Phantom Pilots in or around Tucson AZ.

I will be in Tucson in the beginning of February. I know you can't fly in the Saguaro National Park, are the outskirts on the northern edge of the SW portion of the park worth flying? Just as you top over the ridge? Looking to get some sweet shots but not sure how big they are in that area?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

FYI The Titan II missile site off the Sonoita highway is now posted with no trespassing signs.

A couple of us noobs are planning a trip to the Empire Ranch area on Feb 4th to practice in wide open space.

In an earlier post I mentioned that a couple of us noobs will be going to Empire Ranch on Saturday, Feb 4th to practice flying. In accordance with FAA rules I called the manager of an ultralight airfield (AZ19) shown on the Phoenix sectional chart and Airmap since we would be within 5 miles. The listed number has the wrong area code so I looked up the name of the manager, found the correct number and left a message. Today I received a call from his daughter who told me he had passed away and that the ultralight port is no longer active. She said she would try to contact the FAA to have it removed from the list.
So basically it looks like there is no notification needed to fly on the BLM land at Empire Ranch.
We are planning to head out 8-9 am on Feb 4th if anybody wants to join us. If wind prevents flying we will try the Rosemont area.
d.

Today I received a call from his daughter who told me he had passed away and that the ultralight port is no longer active.

Sorry to hear that he passed. The Tucson Amateur Astronomy Association used to conduct star parties out on the airstrip, so I know that area very well. Just curious as to why you chose this location? It's pretty wide open although there is a power line to the south of the airstrip. Aside from that there isn't much to see (no offense or specific snobbishness intended).

(snip) Aside from that there isn't much to see.

There's lots to see, nothing to block your view! :)

I actually went to a couple star parties out there and once led a 4-wheel trip to the pump site for Total Wreck. On that trip we encountered a herd of antelope and a bunch (pride, herd, group?) of peccaries. There's also Cienega Creek with its stand of large drone grabbing trees. And if permitted the ranch house.

Since I have three flights logged and the other person has none I think it will be a good spot to practice the basics and also check out functions such as POI, waypoints, and follow me. Also if there's a malfunction it would be easier to find the remains. And most important... restrooms!
d.

This is a quickly edited video of a train passing over the Union Pacific trestle bridge in the Cienega Creek Natural Preserve at Marsh Station Road.
DJI_0711.jpg
No one got any footage of all the train engines outside of benson? I will be driving by Friday and will try....

Reactions: NewMexicoFlyer
What's the rules on flying in Tucson Mountain park?

Here's some info that should help in u derstanding the current restrictions in all Pima County parks:
Drones banned at county parks - Pima County

http://www.webcms.pima.gov/UserFile...ecreation Commission/20160812_PRC_Minutes.pdf

I haven't been able to find the "drone regulations" PDF mentioned in item 1of the year end summary. Please note that enforcement is stated to cover take off / landing in the park; airspace above is correctly identified as not being under county control. I would add that controlling your UAV while in a county park is likely to be considered restricted.

If you still want to fly (legally) then you can try for a special use permit. You'll likely need your Part 107 for that.

So parking in your car and flying from the road would be considered technically legit..... just can't launch or control from in the park.

So parking in your car and flying from the road would be considered technically legit..... just can't launch or control from in the park.

I think the problem there is that both Gates Pass and Kinney roads might be considered as being in the park. There is one spot that is not part of the park and could be a great launch point if you can get permission from the landowner.

Google Maps

It's not that difficult to follow the FAA rules.
Be aware of NOTAM's and TFR's and avoid the NFZ's when flying your sUAV either FPV or VLOS.
Notify ATC or FSS per AMA, FAA, and ICAO guidlines to be A-OK and avoid contact from the PCSD, TPD, FBI, CANSO, IATA, ANSP, ACI, ACLU, and Goldberg and Osborne.
Further questions and clarification requests should be directed to the Electronics Industry Education and Information Office (EIEIO).
o_O

Yeah FAA is simple, it's these unposted undocumented no fly zones.....

Azgeek, the road and right of way is maintained by the county/state not the park so it wouldn't 'technically' be part of the park. Lmao. Looking for a loophole. Funny cause people complain if you break the rules but apparently the only place you can fly is your backyard and then your neighbors hate you. [emoji849]

I live in Vail. Waiting for my P4 to be delivered. New to the hobby. Would like to meet other flyers in the Tucson!
I'm in Vail as well. Pretty new to this I got a P4 about a month ago and still getting used to flying it

Greg

Here's a short video of the noob trip to Empire Ranch. This was my fourth time out with the P3-4k. I also experimented using the drone hand held walking down the narrow trail. Everything else is flying. Empire is a great place to practice. Once it greens up and if there are wildflowers this year it will be even better. There was a herd of antelope crossing the road but we thought it better to leave them alone.
https://vimeo.com/203378961

Reactions: Grandsport

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie