Phantom v1.1.1 H3-2D Upgrade Part List

Reaction score
Greetings-

I am attempting to compile and order everything I need to install the H3-2D onto my new Phantom v1.1.1

While I have a basic understanding, and have read reams of info, I am a little confused on the precise parts needed (gimbal aside) to order so I am not sitting there with a loose end or missing connection or cable when I perform the upgrade.

Information- reliable and worthy info is a premium on these things despite the pr and customer fans- and the forums are riddled with speculations which make any definitive education impossible- and the manufacturer and vendors are no help whatsoever- as usual these days I am at the mercy of the hobbyists in the trenches- which ain't so bad for me, but I pity the average consumer.

Do I need the PMU or is the new Naza mv2 all ready, and the v1.1.1 Phantom more or less plug and play with the zenmuse? Are there any cables? Connector(s) for power and or Naza hookup?

I have watched vids, but there is always a loose end of information, or the video assumes the viewer knows something I don't. I am hoping to simply have a list of parts and supplies- installation and assembly is not the point of this thread- that is covered out there. The issue is it seems as if every DJI Phantom that leaves the factory is different- even similar versions have subtle differences (for instance- mine does not have a visible aux power lead showing in the extra plug)

So help a fella out please?

You should just need the H3-2D and the Zenmuse upgrade board.
You don't need a PMU as that is integrated with the upgrade board kit.

There are 2 paths to add the dji gimbal to your Phantom. That is why it is somewhat confusing. I will lay out the basics of the 2 paths.

1. The first path involves using a replacement main board in the Phantom. The replacement (or "gimbal upgrade") board has the zenmuse controller and pmu built in. It involves a fair amount of unsoldering and soldering, but will give you the lightest weight installation. With this path, you do not use the independent gimbal control module or the independent PMU V2 module

2. Path 2 uses the stock board, and you use the gimbal control module that comes with the gimbal. You need to also purchase a PMU V2. This path can be done with very little soldeing.

Path 1 is more work, and lighter.
Path 2 is easier and heavier.

Path 1 leaves no extra canbus to hook up other dji components such as and iOSDmini for fpv.
Path 2 gives you an empty canbus port for something else.

I haven't checked in awhile, but I think the cost is similar between the 2 paths.

Mr. Pitman- much obliged as that was the exact answer I was seeking- you just made everclear outta muddy grain.

Interestingly enough, I got the goodluckbuy gimbal in the mail today- hooked it up and to be honest, it is silent, smooth, and comes with a gimbal wire that should connect directly to the naza which would allow me to just activate the gimbal and set the ranges in the assistant software- the power is connected via supplied plug to the balance on the battery- I already notched the battery door until I can do the full plug in battery door mod I have planned for 2 cells.

My only issue with the inexpensive gimbal ($100 shipped) is the weight- it is CNC machined and very well made, but it is heavy it seems. There is also some shudder at the end of the roll range on both directions, but honestly? I don't think anyone rolls their Phantom to that degree- and certainly not while filming- I suppose it kicks in at around 80 to 85 degrees.

I m going to look at 9 inch props and motor upgrades instead of the H3-2D at this point- I just can't see how any other gimbal could be any smoother.

*also- thanks rilot for your input-

Hiway said:
Mr. Pitman- much obliged as that was the exact answer I was seeking- you just made everclear outta muddy grain.

Interestingly enough, I got the goodluckbuy gimbal in the mail today- hooked it up and to be honest, it is silent, smooth, and comes with a gimbal wire that should connect directly to the naza which would allow me to just activate the gimbal and set the ranges in the assistant software- the power is connected via supplied plug to the balance on the battery- I already notched the battery door until I can do the full plug in battery door mod I have planned for 2 cells.

My only issue with the inexpensive gimbal ($100 shipped) is the weight- it is CNC machined and very well made, but it is heavy it seems. There is also some shudder at the end of the roll range on both directions, but honestly? I don't think anyone rolls their Phantom to that degree- and certainly not while filming- I suppose it kicks in at around 80 to 85 degrees.

I m going to look at 9 inch props and motor upgrades instead of the H3-2D at this point- I just can't see how any other gimbal could be any smoother.

*also- thanks rilot for your input-

Just curious if you were still happy with your Goodluckbuy gimbal?

Now i got a question for you sir, did you buy any upgrade board or pmu to your cheap gimbal?
Thanks in advance.

/Jonas

jonaslaurien said:
Now i got a question for you sir, did you buy any upgrade board or pmu to your cheap gimbal?
Thanks in advance.

/Jonas

The PMU V2 or Upgrade Board is required for adding a DJI H3 2D gimbal. Other aftermarket gimbals will need to have their own GCU (gimbal control unit) board.

Dave Pitman said:
jonaslaurien said:
Thanks in advance.

/Jonas

The PMU V2 or Upgrade Board is required for adding a DJI H3 2D gimbal. Other aftermarket gimbals will need to have their own GCU (gimbal control unit) board.

All right! Thanks a lot for the answer Dave! :) I'll go get those parts :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4