Phantom Tutorial Series

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've heard many times that there is a lot of information left out of the Phantom video series and user manual. So in the spirit of helping out new people - I am going to try and make a video series that is rather comprehensive covering basic and advance topics of the Phantom 3. I'd love to have some input on what you think would be good for beginners to see and learn (things that were important for you when learning or things maybe you still don't understand).

My thoughts are to create the content, upload to youtube, create a post with a list of all of the links in the series and then ideally have it put as a sticky for the Phantom 3 forum.

Here are some topics I think would be important to cover:
  • Basics of the Phantom - putting on the propellers, turning the phantom and controller on and off, Antenna configuration, charging the phantom batteries, explanation of the phantom parts, Checking the battery's health, Pre-flight checklist
  • Basics of the Pilot App - Telemetry, Map View, Take off button, RTH button (both app and controller), Beginner Mode (max altitude/distance), Satellite count, Controller & Lightbridge signal strength, App compass calibration, mention IMU in Advanced features of the Pilot App, Setting homepoints post take off, caching maps, Flight sim
  • Your first flight - Background RF interference (from surrounding devices), Take off (assisted and unassisted), Stick controls + aircraft movement, VPS, Warning about CSC, US flying restrictions/recommendations (I'm in the US - if someone else would like to talk about flight restrictions and recommendations in other countries/areas that's great), basic navigation (via map), landing (plus talk about rapid descent)
  • Basics of the Pilot App Photo/Video Features - Photo/video settings panel, ISO, Shutter, HDR, Bracketed exposure, Timer mode, AE lock, EV, Histogram, Grid, Format SD Card, Focus, front arm's LEDs on/off
  • Advanced App Settings - Gain, Expo, Enabling different flight modes, Failsafe settings, flight data mode, IOC, IMU calibration and basic values, customizable controller buttons, RC Calibrations, Image transmission channels, Gimbal calibration, Gimbal roll, Adv. gimbal settings, explanation of hardware decode, Video Cache, User center
  • Advanced Flight Controls - Atti mode, IOC mode, Changing the stick height
  • Accessories for the Phantom - Backpacks, Props, Prop Guards, Lens Cap, Filters, Antenna Boosters, Gimbal clips, Anti-drop pins, SD cards
If you think this is a good idea or have any feedback - I'd love to hear it. I would probably start production on this, this week or so.

Would be very nice also if someone on here that was very good with photography could explain ISO, Shutter, and other camera settings and examples of when each should be used and how it should be used. These things are if nothing else flying cameras, and that would help us new to photography(well beyond that of our smart phones) get the most out of these

Here's a good camera tutorial:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Arson161
Interesting that you propose this (informational videos) as the team has been recently discussing this very idea. ;) Stay tuned!
In the mean time I will watch your thread here and when you complete it we can sticky it for all to see.

How to start your phantom and fly it should indeed be half way or further through any such series... Somewhere after RTH, CSC and similar

Would be very nice also if someone on here that was very good with photography could explain ISO, Shutter, and other camera settings and examples of when each should be used and how it should be used. These things are if nothing else flying cameras, and that would help us new to photography(well beyond that of our smart phones) get the most out of these
Take a look here too. There are some sticky's at the top and a help area. - http://www.phantompilots.com/forums/photos-and-video.6/

Reactions: Arson161
Hi Everyone,

I've heard many times that there is a lot of information left out of the Phantom video series and user manual. So in the spirit of helping out new people - I am going to try and make a video series that is rather comprehensive covering basic and advance topics of the Phantom 3. I'd love to have some input on what you think would be good for beginners to see and learn (things that were important for you when learning or things maybe you still don't understand).

My thoughts are to create the content, upload to youtube, create a post with a list of all of the links in the series and then ideally have it put as a sticky for the Phantom 3 forum.

Here are some topics I think would be important to cover:
  • Your first flight - Background RF interference (from surrounding devices), Take off (assisted and unassisted), Stick controls + aircraft movement, VPS, Warning about CSC, US flying restrictions/recommendations (I'm in the US - if someone else would like to talk about flight restrictions and recommendations in other countries/areas that's great), basic navigation (via map), landing (plus talk about rapid descent)
If you think this is a good idea or have any feedback - I'd love to hear it. I would probably start production on this, this week or so.
Sounds like a great idea! I think something that might be worthwhile covering under the "your first flight" section might be some flight drills starting from basic to advanced that might help sharpen your piloting skills. I know that the mantra here is practice, practice, practice...because if it CAN happen, it WILL happen at some point. Best to be prepared. Use your FIRST battery to practice pilot skills, THEN use the rest of them to try and break the speed of sound or put your P3 into low earth orbit.
Sorry, let me get off this stupid soapbox. Looks silly anyway. A good, detailed set of practice drills from users who've been there/done that would be very useful to new P3 pilots.

All great ideas, here is some info I put together from various sources that might help.
http://www.p3groundschool.com
Thanks Recce2!! Just did a quick scan of your site, and there's some great stuff there! Don't have time now to go through it all so I've just bookmarked it for now. Your pages on flight training were exactly the sort of info I was referring to. Much appreciated.

I would like to join the party as a photographer.
My contribution will be a written input and fairly basic. After all there are thousands of splendid basic and advanced tutorials on photography and camera settings.

If you like to make nice images that are properly exposed with different lighting conditions......practice practice and practice.
You don't have to do that with your phantom alone. With a simple compact camera with at least manual Iso and Shuttertime settings you can learn quite a lot and predict what your photo's of the Phantom in similar conditions wil look like.

A few preliminary advices.
Shoot in DNG!!! Its a much more flexible photo format when it comes to image-editing.
Buy a decent imaging program which can handle the DNG-format. I strongly recommend the latest version Adobe Lightroom.
Its an affordable and intuitive photo-editing program with the extra's that you can make decent Pano's and HDR's.
You can view but no edit your videotracks.
Adobe.tv has a lot of excellent video tutorials over Lightroom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic