Phantom on a Cruise Ship

Im in the same boat (pun intended) where I hope to bring my Phantom on board a cruise to Bermuda next month. I have absolutely no plan to ever fly it on the ship itself (just asking for trouble there!) but rather fly it on the island at beaches etc. My main concern is getting it aboard the ship itself without it being confiscated for the duration of the journey. There has been a couple of cases I've read where this has happened.

I'm a scuba diver myself so maybe I will disguise the phantom by wrapping my regular and hose around it so that the scanner cant pick out a quadcopter looking shape? I still have to figure it out... I will definitely be bummed if they do indeed confiscate it. :?

Safety on board a cruise ship is paramount and the master of the ship (Captain) is responsible for providing a safe environment for everyone, crew & passengers alike, whether the ship is at sea of berthed. There'd be very little chance any Captain of a cruise ship would allow you to launch it off the ship itself.
I have seen videos of them flying from commercial vessels (like in the videos) but obviously there's not many people around.

well... I didn't buy my phantom to fly it in my back yard. 2 days ago I flew my Phantom through the George washington bridge from NJ side to NYC side!

I plan on flying first asking last!

DrestonF1 said:
I can say that many people are suspicious of technology they don't understand.

You reminded me of the people staring when we went to Iguazu Falls in Argentina/Brazil.

All I had was my Canon compact camera in a small underwater case with some brightly colored buttons. That was only a few years ago, so they weren't exactly a new product. I took it on the boat tour that goes under the falls.

I couldn't imagine the attention I would have received from carrying around a Phantom.

___

Ditto - where's the NY to NJ bridge video?! :cool:

AndysAdventures said:
DrestonF1 said:
I can say that many people are suspicious of technology they don't understand.

You reminded me of the people staring when we went to Iguazu Falls in Argentina/Brazil.

All I had was my Canon compact camera in a small underwater case with some brightly colored buttons. That was only a few years ago, so they weren't exactly a new product. I took it on the boat tour that goes under the falls.

I couldn't imagine the attention I would have received from carrying around a Phantom.

___

Ditto - where's the NY to NJ bridge video?! :cool:

Here ya go... sorry... best I can do with the cops chasing me out and a damaged gimbal... LOL!!!

FLY FIRST ASK QUESTIONS LATER.
http://youtu.be/xJa8UN8VgmQ

I just got back last week from my sailing trip from Grenada to St. Lucia and back. It was very windy the first couple of days and kept the UAV in the case. One evening the winds settled while we were at anchor and I made my move up to the top of the S/V diamant to give her a spin. Did not need to compass calibrate and the P2V+ got a home lock in about 60 seconds while the ship was bobbing.
Took her up and very stable flight capturing the vessel in course lock mode. Also used my GoPro Black to capture the islands and underwater scenes. Here are the results of the edit I did. https://vimeo.com/96442433

Sweet! My vid got mentioned on the second page of this thread. I feel like a minor celebrity. :) I had no problems getting on and off the ship with my Phantom. Foreign Port Security was more interested/exciting about seeing the Phantom. The only time you get scanned is when you re-board the ship by the Cruise security.

Although this was last October, before every other person had a Phantom.

Another note, if I had enough battery life I would have definitely made some laps around the ship, but being the original P1 with gimbal/FPV, you know how that battery life goes. Never took off from a moving ship either, just in case RTH kicked in.

But yes, no problem boarding ship with the Phantom. Port security, no problems. But this was last October before all the drone scare talk by the media.

thongbong said:
Sweet! My vid got mentioned on the second page of this thread. I feel like a minor celebrity. :) I had no problems getting on and off the ship with my Phantom. Foreign Port Security was more interested/exciting about seeing the Phantom. The only time you get scanned is when you re-board the ship by the Cruise security.

Although this was last October, before every other person had a Phantom.

Another note, if I had enough battery life I would have definitely made some laps around the ship, but being the original P1 with gimbal/FPV, you know how that battery life goes. Never took off from a moving ship either, just in case RTH kicked in.

But yes, no problem boarding ship with the Phantom. Port security, no problems. But this was last October before all the drone scare talk by the media.

Most people don't have any clue... it's not as bad. Most people are curious and want to see it fly!

I leave for a cruise this month. Below is the response when I contacted them.

--------------------------
ME:
I create aerial videos with a gopro camera and a 1kg quadracopter (http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2). On an upcoming cruise I plan to take footage of islands we visit and Puerto Rico. Flight would only occur from land and not on the boat. Will I be able to bring the quadracopter thru Royal Caribbean security?

RESPONSE:
We regret to inform you that a quadracopter would not be allowed onboard. Items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are not allowed. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. For further assistance with your reservation, please contact us directly at 1-800-xxx-xxxx. Our Cruise Representatives would be happy to assist with any questions you may have.

Any advice on a response that could lead to me getting the P2 on the islands we are visiting?

Dlandrum said:

ME:
I create aerial videos with a gopro camera and a 1kg quadracopter (http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2). On an upcoming cruise I plan to take footage of islands we visit and Puerto Rico. Flight would only occur from land and not on the boat. Will I be able to bring the quadracopter thru Royal Caribbean security?

RESPONSE:
We regret to inform you that a quadracopter would not be allowed onboard. Items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are not allowed. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. For further assistance with your reservation, please contact us directly at 1-800-xxx-xxxx. Our Cruise Representatives would be happy to assist with any questions you may have.

Any advice on a response that could lead to me getting the P2 on the islands we are visiting?

You could just try bringing it. Got my quad on last year, but that was last year before all the cowboys started taking to the sky's. The worst case scenario is that they confiscate it before boarding your ship and hold it for you until the end of the trip. Just make sure you have a nice strong case for it. Unless they just recently changed the rules to include quadcopter, I'm wonder how many of the security screeners actually will know what it is.

I just got back last week from my sailing trip from Grenada to St. Lucia and back. It was very windy the first couple of days and kept the UAV in the case. One evening the winds settled while we were at anchor and I made my move up to the top of the S/V diamant to give her a spin. Did not need to compass calibrate and the P2V+ got a home lock in about 60 seconds while the ship was bobbing.
Took her up and very stable flight capturing the vessel in course lock mode. Also used my GoPro Black to capture the islands and underwater scenes. Here are the results of the edit I did. https://vimeo.com/96442433

I enjoyed your video very much. That boat is beautiful.

Cheers....

I smell a little self entitlement ;)

But good to know you can take it to other places.

Dlandrum said:

ME:

RESPONSE:

Is it really that big of a deal that you would take the risk of ruining a cruise?

I live 5 minutes from the terminal so if they refuse me I'll just swing back home and drop it off. Not sure what it would interfere with... Flying a quad is probably the least likely thing to get me in trouble on a cruise LOL. Hell maybe bringing the phantom will distract them from the other crap hidden in my bags :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers