Phantom Photos on Magazine Cover

Koz

Reaction score
I work for a publishing company that deals in both print media and electronic media. Normally my job is to develop apps, develop web platforms and components, and write code for whatever application we need. A few months ago the owner decided we should add aerial photos and video to our products and since I had experience flying RC aircraft I was chosen to fly our new Phantom. IMHO, it's a pretty cool gig :)

Anyway, one of the publications we put out is Island Real Estate Magazine. IREM has been around almost 30 years and it showcases homes for sale in the Hilton Head Island, SC area. I'm proud to say that for the past two months my photos have graced the cover of the magazine. You can see the latest digital editions of the magazine here: http://islandrealestatemagazine.hiltonh ... les/155865

Right now the photos and videos are for our own use, but we sure wish the FAA would get their act together and allow us to legally pursue this potential revenue stream. Our existing clients want in on this technology.

We're lucky to live in such a beautiful area and there are plenty of great spots for photos and video. In fact, I've been asked to put some coding projects on hold and go out and shoot video instead. Too bad we've had nothing but rain and overcast skies for the past three weeks. But it looks like we'll have a few clear days this week and I'll get to spend my days with the P2V+. In the next few weeks we're also getting a P2/GoPro/FPV system and I'll begin using that instead. I love my job!

Koz said:
Right now the photos and videos are for our own use, but we sure wish the FAA would get their act together and allow us to legally pursue this potential revenue stream. Our existing clients want in on this technology.

To be honest, even what you're doing with them there would run afoul of what the FAA considers "commercial use"...you don't have to directly sell the images for that to apply.

But yes, you're absolutely right that fair and reasonable laws are needed...yesterday.

OI Photography said:
To be honest, even what you're doing with them there would run afoul of what the FAA considers "commercial use"...you don't have to directly sell the images for that to apply.

Our stance is that since we do not charge for our printed or digital magazine we are not making a profit from the aircraft or photos. Granted, that might be splitting hairs, but the FAA focus has been on the "for profit" UAV usage and in the eyes of the law (by that I mean judges in the courtroom) there is still a lot of gray area despite the 2012 Modernization Act.

If the FAA is serious about cracking down on UAV usage they should be taking on Hollywood and the big ad agencies. Instead, they want to try to intimidate small businesses instead of taking on big businesses with deep pockets. You can bet that there have been lobbyists greasing the palms of the FAA to protect Hollywood, Case in point, today I saw a Verizon TV commercial that had a Phantom flying through the store carrying a phone. Isn't that commercial use of a drone? Where's the FAA on this one?

If any small business gets threatened by the FAA the first thing they should do is point out this commercial and all of the TV shows and movies that use drones. Sure, the FAA will laugh. But then you go out and find a law firm that wants to make a name for itself. There are plenty of attorney's with egos.

Yes I'm familiar with that stance and a lot of people are hoping that will hold water, and since the FAA isn't truly doing anything to anyone other than hassling them (and don't assume it doesn't happen to big name studios or production houses) it's pretty moot right now anyway. I'm just saying that if/when the FAA does come down on commercial use, "we didn't directly charge money for it" isn't the legal platform I would want to be standing on...particularly when the images were used for marketing.

Looks like Verizon outsmarted the feds on this one. The drone was inside a building, not within the National Airspace System.

that looks like a tough job, flying drones on a beautiful island. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj