Phantom tipped back on landing...then tried to fly away

Reaction score
I have a phantom 2 vision +. About a total of 20 flights. Yesterday I sucessfully had several good flights and on the last flight the phantom landed and tipped over backwards on the landing which was very gentle. It remained in that position until I disarmed the motors to stand it upright again. This took about 30 seconds. Was flying in GPS mode as a Phantom. Did not power the battery down and reboot. Rearmed the motors and advanced the throttle to lift off to about 4 feet. At that point the quad pitched back to about a 30 degrees and took off on its own at full throttle, arched over the roof of the house and at that point all I could do was pull back the whole way on the throttle since it was disappearing from view over the top of the house. The Phantom ended up stuck into the mud in the backyard with two broken propellers and the camera ripped right out of the gimbal. Took the quad inside and removed the gimbal, cleaned it up, reinstalled new propellers and flew it inside the house. Quad responds perfectly to the controls. Now I am stuck with a damaged gimbal and unknown damage to the camera. Can anyone shed some light on what might have happened? The quad flew perfectly before this incident!

stanpisarski said:
It remained in that position until I disarmed the motors to stand it upright again. This took about 30 seconds. Was flying in GPS mode as a Phantom. Did not power the battery down and reboot. Rearmed the motors and advanced the throttle to lift off to about 4 feet. At that point the quad pitched back to about a 30 degrees and took off on its own at full throttle,
It sounds like your Phantom was trying to return to home.
The problem is that you did not turn it off and restart.
Always switch off when you bring it in.

Meta4 said:

What do you base this advice on? Why should one turn pv2 off then back on after every flight, landing, before flying again, when home point can be seen to be correct?

Multiple similar cases where a Phantom left idling has entered RTH behaviour have been reported here.
It is good practice to switch off after landing.

yorlik said:
Meta4 said:

What do you base this advice on? Why should one turn pv2 off then back on after every flight, landing, before flying again, when home point can be seen to be correct?

He's correct yorlik. I'll try to find a recent thread for you.

stanpisarski said:
I have a phantom 2 vision +. About a total of 20 flights. Yesterday I sucessfully had several good flights and on the last flight the phantom landed and tipped over backwards on the landing which was very gentle. It remained in that position until I disarmed the motors to stand it upright again. This took about 30 seconds. Was flying in GPS mode as a Phantom. Did not power the battery down and reboot. Rearmed the motors and advanced the throttle to lift off to about 4 feet. At that point the quad pitched back to about a 30 degrees and took off on its own at full throttle, arched over the roof of the house and at that point all I could do was pull back the whole way on the throttle since it was disappearing from view over the top of the house. The Phantom ended up stuck into the mud in the backyard with two broken propellers and the camera ripped right out of the gimbal. Took the quad inside and removed the gimbal, cleaned it up, reinstalled new propellers and flew it inside the house. Quad responds perfectly to the controls. Now I am stuck with a damaged gimbal and unknown damage to the camera. Can anyone shed some light on what might have happened? The quad flew perfectly before this incident!
:shock: After all that you didn't check it in assistant just put on new props and flew it in your house ! I don't even get no Sats in my house to fly in GPS . Not gonna fly in the house anyway but still :shock:
Meta was right telling you to power off when you land .

For Every Battery Replacement I Do A Complete Shutdown, Phantom, Radio & WiFi Repeater, I Also Exit The App. I Think Its Better To Be Safe Than Sorry And Follow The Correct Start Up Procedure And Ensure That Your Home Lock Is Actually Where You Think It Is. Naza-M Mode Helps With This.

I thought the new firmware allows you to spool up immediately after an auto landing. If that's the case it shouldn't matter to shut down.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik