Phantom perspective buyers

Reaction score
Simply put after reading a number of post about the phantom 3 my gut tells me postpone this purchase.
My son tells me, people post more when something is negative than when something is good, Logic is the "how good it is" doesn't make the drawing board as much as how bad it is. ....... Possibly

So are there others in the same position awaiting their units, wondering if the timing is right? Is this product have all the bugs out or does it improve in 6 months.

Luckily I went with Amazon, an have a couple weeks to cancel

Maybe some of the veterans on here can tell me, has DJI put a unit out there then latter
Correct an issue after the public has done their test work? Thanks

There are always going to be issues. The bugs will never be worked out 100%. And, it's often hard to tell the difference between a bug and pilot error since so many pilots are misinformed. Considering the number of Phantoms sold, hardly anyone is complaining on the commonly visited Phantom forums. If the majority of owners complained online, there would be tens of thousands of posts per day.

If you're looking for a perfect product, the Phantom is probably not for you. Nor is any other type of quadcopter over ~$50. You're going to be very disappointed if you're expecting perfection.

has DJI put a unit out there then latter
Correct an issue after the public has done their test work?
Just IMHO that's what I think a P3 is . They took all the problems that were fixed and mods from the P1 and P2's
and put em in a blender and threw in some other great stuff and poured out the P3 :)
Like msinger said " If you're looking for the perfect product " I don't think you will ever find one . I haven't in nothing !
Spend some time in Video's and look at what it produces and maybe ya gut will tell ya something else :)
Again...JMO
Hope that came out right ;)

The P3 is a huge improvement over my P2V+. I think DJI makes the best product in this price range on the market. You cannot go wrong with a Phantom. But, I must warn you -- be prepared to learn a lot, spend hours of researching online, experiment, fail, practice, etc. A Phantom is not a toy and it's most certainly not ready to fly out of the box.

Maybe some of the veterans on here can tell me, has DJI put a unit out there then latter
Correct an issue after the public has done their test work? Thanks
Show me any product that is perfect with Version 1.0.

For what it's worth, the Version 1.0 of the Phantom 3 has, in my opinion, generated fewer problem reports in the forums than the P2 ever had.

And your son is correct, people rarely come to the forums to say they had yet another exciting but uneventful flight today.

PS, I had another exciting but uneventful flight today. And the day before that.

I've flown over a 100 miles in a month and not had a single major issue. Just like a flight crew has a checklist before takeoff, so should you. It will not foolproof your purchase but it will save you from a lot of mistakes drone pilots make in the field

The P3 is a huge improvement over my P2V+. I think DJI makes the best product in this price range on the market. You cannot go wrong with a Phantom.

And may I add/ask @msinger, did you love your P2V+?

Because that's what my response was going to be for the OP. I have a P2V+ and love it, and would love a P3 because everything I've read is even better.

I would go for it.

I'm in the same boat at the moment. Spending close to £1000 on a toy seemed OK at 1st but then after reading through some of the posts it's scaring the hell out of me.

I love my p3 it Flys awesome and the video is nuts !!!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

There are always going to be issues. The bugs will never be worked out 100%. And, it's often hard to tell the difference between a bug and pilot error since so many pilots are misinformed. Considering the number of Phantoms sold, hardly anyone is complaining on the commonly visited Phantom forums. If the majority of owners complained online, there would be tens of thousands of posts per day.

If you're looking for a perfect product, the Phantom is probably not for you. Nor is any other type of quadcopter over ~$50. You're going to be very disappointed if you're expecting perfection.

Thanks. I have not cancelled the order yet, My decision to buy this unit. With no experience or handy neighbor to help my be borderline insane, an that's on me. Have not read one issue on the quality,
That speaks volumes

Just IMHO that's what I think a P3 is . They took all the problems that were fixed and mods from the P1 and P2's
and put em in a blender and threw in some other great stuff and poured out the P3 :)
Like msinger said " If you're looking for the perfect product " I don't think you will ever find one . I haven't in nothing !
Spend some time in Video's and look at what it produces and maybe ya gut will tell ya something else :)
Again...JMO
Hope that came out right ;)

Thanks yes it does help and being reminded that 1 an 2 had issues an 3 (phantom 3 pro) is the better yet, is a perfect example,
Wink does that mean 4 is the one to wait on, On serious side one won't be able to fly 4 if he didn't fly 1 2 or 3. Will he

I feel you'll be waiting forever.

Jumping into a $1k flying camera does not expose you the reality of r/c flight. (fly-crash-repair/replace-fly... repeat)
In fact your actually greatly removed from the actual flying of the Phantom and just directing it where to go.
(Having said that, there are talented videographers out there who 'fly' it skillfully. Please no offense them)

Despite or because of the increased sophistication of FCs there will be failures on top of the already understood and accepted risks of 'wireless' aviation not to mention human error.

Thanks yes it does help and being reminded that 1 an 2 had issues an 3 (phantom 3 pro) is the better yet, is a perfect example,
Wink does that mean 4 is the one to wait on, On serious side one won't be able to fly 4 if he didn't fly 1 2 or 3. Will he
LOL I'll most likely be gone when the 4 comes out so I don't know about that .
I was just saying I think DJI has learnt from all the others and came out with one that has the distance and other features that we worked and moded to get .
They just keep getting better :)

When HD TV's first came out I had to make a similar decision.....$10,000 now or wait?

I waited. Eventually I got a MUCH larger, better HD TV for about 1/3 the price.
Poor me, I had to suffer through almost two years with a regular 60" TV in the meantime...lol

Yeah, I agree to a certain level but kind of disagree. The wait vs. "go for it" camps of thought vary largely depending on your personality more than anything.

In the TV example, I got an HD TV in like 2002 or something, projection TV but it was HD 51" killer quality, killer deal for $1600.. Couple years ago, I got an astoundingly better flatscreen 60" for same price.. Don't regret my old TV purchase..

Obviously future models will be better but you have to ask yourself if this is something you're excited to get into or not? While you're waiting, you're not in it.

Another example for me personally is electric vehicles. I saw the Volt when it was being previewed brand new in 2010 and totally salivated over it but its price was beyond my reasonable reach. By the end of 2014, used models were out for half the price, and I could jump on it. Still ahead of the curve from the perspective of most of my friends but I jumped once I could because it's something I really wanted to be involved in and a few years showed the product was good.

Gonna cut my rambling off, but I suppose the point is, are you passionate/excited about it? Then come on in! The products are refined at this point.

When HD TV's first came out I had to make a similar decision.....$10,000 now or wait?

I waited. Eventually I got a MUCH larger, better HD TV for about 1/3 the price.
Poor me, I had to suffer through almost two years with a regular 60" TV in the meantime...lol

So true but the new HD TV couldn't fly away the repaire man could find it, I understand your point same 0 same 0 here,, it only gets cheaper an better except at this stage the money isn't the sole factor
The disappointment of not being able to moderately have the selfs confidence to enjoy

Thing is, any flying carries risk and even perfectly good equipment can go down. Welcome to aviation.

But, for me a total loss is the cost of enjoying a wonderful sport, hobby and most of all technology. It’s cutting edge full of fascinating possibilities.

Waiting only prolongs not knowing and I like to “know” what does what, this and that, rinse & repeat.

As long as you don’t lose the gear it’s always gonna be worth something so initial price may never be the upfront price paid. Same logic with many adult toys. No wife jokes please, LOL...

It's true though, that if you don't want to learn the mechanics/repair of these devices, or don't have the tolerance to pay the repair shops to fix it anytime you bust your quad, the industry may not be for you.

Reminds me of the R/C car industry back when I was a kid. Driving around a little vehicle at 30mph+, eventually you smack into a rock or the curb or parking lot pole or another R/C car lol... You have a good cry :p and then get to repairing it. If you can't get into the techy side of it and don't have a deep pocketbook to just buy a new one or pay for repairs, you didn't last long..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers