Phantom reset its home point out over water by itself

Reaction score
While flying last night off a pier, I was getting ready to get some sunset pics and then the super moon, and I flew about 2000 foot or so away down the beach and then out of nowhere the home point reset over the water and even gave me the audible indication. How did this happen? If I knew how to post a flight log video I could show you guys. Anyways I'm just trying to figure this out so I can take preventive measures.

should put the flight data through healthy drones, may give some indication of why that happened.

I guess the first thing I would look for in the data is whether the home point had actually been set at take off.

Are you 100% certain that before flying you heard an audible indicator that your location was the Home point? Not 99%, but 100%?

Are you 100% certain that before flying you heard an audible indicator that your location was the Home point? Not 99%, but 100%?
I always make sure home point is set before flying, I'm ocd in a sense. I heard the audible set and had a visual marker set on the pier of home point when the motors started up, then flew out 2000 ft or so and then out of nowhere it reset the homepoint about 200 ft up in the air. This is absolutely not pilot error. But something was for certain I have never encountered, the radio signal kept showing itself weak and gave the warning about not flying long distance after flying out and then coming back. So I moved off the pier, where hundreds off people taking pics with their cells of the super moon, down on to the beach and put a new pack in and it still showed weak radio signal, and I even chose a custom channel with no noise and still showed itself weak. When I was on the pier and flying out I visually saw the green home point disappear and then reappear in its new place. No newbie here, been flying for a long time, and Im sure to follow regular protocol.

Other P3s in the immediate area???

I always make sure home point is set before flying, I'm ocd in a sense. I heard the audible set and had a visual marker set on the pier of home point when the motors started up, then flew out 2000 ft or so and then out of nowhere it reset the homepoint about 200 ft up in the air. This is absolutely not pilot error. But something was for certain I have never encountered, the radio signal kept showing itself weak and gave the warning about not flying long distance after flying out and then coming back. So I moved off the pier, where hundreds off people taking pics with their cells of the super moon, down on to the beach and put a new pack in and it still showed weak radio signal, and I even chose a custom channel with no noise and still showed itself weak. When I was on the pier and flying out I visually saw the green home point disappear and then reappear in its new place. No newbie here, been flying for a long time, and Im sure to follow regular protocol.
Didn't mean to insinuate anything, I was just looking to eliminate one possibility. Sounds like it must be related to having lost the HP with the original battery, and then it set a new one once it acquired solid references with the new battery.

IMG_0277[1].JPG
IMG_0278[1].JPG

One flight with two home points being set. Im using a ipad mini. I wish you could manually set the home point like we used to on the P2V+. My only guess is the hundreds of cell phones around that people had out taking pics, using data, and yapping.

What device are you using? Android or iOS

I was just reading another thread where android devices are resetting the home point when they have weak signals, and then the signal connects back strong again, new HP. You mentioned weak signals

My only guess is the hundreds of cell phones around that people had out taking pics, using data, and yapping.
Weird but it won't have anything to do with cell phones.
Post #14 above sounds like a good place to start.
I wish you could manually set the home point like we used to on the P2V+.
That was included in firmware since mid-June
i-GpMJWTf-L.png

Weird but it won't have anything to do with cell phones.
Post #14 above sounds like a good place to start.

That was included in firmware since mid-June
i-GpMJWTf-L.png
Meta - do you know whether the home point "address" includes altitude information, or just lat/lon? Ie., if a new home point was set at 100'agl, would a subsequent rth command end with the uav hovering at 100', or would it go to that lat/lon and continue descending until landed?

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Meta - do you know whether the home point "address" includes altitude information, or just lat/lon? Ie., if a new home point was set at 100'agl, would a subsequent rth command end with the uav hovering at 100', or would it go to that lat/lon and continue descending until landed?
It will climb to 20 metres above the new home altitude and return to a point above the new home position and descend until it can't descend any more.
Of course you can take over any time because you can probably choose a landing spot better than your (blind) Phantom can.

Reactions: SENC
To add to what @Meta4 said above, in the days of the P2V and the lack of GLONASS, it wasn't uncommon to take off with a low satellite count, climb until a good count was acquired, then set the home point. Alleviated a lot of the fly away problems due to losing GPS during the RTH sequence (which also happened frequently due to shitty range).

Reactions: SENC

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic