Phantom Side Antenna Repositioning

Reaction score
Hi folks,

After having Stage 2 antenna sets from FPVLR (Thanks to Tony btw), I also decided to relocate the antennas of Phantom to free them from inside of the landing gears so searched for 3D print parts for antennas. All I found was a holder which was mounting to the landing gear screws, and I was not happy with the design so decided to do my own.

I have designed this to be useful for every different antenna lengths and positionings. Sorry for black cable tie :( I only have black 3mm width cable ties in stock right now, but gonna buy white ones first things first tomorrow.

Did not have a chance to test the difference in the range yet, but I believe that it will effect the coverage of the antennas.

TIGXImx.jpg

u9kaWR7.jpg

tFZ6qrJ.jpg

HdTNlin.jpg

B8drnnr.jpg

zst5n15.jpg

Shared my design at Thingiverse; http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:462473

If you have suggestions, pls share.

Regards.

Just curious why you would think this clip will provide any better range or coverage?

If you're thinking the plastic leg of the phantom is blocking any signal ... i don't think it is...

And now the thin whip of the antenna is out and exposed to the wind at speed which will cause vibration in the whip... not ideal

Just asking questions sir... i try and do the opposite with my antenna and keep it tucked completely inside the leg... i even added a touch of hot glue to the top of my dipole to make sure it doesn't get any wind whip from the 35mph travel speeds ... keeping a 5.8Ghz antenna as solid as possible helps a lot... i would be worried about that thin portion hanging out in the air like that.

DBS said:
Just curious why you would think this clip will provide any better range or coverage?

If you're thinking the plastic leg of the phantom is blocking any signal ... i don't think it is...

And now the thin whip of the antenna is out and exposed to the wind at speed which will cause vibration in the whip... not ideal

Just asking questions sir... i try and do the opposite with my antenna and keep it tucked completely inside the leg... i even added a touch of hot glue to the top of my dipole to make sure it doesn't get any wind whip from the 35mph travel speeds ... keeping a 5.8Ghz antenna as solid as possible helps a lot... i would be worried about that thin portion hanging out in the air like that.

I agree that this setup is putting the fragile antenna wire in a precarious location. I feel that the benefits of having the antenna and cable protected in the leg outweigh any benefits this alternative location would have.

Keep your ideas coming.

It's also moving the antenna closer to the camera, which can't help at all.
The plastic landing gear is completely transparent to the radio signal. You might see a slight improvement if you were to move them out, further away from the body, but moving them in toward the body couldn't possibly help.

Anyone seen any good mounting brackets for relocating the WiFi antennas? The side facing patch antennas provide optimal coverage to the side but it would be more practical I think to mount them facing fore and aft.

The reason I made this part was to try if the plastic material used for the legs is effecting signals or not.

I was suspecting because when flying distance if you change the orientation of the model by rudder command and when the leg side faces you, signal decreases or lost.

Also, after your claims about the plastic leg I decided to test if the material is transparent or absorber for 2.4GHz

I am not sure you are aware of, but there was a method to test the antenna pipes and other plastic materials used around the antennas by putting them in microwave oven to test out if they absorb 2.4GHz or not.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1680051

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1680050

This method was used by ham radio hobbyers too, so got curious and tested the plastic legs.

Guess what was the result; the plastic used in the legs are not 2.4ghz transparent because they got hot absorbing the 2.4ghz from microwave.

Didn't have chance to do range test flights yet, but after tests the results will be shared here.

dellycem said:
Also, after your claims about the plastic leg I decided to test if the material is transparent or absorber for 2.4GHz

The antennae inside the plastic legs are not on 2.4Ghz, they are the control antenna and operate on 5.8Ghz, so you might want to test on that frequency instead, eh?

itchybeard said:
dellycem said:

The antennae inside the plastic legs are not on 2.4Ghz, they are the control antenna and operate on 5.8Ghz, so you might want to test on that frequency instead, eh?

You are right about that, the radio control system of Vision series are using 5.8GHz to not to have interferance with the Wifi based data system.

But, I do not have equipment to test this plastic is absorbing 5.8GHz or not. At this point I am sure that it is not much transparent at 2.4GHz. I will be glad if anyone here can test this at 5.8GHz with proper devices to find out.

I will see about 5.8GHz after test flights.

cahutch said:
It's also moving the antenna closer to the camera, which can't help at all.
The plastic landing gear is completely transparent to the radio signal. You might see a slight improvement if you were to move them out, further away from the body, but moving them in toward the body couldn't possibly help.

Anyone seen any good mounting brackets for relocating the WiFi antennas? The side facing patch antennas provide optimal coverage to the side but it would be more practical I think to mount them facing fore and aft.

I stole this idea from DBS...made a rear mount by hacking up a plastic box and attaching with double sided tape, front just double sided tape right to the bird.....

Attachments

• IMG-20140914-00131.jpg
    IMG-20140914-00131.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG-20140914-00132.jpg
    IMG-20140914-00132.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 739

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members