Phantom Return Home Feature

Reaction score
I am a newbie here and have a few questions. My main one is the return home feature. I have several Phantoms and I am talking about the Phantom Vision 2 at the moment. In the manual ti states that in RTH mode the Phantom goes to 60' to return home. It also states that it will seek the highest height. I have tried the 60' RTH and that works fine. today I brought it to 190' and then down to 70 feet and cut the link. The Phantom returned at around 50' yesterday I brought it to 1,000' (I know, bad boy) to see what would happen. It returned home at the 1,000' out of sight and then came down slowly. I could hear it but not see it at the max height but it did work. My problem is that I live in the country and the tree line is around 80' so the 60 isn't going to work out very well. In the settings I found the distance and height max and have those set. I cannot find a setting for the RTH feature that I would like to set at around 110' to clear the tree line.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Are you aware you can reset home point in flight by toggling the left switch 3x quickly? Try it near you, and watch for rapid green flashing tail lights. You could then ascend to a safe above-trees altitude directly overhead, reset home point, and try that. No guarantees, but might be worth a try. Please post back results if you do.

Lots of posts on this general topic. Use the google search for this site:
https://www.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx ... w374af2o9i

Kelly

That doesnt solve his problem or answer his question though (sorry i dont have an answer for you either) If it is BLOS and it looses communication with the Tx he wants it to go ABOVE the tress automatically not try to go through them. Sorry i dont have an answer for you but i would like to know also because i will have the same issue.

Rodger, you may have misunderstood (or just as likely, the manual might incorrectly state) the function; the Phantom is NOT designed to ascend to your greatest max height during the flight before returning home. What it will do is:

1. IF you are below 20m from your home point, it will ascend to 20m above your home point and then return home; or
2. IF you are above 20m from your home point (say, 1000ft), if will STAY at that height on return (what you witnessed).

WKF's suggestion is the right one to do what you want, and the only way to do it with the NAZA. WKM/A2 lets you set the height on RTH, but NAZA is hard-set to 20m/60ft. With the NAZA (don't recall if you have to be in NAZA mode on the P2V), what you can do is lift off, then ascend to the height that you need to be to clear the tree line (say, 110ft), then reset the homepoint by flipping between CL/HL 3-5 times rapidly. With the new home point set, it also stores the new altitude. So now upon RTH, if you are under 110ft, it will rise to 170ft above takeoff point, come home, then slowly descend all the way to the ground (yes, gracefully down past the new 110ft home point). Though at that point you probably might as well just take control and land yourself.

So Chuddly owes me a beer, right?? :D

wkf94025 said:

I would say "of course," but if I owed a beer every time I was wrong, I wouldn't be able to afford this hobby (nor would I have anyone around sober enough to fly with) ;)

ElGuano said:
wkf94025 said:

I would say "of course," but if I owed a beer every time I was wrong, I wouldn't be able to afford this hobby (nor would I have anyone around sober enough to fly with) ;)

Actually Chuddly owes me two beers for the two accusations, and Rodger owes us one beer each for each time he would have crashed into a tree without our collective brilliance and generosity of spirit.

The only time I flew my Phantom after having a beer I forgot to start the camera, and missed the best scene of an expensive three day modeling shoot, complete with hired talent from LA, chartered boats, hair & makeup, etc., etc. So I learned the hard way not to drink and fly.

Kelly

AnselA said:
ElGuano said:
With the new home point set, it also stores the new altitude.

Which Phantom firmware you have?

I tried with Phantom firmware 2.0, did not store new altitude :(

I don't have a Vision, but talked to a friend with one about this specifically earlier this month. IIRC he was running 3.02 at the time, and confirmed:

1) you will get the rapid green flashes if you flip the S2 switch correctly, but you have to be more precise with timing than for the compass calibration switch.

2) The new altitude gets recorded with the new home point. For other Phantoms, you should see the altitude reset to 0 on iOSD (I need to re-confirm this on my P1 and F450).

3) With the new home point set, the model will rise to 60ft above the new home point's altitude on RTH.

I know the timing of the switch flipping is pretty strict, and it MAY require you be in NAZA mode, but you should get the 20 rapid green flashes to confirm when that happens. If it doesn't work on yours, let us know, it'd be very interesting to note if the function has somehow changed between firmware updates.

ElGuano said:
AnselA said:
ElGuano said:
With the new home point set, it also stores the new altitude.

Which Phantom firmware you have?

I tried with Phantom firmware 2.0, did not store new altitude :(

I don't have a Vision, but talked to a friend with one about this specifically earlier this month. IIRC he was running 3.02 at the time, and confirmed:

1) you will get the rapid green flashes if you flip the S2 switch correctly, but you have to be more precise with timing than for the compass calibration switch.

2) The new altitude gets recorded with the new home point. For other Phantoms, you should see the altitude reset to 0 on iOSD (I need to re-confirm this on my P1 and F450).

3) With the new home point set, the model will rise to 60ft above the new home point's altitude on RTH.

I know the timing of the switch flipping is pretty strict, and it MAY require you be in NAZA mode, but you should get the 20 rapid green flashes to confirm when that happens. If it doesn't work on yours, let us know, it'd be very interesting to note if the function has somehow changed between firmware updates.

When I tested resetting home location on my P2V, it changed to a new "location" (LAT & LON), but when I reset home location in the air, the RTH altitude did not increase by the amount of reset altitude. I reset at 10 m and the RTH happened at 20 m, should have been 30 m? I think somebody else has mentioned on this forum that there was a change in firmware V2.0, not recording reset altitude anymore. I will test again next time on the field.

AnselA said:
When I tested resetting home location on my P2V, it changed to a new "location" (LAT & LON), but when I reset home location in the air, the RTH altitude did not increase by the amount of reset altitude. I reset at 10 m and the RTH happened at 20 m, should have been 30 m? I think somebody else has mentioned on this forum that there was a change in firmware V2.0, not recording reset altitude anymore. I will test again next time on the field.

I THINK if you're using iOSD or the Vision app, the current height should reset when you successfully reset homepoint, so it'll say 0m when you're 10m up, and on RTH it will still REPORT it's at 20m, even though it's actually at 30m AGL.

It might also be difficult to tell the difference between 20m and 30m, I'd suggest testing a bit higher, like reseting at 50m. Then, if you descend to 20m and hit FS, it should ascend 50m before heading home.

Thanks guys, and a beer for all of you any time. I'll try the left switch 3 times at the desired height and let you know if that works.
It would really be nice if you could set the return to home height in the range and height page. Life would really be simple. The DJI program is so advanced, I have a hard time with something as simple as this!
r

RodgerB said:
I'll try the left switch 3 times at the desired height and let you know if that works.

Make it 5 times, because DJI tells:

"Switching the S2 from upper most position to its bottom most position for at least 5 times will reset the home point of Phantom 2 Vision. Definition of “home point” is i) where the Phantom 2 Vision return to when control signal is lost ii) the home position which is used to calculate the horizontal distance between you and the aircraft which is displayed on your cell phone app. When the home point is set, you will see a very short period of fast green light flashing on the LED Flight Indicator."

wkf94025 said:
sorry chief ....thats a NO :D . My intent was only to interpret his question and help the OP explain it a bit better. I by no means offered a answer nor was i any help whatsoever LOL

Interesting, I'll try it this weekend in a large open area. Seems iffy though on the timing. what I gather is that if the timing is off I will be also. I would think that with the sophistication of the Phantom that there would be a way to set the RTH height. 60' isn't very much height in all honesty. You can have ornamental trees higher than the in surrounding properties in a neighborhood and crash into someones property and possibly damage something or even worse a person or child.

I am using the latest version I think it is 3.04 may be 3.02 but the 3.04 stands out for some reason.

The sophistication you speak of is by design.

So of course it is possible.

It's just not available to us.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers