Phantom recovered from the sea

Reaction score
Hi, I am a metal detectorist and have just found a DJI Phantom advanced on my local beach. I was inverted on the sand and doesnt look like its been in the water long. Ive tried to recover the files from the micro sd card but it isn't visible to either my Windows machine or my MacBook pro. I was hoping the owner would have left an image file with their contact details on the card. Do I need specific software to download the files?

Attachments

• 20160213_143917_resized.jpg
    20160213_143917_resized.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,687
Throw it back as once the salt gets to it, it's like acid and eats and eats....

I would hang it from my ceiling using fishing string. That's what I done with crashed ones I bought for parts after getting what I needed.

You should be able to put the uSD card in a PC and read access the files. Try cleaning the contacts on the card. Check with DJI to see if you can get contact info for the owner with the serial number. Also you can try Craigslist but make certain they can identify it with the serial number and proof of purchase.

Ive tried to recover the files from the micro sd card but it isn't visible to either my Windows machine or my MacBook pro. I was hoping the owner would have left an image file with their contact details on the card. Do I need specific software to download the files?
No, you don't need special software to read most of what would normally be on the sd card. Things like photos, videos or text files should be visible if they are on the card and not damaged.
There is another internal sd card that contains flight data, but they are more complicated to access, especially with a Phantom that has been submerged.

I don't see any from your photo, but are there any markings / labels on the Phantom. FAA or AMA numbers for instance if you are in the US. I suspect you are in the UK however.

Last edited:
I meant to say in my previous reply that no, you don't need special software to access the files. But that is assuming the card can be read and is not damaged. Like Frank stated it could be damaged due to the saltwater. I still think its a good idea to try to locate the owner as it could have had a problem that would be covered under the warranty.

Reactions: Monte Olsen
I meant to say in my previous reply that no, you don't need special software to access the files. But that is assuming the card can be read and is not damaged. Like Frank stated it could be damaged due to the saltwater. I still think its a good idea to try to locate the owner as it could have had a problem that would be covered under the warranty.

I didn't look at the pic until now. When he said Phantom I was thinking phantom1. But since it is newer and a P3A the numbers should be visible it would be better to see if someone claims it.

Reactions: penguinmaster
Hi, I am a metal detectorist and have just found a DJI Phantom advanced on my local beach. I was inverted on the sand and doesnt look like its been in the water long. Ive tried to recover the files from the micro sd card but it isn't visible to either my Windows machine or my MacBook pro. I was hoping the owner would have left an image file with their contact details on the card. Do I need specific software to download the files?
What a great picture! Very kind of you to be making an effort to find the owner, I hope it works out.

Those SD cards are normally pretty tough; they are often advertised as waterproof, shockproof, and have a wide temperature tolerance... all within reason of course, depending on how long its been in the sea. Hopefully its not been too long. Its a bit disconcerting if it won't show up in either of your PCs; maybe after a thorough drying there might be a chance.

Good luck and thanks for putting the effort in; refreshing that there are people who want to do the right thing.

Remove the battery. Throw it in a bath of tap water for a couple of hours. Then in a bath of distilled water for a couple of hours.

Then dry it. You can occasionally salvage these things from salt water although the chances aren't good.

Ive tried to recover the files from the micro sd card but it isn't visible to either my Windows machine or my MacBook pro. I was hoping the owner would have left an image file with their contact details on the card. Do I need specific software to download the files?
SD cards will survive weeks or longer in salt water as opposed to seconds for the electronics of the Phantom.
The SD card and the propellers are probably all that would still work.
Any image files will be in the DCIM -> 100Media directory.
If the directory is empty it means that no photos or videos were taken.

I think this is very honest of you and good of you to take the time and trouble to see if you can find the owner. I am sure we all dread our phantoms doing a fly away. Just wash the sd card under the tap and dry it well. Leave it over night and stick it in the computer etc. You may need an micro card adapter if your setup will not take it as it is.

I personally have a file on my SD card giving my telephone number and offering a reward. If its any help you can post me the card and I will take a look for you. Will also paypal over your costs of doing it to you to.

As I said before we all hope that someone will take the time you have taken to find a lost drones owner. If you want to PM me about anything feel free. I assume your in the UK too?

Frank C

Cool sidekick you have there :)

I'll take the dog. Cool looking dude.

You are such an honest person, I / we would like to thank you for your efforts by rewarding you. Let's know what do you expect as a reward? Be reasonable :)

Reactions: pomonabill220
I would suggest you contact dji.com and send them an email with the drone serial number if they find the owner they will put him in contact with you

Really ... there's not much point trying to return this as it's only good for a paperweight now.
And although people often suggest contacting DJI to track the serial number, I've never seen any report to indicate this has ever worked out.

every drone was register with DJI if not it would never fly so if you find a drone it will never fly unless you give the email add and the password of when you register it
I think it's a good protection so no used the one for sale on auction on ebay cause it will be worthless

Really ... there's not much point trying to return this as it's only good for a paperweight now.
And although people often suggest contacting DJI to track the serial number, I've never seen any report to indicate this has ever worked out.
I agree about DJI. In fact, it seems like I have heard the opposite. People have reported that DJI told them that they wont help.

I have never seen a positive outcome when reaching out to DJI for help with finding an owner, but I guess there's always a chance it could happen.

what is it to lose at least he won't waste his time asking everyone as I said DJI would be the right place to ask..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj