2 to utilize the bigger batter for longer flight times.

If you have done this, can you please share your experience? How hard was the transfer? How long of flight times are you getting? Also, would I be able to reused my gimbal, etc? How long of flight times would I get (Ballparkish).

Any links would be MUCH appreciated as well.....Thank you in advance.

The transfer is easy, adapting requires a little planning. Things like routing power cable for battery plug (it's on the opposite side vs P1) I just reveresed the board turned 180 degrees, your original LED is eliminated and you have to use add on version. Mine naked flew 19 mins without gimbal - add gimbal it's around 12-15 depending on conditions and my flying. (Mines also loaded - Gimbal, IOSD, GS, landing gear, etc...) But I have the best of both worlds where I can use either P2 battery, a P1 battery or squeeze 2 P1 batteries in.
In all honesty, if you want simple, longer flying times and still use your Gopro - buy the P2 w/Zen H3 3D. That's my next purchase.

Here's the thread you want, it's well worth reading:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7017

In addition to what EMC2 said, you'll also have to get a battery door (like a 3D printed version), and you'd be well served with basic soldering/wire extension/crimping skills and tools. It's definitely not rocket science and I think anyone can do it if they wanted to.

The Phantom 1's battery bay is actually nearly as large as the P2's. If you carve the battery opening and shave down the rails in the bottom shell, you can get a 55mm wide 5400mah battery in there, for same/longer flight times than a P2.

ElGuano said:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7017

In addition to what EMC2 said, you'll also have to get a battery door (like a 3D printed version), and you'd be well served with basic soldering/wire extension/crimping skills and tools. It's definitely not rocket science and I think anyone can do it if they wanted to.

The Phantom 1's battery bay is actually nearly as large as the P2's. If you carve the battery opening and shave down the rails in the bottom shell, you can get a 55mm wide 5400mah battery in there, for same/longer flight times than a P2.

ElG,

Are you saying that I can take a dremel and shave down the inside plastic guides on my P1 and fit a regular 5400mah 3s battery inside the housing? If so, can you remove the battery via the door as well?

tpawyant said:
ElGuano said:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7017

ElG,

Are you saying that I can take a dremel and shave down the inside plastic guides on my P1 and fit a regular 5400mah 3s battery inside the housing? If so, can you remove the battery via the door as well?

That's precisely what I've been doing since before the P2V was released last year. Technically, with anything related to the Phantom shell, I recommend a sharp hobby knife and some elbow grease, it's very soft plastic and a blade gives you clean straight cuts; a dremel is like a sledgehammer.

Honestly, it's quite a bit more work to do it this way, but does come in cheaper than buying a P2 shell and battery door and whatever parts are needed to extend your LED and servo leads.

4eHjxMq.jpg

You do need to widen the opening in the shell to allow the battery to slide in and out.

ElGuano said:
That's precisely what I've been doing since before the P2V was released last year. Technically, with anything related to the Phantom shell, I recommend a sharp hobby knife and some elbow grease, it's very soft plastic and a blade gives you clean straight cuts; a dremel is like a sledgehammer.

Honestly, it's quite a bit more work to do it this way, but does come in cheaper than buying a P2 shell and battery door and whatever parts are needed to extend your LED and servo leads.

4eHjxMq.jpg

You do need to widen the opening in the shell to allow the battery to slide in and out.

ElG,

Very interesting...I might consider doing this. Can you link me the 4400mah/5400mah batteries you are using? Also, why do you need to cut the new notch for the battery door latch?

tpawyant said:
ElGuano said:

4eHjxMq.jpg

ElG,

Very interesting...I might consider doing this. Can you link me the 4400mah/5400mah batteries you are using? Also, why do you need to cut the new notch for the battery door latch?
I solder my own batteries, but you can easily slide two in parallel into the space. There are a couple of 3s2p in the right format, HK sells a Walkera 5200 that fits well and is cheap, and thunder power sells an expensive 5400. The dimensions you want are 45-55mm x 35mm x 106mm or thereabouts.

You need a new notch because fitting dual batteries requires they be laid on their side (the 24mm side) so two can fit together. That means the 35mm side is now vertical and it's too tall for the existing latch. It's also why you need 1.5-2mm spacers for the mainboard.

You can gain about 25% more flight time by using Maddog 2700 Mah batteries. No modifications to the Phantom are required.

I noticed something that disturbs me a bit-you said you had the Carbon Fiber Vision props.?? did you get those on E-bay?
Have you ever flown CF props before?
My recommendation is you get the stock DJI Vision props w/nuts, and use those instead. Also-get the Maddog 2800 mah batteries. You can fly for around 9 minutes, with a heavy aircraft(2.7lbs)...that's Zen+GP3+iosd mini-PMU2, VTX+antenna.

IMHO, I would stay away from CF props. And, I would especially avoid CF props bought off e-bay. I think you're just asking for a crash. They're too stiff, and if/when you crash-they shatter really easy-and it's remotely possible it could permanent damage a motor.....but, I digress ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.