Phantom Paint

Just did mine myself...had to take apart for repair so i went ahead and tore down the whole thing.its doable.......I took lots of pictures kept all screws and parts separated and labeled in zip lock bags and read up on here and watched a bunch of you tube videos before doing it till I felt comfortable. View attachment 52597
Wow unbelievable.
Did you painted that?

Hydro Dipping is not paint. Painting the Phantom 3 and expecting a show car finish would require - Disassembly of course , prep of the surface with an etching primer. Wet sand that finish. Then base coat . Wet sand that finish with high grit 1500-2000. Then clear. Wet sand that finish with high grit 1500-2000 and then compound and polish.

That's how cars are painted.

Great article on how to do that here: http://www.scaleautomag.com/how-to-models/how-to/2008/12/great-paint-from-spray-cans-part-i

This guy got up to 3,200 and then 12,000 grit on the Ferrari he did. Ended up looking very sweet, but that's pretty hard core finishing.

I just disassembled my P3A to repair a little incident with a tree limb. The entire disassembly isn't super hard, but just be very organized about it. I took lots of pictures along the way to make sure I get it back together properly.

It is tricky to get the shell separated without damaging it. I ended up putting some dents in my old one, but I was replacing the shell anyway due to the crash damage.

I'm also painting it a bright yellow with invasion stripes on the arms to make it as visible as possible. I'm not planning on the show car finish, however, just a nice spray finish. Yes, masking off all the screw holes and the light covers and all is a pain. If you've ever painted scale model airplanes, it's no harder or easier than that.

Hydro Dipping is not paint. Painting the Phantom 3 and expecting a show car finish would require - Disassembly of course , prep of the surface with an etching primer. Wet sand that finish. Then base coat . Wet sand that finish with high grit 1500-2000. Then clear. Wet sand that finish with high grit 1500-2000 and then compound and polish.

That's how cars are painted.

Yes I did. I hydro dipped it.was pretty easy. You can see a short clip of it here (hopefully)
Instagram video by @itsjessme_rc • Apr 29, 2016 at 1:29am UTC

I'm at work so I'll be sure to check that out myself.

Yes a lot of work and you'll need to be confident about opening up your quad.

Great article on how to do that here: Great paint from spray cans: Part I | Scale Auto Magazine

This guy got up to 3,200 and then 12,000 grit on the Ferrari he did. Ended up looking very sweet, but that's pretty hard core finishing.

I just disassembled my P3A to repair a little incident with a tree limb. The entire disassembly isn't super hard, but just be very organized about it. I took lots of pictures along the way to make sure I get it back together properly.

It is tricky to get the shell separated without damaging it. I ended up putting some dents in my old one, but I was replacing the shell anyway due to the crash damage.

I'm also painting it a bright yellow with invasion stripes on the arms to make it as visible as possible. I'm not planning on the show car finish, however, just a nice spray finish. Yes, masking off all the screw holes and the light covers and all is a pain. If you've ever painted scale model airplanes, it's no harder or easier than that.

Post a pic :)

Post a pic :)

Finally, after 3 months, I finished the project a couple of weeks ago. Here's the results:

Valkyrie%20on%20Ground%20854x600.jpg

Valkyrie%20in%20Air%20Side%201067x600.jpg

Valkyrie%20in%20Air%20Underside%20860x600.jpg

Valkyrie%20in%20Air%20Side-Top%201066x600.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4