Phantom Pilots in or around Tucson AZ.

Hi Johnny.

I'm in the Catalina Foothills, so depending on how you are defining "near" I just might be. ;)

I would like to fly out near Twin Peaks someday soon, even though it looks like a call to Marana Regional Airport might be needed for that.

Welcome aboard, Rick.

I posted a short video of a flight session out on Park Link Road between Oracle Junction and Picacho Peak from a couple of weeks ago. Fantastic area to fly. I was riding a motorcycle to get out there, so I was pretty far away from the Owl Head buttes. I was hoping to go out this weekend but you know what the weather is like, so that's not going to happen. PM me if interested in going out with me next weekend. Owl's Head Ranch Road looks to be the route to get into a better launch spot.

- Sam

S. Owl's Head Ranch Road puts you on State Trust Land with a grazing lease, so might be off limits for recreational use if grazing critters are present. The Trust land site specifically mentions agriculture leases but not grazing.
td

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. Fortunately I have a permit that is still valid until the end of the year.

Even with a permit:
"You will not harass livestock or wildlife nor damage, destroy or remove any livestock or wildlife improvements or facilities (i.e., windmills, stock tanks, fences, corrals, wildlife watering facilities, etc.)"
"Lands leased for agriculture, mining, commercial, or military purposes are not open to recreational use."

The Sasco ruins would be another place to fly up in that area. About 10 miles west of Red Rock.

td

Last edited:
Two noobs headed to the Sasco ruins on Saturday. Forecast is 72 and sunny so staying at lower elevation.
Just hope the paintballers aren't out there.

We're planning to get there around 10. We'll be exploring and photographing in addition to flying. Later in the day, wind might be a problem.

Here's one still from our trip to the smelter ruins at Sasco. No paintballers but there was a group of Airsofters (?) one of which we caught on video trying to be stealthy behind a concrete piling. Later there were three in the ruins behind us captured by another pilot. We didn't see them until we reviewed the video.

Last edited:
Reactions: azgeek
The MeetUp group had a good turnout up at Windy Point. Had a nice range of aircraft including a range of Phantom 3's and 4, a 3DR solo and even a mini whoop!
I did a 360 panorama, you can see it here: HawkView Aerial Solutions
DJI_0429.jpg DJI_0431.jpg DJI_0570.jpg DJI_0605.jpg

Reactions: NewMexicoFlyer
I don't think I'll trust my Phantom to a "compatible" battery.

td

p.s
Heading back to Empire Ranch on Saturday to work on the F modes in the wide open space.

I thought it was a 'factory' battery, not aftermarket. Glad you replied and saved me some $$ and trouble. THANKS

I thought I was doing the members a service by telling my story regarding DronePilotPro regardless of geographic location.
Intent was good, perhaps just not the right section in the forum. We are all here to learn (at least that's my perspective).

A while back I decided to set my right joystick to forward = descend and back = climb like in aircraft and collective pitch in helicopters.
Here's a short video of my first flight using that configuration. Phantom 3 4K.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic