Phantom radios

Reaction score
Hi guys. I am new to the Phantom world. I am also a beginner pilot... I was looking to get a different radio, and I have been looking for a fairly simple radio. Have been mainly researching the Futaba t8J. I was wondering if anyone had any advice?

I thought the one to go for was the "A" version as quad-copters are more like planes than heli's?
Someone mentioned it here or on another forum in regards to the Phantom. I'm still on stock Tx at the moment myself.

Retroman said:
I thought the one to go for was the "A" version as quad-copters are more like planes than heli's?
Someone mentioned it here or on another forum in regards to the Phantom. I'm still on stock Tx at the moment myself.
Hmmm. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm on stock also but thought I read the H was for us quad folks.
Someone with more experience needs to answer then.

Sorry if I mis quoted. You know what they say about assumptions. ;-)

E

Edit: oh, wait a min. I was just clarifying H and A. Not what to use. I'm ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run the T8FG, $500, you get 14 channels and better receiver. My video feed cuts out around 1.5 km. One of the best things I have bought for the phantom. It is worth the extra couple of hundred bucks.

Hey guys. I have been researching the Spectrum dx8. Any other suggestions? And would i get the helicopter or airplane model?
Thanks!

It doesn't matter which model radio you get. The T8J-A defaults to airplane mode when turned on, and the T8J-H defaults
to helicopter mode, when turned on. Both can be used for either application, and are capable of the same functions.

There are other differences though. They have the 3-position switches on opposite sides. T8J-H has them on the left, and the T8J-A has a ratcheted throttle.
Also, most of the YouTube videos are using the T8J-H, so be aware of that, if you get the T8J-A, which is probably why Gizmo3000 suggested getting the Heli version.

To answer somebody else's question; yes, the Phantom is programmed in Airplane acrobatic mode.

One final thing,(at least until I think of another final thing) Is get the Turnigy 6.6v 2100mah battery packs from Hobby King.
You can set the parameter to 5 cell, and have more signal power than from the AA cells.

runnerman said:
Hey guys. I have been researching the Spectrum dx8. Any other suggestions?

I have a Spektrum DX8 I planned to use, but am worried about implementing the Return To Home and other features of the Phantom radio. Are these issues a problem, or is it pretty straightforward to put in a Spektrum receiver?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl