Phantom - Unable to regain control

Reaction score
I have a Phantom Vision 2 + that I've owned for about six month but I haven't flown it for several weeks. I've the flown the Phantom plenty of times without issue and I'm not new to flying. However, I updated the software today and took it out to fly and had an issue.

Before, if the Phantom went into failsafe I thought that I was able to just move the sticks, regain manually control and land it my myself.

I was flying with the first fully charged battery and landed it manually (without any issues) right as the app. on my iPhone gave the failsafe warning.

I replaced the battery with second fully charged battery, recalibrated the Phantom and took it back up.
It immediately went into failsafe and very quickly descended to the ground (Quicker then I remember it doing last time I flew it).
It would not let me regain attitude and I had to take evasive moves to avoid crashing into a pool umbrella. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to avoid one of the chairs and clipped it flipping the Phantom over and crashing it.

Thinking maybe it was a bad battery, I replace the battery with a third fully charged battery, replace the blades, recalibrated it and took it up again.
(Yes, I know I should have stopped while I has the chance -- silly me :oops: )

Everything seem normal and it flew fine. I was descending down to land because it was getting close to hitting failsafe. However, at about 8ft before I could land it triggered into failsafe and I missed pressing the cancel button on the app. It rose up to the safe altitude as normal but again started to very quickly descend.

That's when I discovered I could not regain control. It did not respond to anything I did on the controller to regain control and it decided at that point that home was located over the deep end of my swimming pool. :evil:

I failed to save it in time and now I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong.

:?: Does not the new firmware not allow you to regain control once it triggers into failsafe mode?
:?: Has anyone else run into this issue?

I don't remember the version of the firmware update.
The Phantom is currently disassembled and buried in rice so I can't turn it on at the moment and look at the version.

Thanks for any advice or input on this

scpalmetto said:
:?: Does not the new firmware not allow you to regain control once it triggers into failsafe mode?
With the latest firmware you can still flick S1 to take over in a RTH situation. This has not changed.

It sounds as if the battery failed in the middle of carrying out the fail safe, hence not allowing you to regain control and descending rapidly. I would suggest that both battery 2 and 3 may be suspect. How were they stored?

Casper2015 said:
It sounds as if the battery failed in the middle of carrying out the fail safe, hence not allowing you to regain control and descending rapidly. I would suggest that both battery 2 and 3 may be suspect. How were they stored?

The batteries and phantom are kept on a table beside my PC tower. I normally recharge them after flying and keep them on the table fully charge until I'm ready to fly again.

Should keep them around 50% then charge 12-24 hours before flying .
Or should not leave them sitting anymore than 12-24 hours full charge

I normally recharge them after flying and keep them on the table fully charge until I'm ready to fly again

ohhhhhh thats not good to do at all and will kill a battery's capacity real fast.

You want to store them at or very close to 50%

If you are using up to date firmware, you can check battery health in the Assistant software.
That will tell you if your batteries are sick

This is what DJI suggests in the Phantom 2 User Manual:

Correct Battery Usage Notes
1. Never plug or unplug the battery into the aircraft when it is powered on.
2. The battery should be charged in an environment that is between 0°C to 40°C, and be discharged in an
environment that is between -20°C to 50°C. Both charging and discharging should be in an environment
where the relative humidity is lower than 80%.
3. It’s recommended to charge and discharge the battery thoroughly once every 20 charge/discharge cycles.
Users should discharge the battery until there is less than 8% power left or until the battery can no longer
be turned on. Users should then fully recharge the battery to maximum capacity. This power cycling
procedure will ensure the battery is working at its optimal level.
4. For long term storage please place the battery with only a 40~50% capacity in a strong battery box
securely. We recommend discharging and charging the battery completely once every 3 months to keep it
in good condition. The capacity should be varied in such a cycle (40%~50%)—0%—100%—(40%~50%).
5. It’s suggested you purchase a new battery after you have discharged your current battery over 300 times.
Please completely discharge a battery prior to disposal.
6. It’s suggested that you purchase a new battery if the current battery is swollen or damaged in any way.
7. Never try to recharge or fly with a battery that is swollen or damaged in any way.
8. Never charge the battery unattended. Always charge the battery on a non-flammable surface such as
concrete and never near any flammable materials.
9. Safety is extremely important and users can get more information in the DISCLAIMER.

like James said...storing your batteries fully charged will make them worthless very fast...Im sorry to hear you crashed...but read up on the use and storage of your batteries..You will be glad you did.

like James said...storing your batteries fully charged will make them worthless very fast...Im sorry to hear you crashed...but read up on the use and storage of your batteries..You will be glad you did.

The newer batt. f/w contains a self-discharge to 50% feature after 10 days of non-use.

The newer batt. f/w contains a self-discharge to 50% feature after 10 days of non-use.

That is a good feature as I charge a few days before, or longer for planned flights. But sometimes real life intervenes and you can't fly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl