Phantom P3A or a Mavic?

Reaction score
I just saw a Mavic flying today for the first time.
My first impression was how quiet it was and the portability is fantastic.

I am new to drones. I have a line on a P3A, lightly used and never crashed, with an extra battery for $400 original box.
I was all set to go with this deal then I saw the Mavic today.

I cannot get over how small it folds.

I understand the price difference is a lot. Taking price out of the equation what would you do?
How do their cameras compare for both video and stills?

Thanks for any tips.

The P3A camera is nearly identical to the P4 camera. Here's a comparison showing the differences between the P4 and Mavic cameras:

Reactions: SHRED
I just saw a Mavic flying today for the first time.
My first impression was how quiet it was and the portability is fantastic.

I am new to drones. I have a line on a P3A, lightly used and never crashed, with an extra battery for $400 original box.
I was all set to go with this deal then I saw the Mavic today.

I cannot get over how small it folds.

I understand the price difference is a lot. Taking price out of the equation what would you do?

Thanks for any tips.

I saw P3 Pro refurbs for $550 yesterday. Not sure if its against the rules to tell you where so look around the usual net vendors and right now that is the best deal out there. But before I saw that last Saturday I bought a used P3 advanced too with an extra battery and a DJI hardcase for $535. It had 5 hours of flight time. Pristine. I am very happy :)

Reactions: Casey Cassity
I think the Mavics generally a better drone all round, but it it worth the extra price? To me it's not, got a P3A last year and don't regret it :)

I guess it's subjective to requirements... If you want something to carry with you easily and get ok pics. Or if you want specific drone journeys to get good pics. You need to acertain what exactly it is you want it for...

Reactions: SHRED
I guess it's subjective to requirements... If you want something to carry with you easily and get ok pics. Or if you want specific drone journeys to get good pics. You need to acertain what exactly it is you want it for...
We are planning a trip to New Zealand and the Tongan Islands next year.
I'm leaning towards getting the P3A and leaning on it. If I get into this hobby and really want to take a Mavic on the trip I can get one later.

Mavic is the one for travelling with. To take a phantom is as handy as taking a washing up bowl on holiday... you can get good travel cases but by no means are they 'packable'

If your looking for something just to learn control and flight with I'd go the lowest priced route and still get a decent drone.

If it were me and I was planning to upgrade fairly soon (Unless I wanted two higher end birds) I'd start out with the less expensive P3S. It will do all you need to learn without breaking the bank and from what I'm learning is a very capable drone and as said, the price is good at around $450 new.

If your looking for something just to learn control and flight with I'd go the lowest priced route and still get a decent drone.

If it were me and I was planning to upgrade fairly soon (Unless I wanted two higher end birds) I'd start out with the less expensive P3S. It will do all you need to learn without breaking the bank and from what I'm learning is a very capable drone and as said, the price is good at around $450 new.

I have an opportunity to score a P3 Advanced with extra battery and original box for $400. From a friend who has only used it a few times.
I'd be nuts to not jump on that I think.
I can learn on it and if I want to travel then get the Mavic.
That's my latest train of thought.

Reactions: keyguitar99
Probably the wrong thread to ask this question....but for those that own Mavics, do you also have a phantom in your arsenal for things the Mavic might not do well? Or is the Mavic your one and only drone for everything? From my research it, the Mavic is HUGE on portability but the quality of footage slips just a bit from the Phantom camera's. I don't have a deep pocket to have a couple drones but considering selling my P3P for a Mavic for the portability (going on vacation in May).

Reactions: riri00
Mavics are amazing drones, very compact, great camera, light weight and less noisy, the Phantom 3 avdanced drones are great, however DJI is discontinuing that series so I believe it is going to get harder to find parts and accessories for it. I purchased my Mavic from Builtdrones earlier this year, can't complain it has been amazing so far !
You can still get parts for the original Phantom.

I was trying to make this exact same decision. The portability of the Mavic is very attractive. However, it's very windy where I live, so the heavier Phantom may contend with that better. The Mavic has the obstacle avoidance feature, which is nice too. Ultimately I decided the price is just too good on the P3A to pass up. I ordered a few days ago and should receive it later this week. It's my first quad, but I have flown a P3S a few times. I'm really looking forward to getting mine:)

I was trying to make this exact same decision. The portability of the Mavic is very attractive. However, it's very windy where I live, so the heavier Phantom may contend with that better. The Mavic has the obstacle avoidance feature, which is nice too. Ultimately I decided the price is just too good on the P3A to pass up. I ordered a few days ago and should receive it later this week. It's my first quad, but I have flown a P3S a few times. I'm really looking forward to getting mine:)

Makes sure you get a good back-pack incase you travel with it. :)

I definitely will! So, I ordered from Drone Nerds (what they call the official DJI ebay store). I ordered it on Monday and it arrived yesterday. Shipping was super fast and aside from the sticker on the box, I would never know that it wasn't brand new. I flew it a bunch yesterday afternoon and evening and it flies perfectly. I had it out to about 3,000 feet away (in the country, 4 acres). The video is pretty choppy, so I need to shoot in lower resolution. I'll change that next time. I have a pretty good video card, but not quite good enough for full 4k I guess. Overall, I am very pleased. I would order again from Drone Nerds and the refurb is perfectly fine, especially for the money.

I have an opportunity to score a P3 Advanced with extra battery and original box for $400. From a friend who has only used it a few times.
I'd be nuts to not jump on that I think.
I can learn on it and if I want to travel then get the Mavic.
That's my latest train of thought.

For 400 I'd go for that too!

Mavics do very well in the wind.

Cool, that's impressive. I figured Mavics would get blown around because of their relative lack of mass. I'll probably break down and get one eventually, but I've been very pleased with the P3P.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik