Phantom Pilot App for Android really that bad?

Just ignore or block him. Please, anything other than encouraging him to reply again.

Yeah..i'm done with that.

What I will do is upgrade all my stuff tonight and post some results back for anyone else with a nexus6 or nexus7. Keeping fingers crossed that maybe this new firmware will have some positive affects.

Reactions: dlbyers
Yeah..i'm done with that.

What I will do is upgrade all my stuff tonight and post some results back for anyone else with a nexus6 or nexus7. Keeping fingers crossed that maybe this new firmware will have some positive affects.
Awesome. Thanks sir. I look forward to your feedback.

So is the android app really that bad? I have just been scrolling through the app reviews on Google play and it is full to the brim with 1 star reviews saying that it simply doesn't work and buyers remorse!

My only device is a Nexus 6 and I'm a bit worried about purchasing a P3 and having compatibility problems even though it's a high spec'd phone and don't like the idea of getting an iPad just for flying.
I have an LG G4 which is a powerful phone and it will overheat rapidly when running the pilot app. Keep in mind I am flying early morning and the temp outside is 70 to 75. I would say I get 5 min of lag free flight before all hell breaks loose. I am with you I don't want to have to buy an iPad either but I have 2500 into the drone already.
Is the android app really that bad?

So now we are back to a few people having an issues and somehow that "80%". Sure, there are SOME android devices that have issues. My Samsung Tab 1 is one of those devices. My Tab 3 and 4, Galaxy S4 and S6 all run without a hitch. And have played pandora while flying since you mentioned that as well. So between the TWO of us, 30% have an issue... thats NOWHERE near 80%, and the Tab 1 is 5 years old!! If we take that out of the mix you are down to 20%.

I agree with @nv40 why is there has always been more functionality on IOS that has not been on Android. DJI's marketing stated it was on from the getgo... Simulator and Live streaming...

Poorly written app or firmware. Top of the line tablets should run pilot easy.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Poorly written app or firmware. Top of the line tablets should run pilot easy.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

There isn't really any excuse from dji, I understand there is a lot of different phones / tablets that run android but just hide it from incompatible devices on the play store or just develop it for everything running kitkat and above. Many other services have done this with success, as I said before, it's just plain lazy

There are NO compatible androids according to their site. When I contacted them about framerate on my Tab S they said sorry, you are using a non compatible device. Refer to our site which is this...

• iOS: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
  • Android version coming soon.

I think it's great - clearly a huge step forward from the old Vision app for P2V and P2V+. You no longer need to connect via USB - do everything in the app. And with the 720p FPV, you can really see well what you're shooting.

However, even on modern hardware (Nexus 9), I was getting slight lag and the Pilot app was using the whole power of the tablet. The app would also crash, maybe once every 2 flights I solved that by doing what others discovered: downgrade Google Play services (and maps etc, all the google stuff) and now the video quality is gorgeous and smooth and I can even run my screen recorder app at the same time. And no more crashes at all.

Other than the incompatibility with the latest Google Play, DJI has done a pretty great job on the app I have to say. I'm sure they'll solve these problems and it will be solid.
What exactly do you mean by downgrading your Google Play services? I have a Note 2 and it works fairly well with flying my P3A but It needs improvement. Thanks

There are NO compatible androids according to their site. When I contacted them about framerate on my Tab S they said sorry, you are using a non compatible device. Refer to our site which is this...

• iOS: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
You are about as lost as Pluto in the planetary index! That has absolutely NOTHING to do with there being supported Android devices! And everything to do with supported devices for the new version. 1.2 was very much compatible with, and well supported for MANY devices.
There isn't really any excuse from dji, I understand there is a lot of different phones / tablets that run android but just hide it from incompatible devices on the play store or just develop it for everything running kitkat and above. Many other services have done this with success, as I said before, it's just plain lazy
That is NOT a functional solution as I can run KitKat, for example, on any of my android devices.. so of which are 5 years old and not 'supposed' to be able to fun it. There is no way to keep incompatible devices 100% away from running the app, ANY app!

You are about as lost as Pluto in the planetary index! That has absolutely NOTHING to do with there being supported Android devices! And everything to do with supported devices for the new version. 1.2 was very much compatible with, and well supported for MANY devices.

That is NOT a functional solution as I can run KitKat, for example, on any of my android devices.. so of which are 5 years old and not 'supposed' to be able to fun it. There is no way to keep incompatible devices 100% away from running the app, ANY app!

It's better than what they currently have with a very odd selection of Android devices officially supported. All I am saying is they should narrow down the minimum requirements and focus on higher end, more capable phones & tablets.

Reactions: III% Streve
It's better than what they currently have with a very odd selection of Android devices officially supported. All I am saying is they should narrow down the minimum requirements and focus on higher end, more capable phones & tablets.
Thats fair, but people SHOULD be smart enough to do SOME thinking for themselves! Thats obviously NOT the case most of the time, unfortunately!

I dont have to shut stuff off to watch youtube...or use google maps..or use navigation. Hell...i can be navigating with google maps, while listening to pandora, and using voice dictation to have a hangouts conversation....this is NOTHING but inept programming skills from DJI.

I'm a computer tech...I have SOME info on the area. You can NOT tell me that app needs more resources than a 3 way skype video call (which i do all the time). The video call is pulling and pusing data...using the camera...it logs and adjust the video feed based on cell phone strength.

The DJI app simply needs to display video and telemetry...all the heavy lifting should be done by the controller. It is nothing more than a glorified youtube video player with a FEW extra things running. To bog down modern phones with quad core procs in them is simply stupid...period.

Right there shows maybe a A+ computer tech? Please don't take the wrong way but a 3 way Skype call is nothing compared to what's going on when running the pilot app.
( IT Manager for a City)

Reactions: III% Streve
I agree with @nv40 why is there has always been more functionality on IOS that has not been on Android. DJI's marketing stated it was on from the getgo... Simulator and Live streaming...

A lot of the differences is the android frag.. Impossible to code all features of the iOS device.

Reactions: rrmccabe
Right there shows maybe a A+ computer tech? Please don't take the wrong way but a 3 way Skype call is nothing compared to what's going on when running the pilot app.
( IT Manager for a City)
I was going to say something, but decided not to waste my time.

Well when I chatted with DJI and asked about lag problem they said sorry your device is not supported. Please refer to this list and sent me that link.

EDIT: This is list. Cut and pasted the wrong part.

Regardless, I cant run it without play services rolled back.

• OS: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
  • Android: Samsung S5, Note 3, Sony Xperia Z3, Google Nexus 7 II, Google Nexus 9, Mi 3, Nubia Z7 mini
  • *Support for additional Android devices available as testing and development continues

You... the info YOU posted has nothing to do with anything except the current version of DJI GO, which is not yet running openly on Android. DJI Pilot is, and has been since conception I believe, on MANY Android devices. It still runs perfectly fine today.

Well it does NOT run fine on my device with the Pilot App. Totally unusable without play services rolled back. Now that said I don't know if its a Play Services/Android issue or DJI. All I know is DJI says "sorry, non compatible device"/

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic