Phantom Pilots of Southern California

It's more like you are so eager to jump on people that you don't bother to look at the photo. I guess that makes you feel holier than thou. I suggest you get off your high horse and stop being so sanctimonious when you have no reason to. You don't even bother to at least verify if what you are accusing me of is true or not. You just went right ahead making all kind of assumption based on some kind of inflated ego and hurl accusations. Seeing that you are from Orange County and this is a thread on flying in Orange County, SURELY, this particular location isn't foreign to you, is it? How many airport of this size can you count in OC anyway? And does it look anywhere remotely like John Wayne?

So I am sure you understand if I don't take advice from people who behave so rashly.

Do you see any terminals/buildings shown in the picture?
Do you see any planes parked, on the runway, in the sky, anywhere in the picture?
Do you see that orange balloon to the left?
Do you see runway light? And lights going off to the side?

So tell me, WHY can't I fly there? (and no, don't go getting on your horse and start making unfounded assumptions again) You seem to know the area better than I do even though I was there at location and you weren't.

BTW, I've boxed some areas I like you to looked at since you seem to have missed it the first time (probably too busy hitting the reply button and missed it).

View attachment 40729

I know what I am doing. And I know better than you in this instance seeing I was there and you weren't.
This is a picture of the old el toro base. It's been closed for over a decade. But Irvine police won't let you fly here. It's still restricted property (plenty of signs posted). Irvine PD patrol this area like clock work.
Btw- this is the same airfield/base shown in the original Independence Day movie

@regdawg FYI I have been arrested and released on scene (1 hour detainment, hands on the hood of the car, don't move, you *are* being detained type of a thing) for flying in Long Beach. Case never made it to court but I did have to have my attorney make a few calls.

The police here can be bought. If your flight pisses someone off who happens to be owed a favor from them, you're in for a bad day. That's what I learned...and I'm still pretty unhappy about it.

dayam seriously? Well I was down in LBC this past weekend but didn't get anytime to fly so maybe it was better that way. Gettting arrested, even though you were released, just for flying your drone and having fun is absurd. Its instantances like this that will scare people away from the hobby.

Reactions: pomonabill220
I'm in Santa Clarita (Canyon Country) and fly sometimes at Central Park but looking to try out Vasquez Rocks and other desert parks soon! I'm a newbie, only flown 3 times so far and still only have one battery!

I'm in Santa Clarita (Canyon Country) and fly sometimes at Central Park but looking to try out Vasquez Rocks and other desert parks soon! I'm a newbie, only flown 3 times so far and still only have one battery!

I'm in Fresno but go down to LA often...I've been thinking about stopping somewhere in the Grapvine to maybe get some shots. Any recommendations? I would guess anywhere in the grapevine maybe....LoL. Only thing that I'd be hesitant of is so many cars pass through there someone might get suspicious.

I'm going to the Van nuys RC field Thursday afternoon. Anyone going to be there?
Van Nuys RC field
Lake Balboa, CA 91406
Google Maps

Reactions: David Tolsky
I'm going to the Van nuys RC field Thursday afternoon. Anyone going to be there?
Van Nuys RC field
Lake Balboa, CA 91406
Google Maps

Wish I would have seen this sooner. Let me know next time you go. It's about a 25 minute ride for me but I'll meet you there with my P3. Still only have one battery though. **** batteries are expensive

that's not too far from me. Was in that area today in fact. Let me know next time you're there
Going back Friday between 12-1. I've got 4 batts. Youre welcome to borrow. I've also got a car charger. I'll be testing airspace on autopilot app and maybe Vertical studio tracking if I have time. Gotta beat the traffic back to the OC!

Last edited:
dayam seriously? Well I was down in LBC this past weekend but didn't get anytime to fly so maybe it was better that way. Getting arrested, even though you were released, just for flying your drone and having fun is absurd. Its instances like this that will scare people away from the hobby.
Yes. It was and is extremely upsetting. I am actually selling my P3 directly as a result of that experience. I did successfully have the charge dropped before trial; but that required sitting down with my attorney, definitely not free. I'm not good with police. It will be a miracle if I get that lucky twice. I should not continue to own something which invites conversations with law enforcement.

This post is really old but I'm wondering if this group still gets together? !! I'm in Arcadia.

I flew at dusk all around Suicide Bridge on the Arroyo Seco in Pasadena. It was cool and eerie at the same time. .

Anyone interested in hitting Van Nuys RC Field next Saturday?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes. It was and is extremely upsetting. I am actually selling my P3 directly as a result of that experience. I did successfully have the charge dropped before trial; but that required sitting down with my attorney, definitely not free. I'm not good with police. It will be a miracle if I get that lucky twice. I should not continue to own something which invites conversations with law enforcement.

Its an experience like you had that I hope I never experience. I think that is the thing thats been holding me back from even upgrading to the P3 or whatever else comes out in the future. I'm fine flying with my P2 until all this stuff gets ironed out, if it ever does.

Man that sucks, sorry to hear you're hanging it up because of this. I live in Long Beach and fly at the port of LA/LB about once a week. I have not had and face to face run in's with LBPD or LAPD. I have had a sheriffs helicopter take notice of me for about 30 seconds then fly away. I guess I've been lucky so far. There is a large area of the port that is out side of the LB airport 5 mile radius.

This post is really old but I'm wondering if this group still gets together? !! I'm in Arcadia.
I'm from Arcadia! Where have you flown around there before? I have flown the Rose Bowl once and posted a video and got ripped on this forum for it cuz it was over a stadium. Mind you it was in March on a Sunday and nothing was going on. I guess everyone on here needs to make sure they their voice is heard.

I'm from Arcadia! Where have you flown around there before? I have flown the Rose Bowl once and posted a video and got ripped on this forum for it cuz it was over a stadium. Mind you it was in March on a Sunday and nothing was going on. I guess everyone on here needs to make sure they their voice is heard.

As far as I'm concerned More Power to ya. It was Sunday and you got the shot. I'd do the same. They are just jealous that they didn't get it

Man that sucks, sorry to hear you're hanging it up because of this. I live in Long Beach and fly at the port of LA/LB about once a week. I have not had and face to face run in's with LBPD or LAPD. I have had a sheriffs helicopter take notice of me for about 30 seconds then fly away. I guess I've been lucky so far. There is a large area of the port that is out side of the LB airport 5 mile radius.

My question is where do you launch from to fly the Port of L.A. in light of L.A.M.C. 56.31 Which prohibits launch from any area controlled by the port.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers