Phantom or Naza?

Reaction score
Hi.
Please can someone tell me the difference between the two modes you can have it in? Just want to know the main differences.

Cheers

NAZA is a DJI control system, Phantom is a DJI quadcopter. If I get the drift of what you are asking - Phantom 2 has it's own version of NAZA - Phantom 3 is just a whole custom board, no NAZA control box, it's all on a big board. The difference between Phantom 2 and NAZA in in the firmware in the controller and assistant software as far as I know.... although the NAZA units themselves may be a bit different hardware wise as well (ALthough I think I saw somewhere that people were burning a NAZA lite unit with the NAZA v2 firmware?

Hope this helps

Hi.
Please can someone tell me the difference between the two modes you can have it in? Just want to know the main differences.

Cheers
I think you are asking about the modes the assistant software can be switched in.
Phantom mode is for beginners; less options to modify. Naza mode has more values you can change and offers course lock / home lock modes to fly.

Reactions: Bob Mador
Yeah sorry it was the modes i was asking about... I will have a play with phantom until i have got used to the way it flies then will upgrade to Naza to see that difference. Many thanks

It will fly a bit faster and drift with the wind in naza mode...

Not exactly...
Naza mode allows you to switch out of GPS into Atti or Manual flight modes. These modes have different flight characteristics.

It will not fly faster in the naza mod but being able to use ATTI will allow it to drift with wind until give another command or switched back into GPS.where it will stop and hover.

Not exactly...
Naza mode allows you to switch out of GPS into Atti or Manual flight modes. These modes have different flight characteristics.

Sorry but that's how ATTI works

It will not fly faster in the naza mod but being able to use ATTI will allow it to drift with wind until give another command or switched back into GPS.where it will stop and hover.

Sorry but that's how ATTI works

Atti. mode does increase max tilt angle which increases lateral speeds.

P.S. I don't understand the apology...
But thanks for acknowledging my post.

I went from 27 mph in GPS mode to 46 MPH in naza mode no wind on a calm morning ...

Again it's semantics.

Naza really isn't a Mode just a term used to enable more of the FC's features.

The Flight modes are GPS/Atti. (self-leveling, 3 dimensional stabilizing, X-Y-Z), Atti. (self leveling, 1 dimension stabilizing, Z only) and Manual (NO stabilization).

As mentioned before Atti. allows increased tilt angle responsible for the greater lateral speed you experienced.

I went from 27 mph in GPS mode to 46 MPH in naza mode no wind on a calm morning ...

ATTI will also allow it to drift with the wind in either pitch or roll which can be useful when video taping as there no adjustments until you give it manual command.

Not to argue but Jason said it would not fly faster in naza mode , I believe an incorrect statement...

Not to argue but Jason said it would not fly faster in naza mode , I believe an incorrect statement...

So I made an error on speed but of course i'm not in a hurry when video taping. I do occasionally use ATTI to drift with the wind so as not to have any interruptions from the GPS making corrections. I do find that with the h3-3d gimbal there really hasn't been a need to use ATTI as the gimbal works very well at maintaining stability while taping even in high winds.

I agree with you on that , I mainly use GPS mode to video but when I'm done and want to get back in a hurry atti mode is awsome...

Use NAZA mode as soon as you are comfortable with flying. Here are the two modes of operation that can save you if you get into trouble. Coarse Lock and Home Lock. I fly strictly FPV with goggles, no spotter and at times, no line of sight. If I lose the FPV, get confused, or want to fly directly back home and yaw to shoot footage while flying in a straight line home, I constantly use HOME LOCK. This can save your *** if you get into trouble. Coarse lock sets a grid when starting your flight. When initializing your phantom before takeoff, make note of the direction the craft is facing. This will be the reference direction. The right joystick controls will now fly relative to this coordinate map. You can find video explanations on you tube.

Reactions: Mako79
Use NAZA mode as soon as you are comfortable with flying. Here are the two modes of operation that can save you if you get into trouble. Coarse Lock and Home Lock. I fly strictly FPV with goggles, no spotter and at times, no line of sight. If I lose the FPV, get confused, or want to fly directly back home and yaw to shoot footage while flying in a straight line home, I constantly use HOME LOCK. This can save your *** if you get into trouble. Coarse lock sets a grid when starting your flight. When initializing your phantom before takeoff, make note of the direction the craft is facing. This will be the reference direction. The right joystick controls will now fly relative to this coordinate map. You can find video explanations on you tube.

Do you live in the US??

I switched to NAZA from day 1. Gives you more option for filming.
Atti is good for down wind drifting.
Course lock is good for flying parallel to a road and filming something moving.
Home lock is just good for retrieving your bird if don't know its orientation.

Home lock and course lock simply ignores the phantoms orientation. The phantom will not move in respect to the where the nose is pointing. Course lock moves grid like where as home lock moves in a pizza shape (provided its >10m from home point).

You can also reset course lock directions and home locks in mid flight by toggling the left switch x5 rapidly. Top to mid position x 5 will reset the course lock direction to the direction the phantom is facing. Mid to lower position x 5 will reset a home position. This is where the phantom will fly to when RTH is triggered. The rapid green flashes means either course lock or home lock has changed.

I switched to NAZA from day 1. Gives you more option for filming.
Atti is good for down wind drifting.
Course lock is good for flying parallel to a road and filming something moving.
Home lock is just good for retrieving your bird if don't know its orientation.

Home lock and course lock simply ignores the phantoms orientation. The phantom will not move in respect to the where the nose is pointing. Course lock moves grid like where as home lock moves in a pizza shape (provided its >10m from home point).

You can also reset course lock directions and home locks in mid flight by toggling the left switch x5 rapidly. Top to mid position x 5 will reset the course lock direction to the direction the phantom is facing. Mid to lower position x 5 will reset a home position. This is where the phantom will fly to when RTH is triggered. The rapid green flashes means either course lock or home lock has changed.

So with HOME LOCK, if you stand in one spot the bird will go around you will still shooting you....is that how that works? With COURSE LOCK, forward is forward no matter where the nose is pointing?

I'm still in PHANTOM mode and feel comfortable so am debating on going to NAZA mode but a little hesitant...LOL.

So with HOME LOCK, if you stand in one spot the bird will go around you will still shooting you....is that how that works? With COURSE LOCK, forward is forward no matter where the nose is pointing?

I'm still in PHANTOM mode and feel comfortable so am debating on going to NAZA mode but a little hesitant...LOL.

No to the 'bold' text.

In Home Lock, puling pack on the right stick brings it to you as though you are the hub of a wheel. The flight path of the aircraft is like that of a spoke and the nose or front of the aircraft is unchanged meaning it does not turn or Yaw to face you..

At the risk of further confusion, you must have GPS and be more than 10 meters from Home Point or take-off location for HL to work. It will revert to Course Lock once it is within 10 meters of you.

Your Course Lock understanding is correct.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers