Phantom Pro 3 vs Heavy Wind - near disaster

My opinion is that he either pushed into atti mode by mistake or by sat lose, or got confused on flight nose direction as bird would have handled those winds. if went in auto land still would have held position as descended unless pilot was making flight corrections.

The visuals look like atti mode. But only in the way of drifting and nothing else. It did not show any signs of having controller input have an effect on the drift. Dropping below 6 satellites is a good possibility for explaining a flight mode change. The problem is the lack of flight control other then the option to descend. Like most I'm still learning the P3 characteristics.

Would you mind sending me your txt file to look over. The current profile logger hasn't been setup to show the good stuff, but I can see the altitude throughout the flight and that of course is the main bit of data we would want to see. I might also be able to sync the video time with the flight as well.
Email it to [email protected]

Frank

I have been using pre-p3 software and I have been looking to see if it records it. My pre-production p3 is on beta firmware and I dare not update which prevents me using the latest app

Edit - thanks to your help I have not only exported the CSV but also rendering a dashware video. Sent you the info via email. Looks like full satellite count

Last edited:
OK - in the interests of pushing this wonderful aircraft decided to fly it in the most windy conditions...

Up on a mountain with no tree cover... wind speeds of 20 mph with gusts of 40 mph. Flat and no shelter. Ideal place to see what this little UAV can take... 'Fly it like you stole it'

You can hear the props whirring at full blast - that is not the phantom powered up. It is switched off - it was the wind spinning up the props when I was holding it against the wind!! Listen carefully and it sounded like it was in flight.

The Phantom3 flew well under the conditions. Against the wind it flew at 4-5mph at full throttle.. downwind it flew around 34mph with no forward throttle. You can see that motorbike screaming at about 100mph on the road... yet it filmed it pretty steady in one place.

Anyway did a couple of gentle circuits and then decided to go further towards what looked like a 'slip stream' ahead (the green bit of grass) - bad idea... the phantom just flew backwards at over 40 mph with no stick input within a matter of seconds. This is at the 4:00 mark. I was simply stationary and hovering on the spot when I could see the phantom flying backwards.

It felt like a 'flyaway' - I could not stop the phantom even with full throttle forwards. Let go off the sticks and it carried on backwards... bye bye phantom...I could also see that the phantom was not tilting against the wind or making any attempt to stop and hold it's position when my hands were off the sticks. I decided to Rapidly descend to get out of the wind currents and then did a rapid landing before things got more nasty. So I still had control to descend and it slowed down when I lose height - "it just felt like no control rolling backwards down a hill with the handbrake off in a car..."

In hindsight I could have activated auto land but considering I had about 3 seconds to think before the phantom disappeared over the ridge at about 40mph I decided to land asap and cut my losses. After a 10 minute hike up the mountain we retrieved the phantom with just a bit of mud on one of the props.. No damage at all. In fact DJI pilot guided me towards the aircraft which made things easier. You can see how windy it was up at the landing site when I hovered it again.

Love the P3 - while I would not recommend flying in this sort of conditions it is a tough little aircraft nevertheless. I am still not sure why the Phantom just 'flew away' so quickly - I can only assume that the gust of wind was so strong it just overwhelmed the P3 flight controller and just blew with the wind...

Video to follow after youtube sucks it in..

That looks like the road between Hirwain and the A470?

I've often gone ton up along there... but not anymore, too many suicidal sheep!

Edit: It definitely is. You should go and do some filming of the waterfalls at Ystradfellta :)

My opinion is that he either pushed into atti mode by mistake or by sat lose, or got confused on flight nose direction as bird would have handled those winds. if went in auto land still would have held position as descended unless pilot was making flight corrections.

I did not go into ATTI mode. That I am certain. However getting disorientated - I did wonder if this was the case. However my spotter who was next to me and reported that the first few seconds I was hovering and the sticks were in neutral when it picked up speed. He also reported that I was trying to stop the aircraft from flying away by applying full forward -> You can see in the video that the aircraft almost stops. I then let go off the sticks again and it drifts off rapidly. Like anything I can't vouch for this a 100% but I am not usually known for wrong sticking but I guess it can happen if the orientation is lost. Having flown over 50-60 flights this is the first time I have experienced this and it was LOS

That looks like the road between Hirwain and the A470?

I've often gone ton up along there... but not anymore, too many suicidal sheep!

Edit: It definitely is. You should go and do some filming of the waterfalls at Ystradfellta :)

Yes it is.. well spotted. ?? Suicidal sheep

Dashware Video - been uploaded to youtube

thanks Frank for tips on getting flight info without flytrex

Been very windy here too! In leicester! By the way Is that William with you? Lol.

Are you able to play back the flight from "Flight Record" from within User Centre that shows stick movements and lots of other details? Just wondering if that will help work out what went wrong?

P.S. I've flown many times with wind like this on my old P2V+, reaching 78mph a couple of times! I'm looking forward to trying this out on my P3 at some point.

As long as you're careful and have plenty of open space around you, and are willing to take a risk, then it really is great fun seeing the quad zip past at 70mph+ speeds!

P.S. I've flown many times with wind like this on my old P2V+, reaching 78mph a couple of times! I'm looking forward to trying this out on my P3 at some point.

As long as you're careful and have plenty of open space around you, and are willing to take a risk, then it really is great fun seeing the quad zip past at 70mph+ speeds!

That is the reason why I mentioned in a earlier post that I wished I was there flying with them. The landscape is almost perfect for high speed flights. The speed mph in my signature as it also shows was with a 21mph tail wind. If you compare that to the type of winds seen in Mohan's video it should have flown over 100mph.

-Frank

Man, you guys are nuts. I have a pretty funny video in my backyard where my old P2 goes up, gets picked up by a gust of wind and gets thrown into a tree. In like 7 seconds. Granted, it wasn't the smartest area to go up in, but in my defense it didn't seem windy at all on the ground, it was just swirling above me. Luckily some branches lightened the fall and the bird was fine. Durable little suckers. But I will NOT put my P3 up in windy conditions.

My software on the shield is so ancient it does not record stick movements unlike my new P3 running on the latest DJI Pilot 1.1.1

Flew the P3 today for over an hour and a half by cycling the 2 batts I got with an Invertor in the boot of my car.

By the time I had emptied 1 battery the one was 3/4 full using the P3 rapid charger and the Invertor. My Car engine was running half the time. It was up a mountain. Fairly windy - P3 was a champ and showed no ill effects from the bumpy landing

Mohan
Are you able to play back the flight from "Flight Record" from within User Centre that shows stick movements and lots of other details? Just wondering if that will help work out what went wrong?

Frank - you are up there really when it comes to pushing things - you should take leekiya with you to get him started... Sorry Lee but wondering when you are going to joy ride your P3

That is the reason why I mentioned in a earlier post that I wished I was there flying with them. The landscape is almost perfect for high speed flights. The speed mph in my signature as it also shows was with a 21mph tail wind. If you compare that to the type of winds seen in Mohan's video it should have flown over 100mph.

-Frank

Just a comment on the wind. I've flown the P2 in 30 mph winds. Initially scary but you get used to it quickly. The P3 should do even better. The wind will mess with you in ATTI mode - the biggest problem is that the aircraft will spin and lead to pilot disorientation. It doesn't look like that is what happened here.

I had a 250 racing quad that flew away because of high winds and spinning. I couldn't keep it on a path home and I couldn't land (it was over a river of all things). If anyone sees it, the last vector was towards Iceland. (Solution for that is to stay on the goggles/screen on FPV - no disorientation that way).

Just about any of the larger quads in GPS will maintain in 30 mph winds. I have a Tarot 810 that I maidened in that stuff and it was fine.

Like the UK people, if I don't fly in winds, then I don't fly.

OK - in the interests of pushing this wonderful aircraft decided to fly it in the most windy conditions...

Up on a mountain with no tree cover... wind speeds of 20 mph with gusts of 40 mph. Flat and no shelter. Ideal place to see what this little UAV can take... 'Fly it like you stole it'

You can hear the props whirring at full blast - that is not the phantom powered up. It is switched off - it was the wind spinning up the props when I was holding it against the wind!! Listen carefully and it sounded like it was in flight.

The Phantom3 flew well under the conditions. Against the wind it flew at 4-5mph at full throttle.. downwind it flew around 34mph with no forward throttle. You can see that motorbike screaming at about 100mph on the road... yet it filmed it pretty steady in one place.

Anyway did a couple of gentle circuits and then decided to go further towards what looked like a 'slip stream' ahead (the green bit of grass) - bad idea... the phantom just flew backwards at over 40 mph with no stick input within a matter of seconds. This is at the 4:00 mark. I was simply stationary and hovering on the spot when I could see the phantom flying backwards.

It felt like a 'flyaway' - I could not stop the phantom even with full throttle forwards. Let go off the sticks and it carried on backwards... bye bye phantom...I could also see that the phantom was not tilting against the wind or making any attempt to stop and hold it's position when my hands were off the sticks. I decided to Rapidly descend to get out of the wind currents and then did a rapid landing before things got more nasty. So I still had control to descend and it slowed down when I lose height - "it just felt like no control rolling backwards down a hill with the handbrake off in a car..."

In hindsight I could have activated auto land but considering I had about 3 seconds to think before the phantom disappeared over the ridge at about 40mph I decided to land asap and cut my losses. After a 10 minute hike up the mountain we retrieved the phantom with just a bit of mud on one of the props.. No damage at all. In fact DJI pilot guided me towards the aircraft which made things easier. You can see how windy it was up at the landing site when I hovered it again.

Love the P3 - while I would not recommend flying in this sort of conditions it is a tough little aircraft nevertheless. I am still not sure why the Phantom just 'flew away' so quickly - I can only assume that the gust of wind was so strong it just overwhelmed the P3 flight controller and just blew with the wind...

Video to follow after youtube sucks it in..

Sure you didn't have it in ATTI mode? Also it's with noting the piece you have attacked to rhe landing skids likely to protect the gimbal in a crash is also going to add additional drag especially in such high wind conditions. Your phantom would have done better in those winds without it but regardless the P3 isn't mesnt for such extreme gusts of wind.

Sure you didn't have it in ATTI mode? Also it's with noting the piece you have attacked to rhe landing skids likely to protect the gimbal in a crash is also going to add additional drag especially in such high wind conditions. Your phantom would have done better in those winds without it but regardless the P3 isn't mesnt for such extreme gusts of wind.
Yep not ATTI flight logs confirm it

gimbal guard is more likely to save my camera...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20