Phantom Newbie - Some silly questions

Reaction score
Gents,

I'm a week old phantom owner (I meant I've had the Phantom 2 a week, not that I'm 1 week old! :p), and I'm enjoying it a lot. I had a £40 mini quad before this and it's given me a very good handle on basic flight techniques (something I'd recommend to any potential future Phantom owners!).

Having flown it for a while now I've got a bunch of questions (many of which I can't find answers to using the Search function). Is there a beginners guide/FAQ section where most of these are answered? I'd hate to bombard the forum necessarily.

I'm hoping the answer is yes. However in the meantime I'll ask a couple of questions which I don't think would be answered in any FAQ section.

1) Tonight whilst flying my Phantom the battery got to about mid-way (on the rear of the Phantom the second LED on the battery was flashing with the first showing a solid light). At this point the Phantom was struggling to keep itself off the ground. It seemed to maneuver ok forwards and backwards, but I couldn't get any real elevation. Out of curiosity I hovered 0.5m over grass until the battery drained which took about another 6/7 minutes. I'm surprised that it had enough juice to run that long but not get further up in the air. Any ideas what could have caused this? The battery was fully charged at takeoff.

2) Is it possible to change the colour of the LEDs? I'm colourblind and I'm really struggling to tell when they're flashing green and it's safe to take off. So far I've had to rely on having someone watch over my shoulder and confirm that everything is A-OK before taking off. I'd like to remove this reliance and change the LEDS (or is there a specific pattern of flashes I can look out for?).

3) Ok, this is now more than a couple of questions... I've seen a number of people refer to getting x satellites before takeoff, or landing when they battery is at x%. How do you tell these figures? Is it possible to send this data to an app on a phone or something?

My other questions center around pre-flight checks and battery care (there's another thread with exploding LiPo batteries which has caused me a lot of concern), but I'm sure an FAQ thread would cover most of these.

Many thanks in advance,

In the general forum there are some good Stickies for new pilots.

MajorJump said:
1) Tonight whilst flying my Phantom the battery got to about mid-way (on the rear of the Phantom the second LED on the battery was flashing with the first showing a solid light). At this point the Phantom was struggling to keep itself off the ground. It seemed to maneuver ok forwards and backwards, but I couldn't get any real elevation. Out of curiosity I hovered 0.5m over grass until the battery drained which took about another 6/7 minutes. I'm surprised that it had enough juice to run that long but not get further up in the air. Any ideas what could have caused this? The battery was fully charged at takeoff.
it sounds like your still using software version 3.04 on your Phantom. This brings on the red flashing lights at the rear at 30% battery, then auto-lands at 20% i believe. If you upgrade to software 3.06 the Phantom will automatically return to home once the battery gets to 20% (i'm assuming you've got a P2 with gimbal)

3) Ok, this is now more than a couple of questions... I've seen a number of people refer to getting x satellites before takeoff, or landing when they battery is at x%. How do you tell these figures? Is it possible to send this data to an app on a phone or something?
as your not using an iPhone/app i'm guessing you've got a P2 with gimbal/GoPro. P2 Vision/Vision+ shows all this info within the app straight from the box. To see this information on a P2 with gimbal you need a fpv kit (first person view) ie a monitor. radio transmitter & the mini iOSD unit which will then show all the info on the monitor/googles

Regarding 1) = that is unusual behavior. What firmware version are you on?
Auto land doesn't begin until 15% battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4