Phantom release schedule?

Reaction score
The Mavic hype and excitement is high right now and of course I'd love to have one too. But, with technology advancing so fast I'm sure the next Phantom will have even more capabilities.

As the Phantom 4 is my first drone and I have no experience in how often they update the Phantom series, when do you think the Phantom 5, or whatever they call it, will be released?

Do they update the Phantom series once a year, sooner, longer?

Reactions: direkMel
If there is a plan to introduce new Phantom next year, it should be available by ~~~ Apr 2017. Guess work!

Why would there need to be a new Phantom. The Mavic could be the new base and improvements could be delivered on that platform. They are very similar in performance, but the Mavic form factor is a big leap forward. If the video quality could be got up to the same level, the only thing I can think of which might be better on the Phantom is high wind performance.

Why would there need to be a new Phantom.
I guess for those people who don't want a Mavic (or any of the other drones DJI makes)? The Mavic is a new drone in the DJI lineup. It's not a Phantom replacement. It might be a Phantom replacement for you though ;)

I like the mavic's portability, I love my P4 and going to keep it, the next dji release I am waiting for is the inspire. Many want to go smaller, I want to go a bit bigger with hopefully 2 cameras on board. For me flying a camera is better if the experience is shared. I got headplays so my wife can live the flight with me, if she could control the camera as I fly the bird that would be tops.

Reactions: JWH
I'm looking at bigger for my business, contemplating the Matrice 100. But just curious about DJI release schedules as I'm sure 360 degree OA is coming, along with other goodies, that could add benefits to my business and maybe leave the Phantom 4 for my personal use.

I guess for those people who don't want a Mavic (or any of the other drones DJI makes)? The Mavic is a new drone in the DJI lineup. It's not a Phantom replacement. It might be a Phantom replacement for you though ;)
Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to get rid of my P4, but for somebody about to replace an old Phantom, or just move into the hobby at this level, I can't see why they would buy a Phantom over a Mavic. There s a small question over video quality, but in every other respect, the Mavic seems better.

If you don't agree, what is it about the Phantom architecture that would make you want to buy that rather than the same features in a smaller package? And why would DJI invest in the Phantom architecture instead of improving the Mavic with a better camera or other features? They could almost have just called the Mavic the P5 and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I think the small form factor wont always be best for some. Especially for people in the usa with the faa line of sight crap...i like both of the form factors... i just have doubts how many times you can open and close those retractable arms on the mavic before you begin to get play? And how many times can the wires be bent as well....lots of stuff that only time will tell! And how will it do in a crash? Can you fix it yourself like we can with the phantoms? Can we get parts and get access to the area needing repair? All things that wont be known for quite sometime. I just bought the p4 yesterday and cancelled my mavic preorder because of these unknowns.. i will pick on up on the next round! Just my 2 cents!

Sent from my SM-N920C using PhantomPilots mobile app

DJI (like any other business) is following the trend and competition.
If the "trend" is for smaller, portable, follow me, etc, the heads at DJI will adapt to get the most of the market.

I think the Mavic is more of a accessory for a Phantom owner. I prefer the larger drones but wouldn't mind a Mavic for convienence and travel. It's another fun toy for folks with plenty of disposable income.

Sent from my SM-N930V using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you don't agree, what is it about the Phantom architecture that would make you want to buy that rather than the same features in a smaller package?

• Larger form factor (more stable)
  • Proven design and engineering
  • video quality appears better (so far)
  • No questions about the durability
  • HDMI goggle capability
  • No Litchi
Mavic looks nice. If it proves itself maybe I'll get one, but I think I'll be more likely that the Phantom 5 features will leapfrog the Mavic and that may well be my next drone instead.

If you don't agree, what is it about the Phantom architecture that would make you want to buy that rather than the same features in a smaller package?
As MacCool noted above, there are things that cannot be done with the Mavic. In addition to what he noted, you cannot easily use a tablet, attaching accessories (e.g. a Getterback or GPS tracker) might be a challenge, the camera FOV is smaller, it's lower to the ground making it potentially harder to land in some environments, etc. There are pros and cons. If all you can see are pros, then the Mavic is most likely the best choice for you.

And why would DJI invest in the Phantom architecture instead of improving the Mavic with a better camera or other features?
DJI is a large company. They no doubt have enough engineers to work on advancing both models simultaneously. They know the Mavic is not a good fit for everyone, so they will continue building models that appeal to those who do not want a Mavic. It just makes great business sense.

Don't get me wrong, I own a P4 and I'm happy with it, however it seems to me that the features are so close, with the small footprint of the collapsed Mavic giving it a huge advantage.
It seems to me that an improved Mavic 2 could become the P5, and merge the lines into a fantastic hobby drone, killing the H and the Karma off, and concentrating DJIs resources in that area.
The Inspire could be the professional line.

What maybe in the future for DJI is price ranges for their products as you see the market mature.

Seems like a natural progression and good for the drone consumer.

• Low range Portable Mavic Line
  • Mid range Hobby Phantom Line
  • High range Professional Inspire/Wings Line
  • Racing line of drones - Snail motors
  • Cargo drones

-G

Last edited:
Reactions: Docjkm

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics