Phantom newbie : ATTI mode indoors drift when hovering

Reaction score
Hi,
Recently bought a Phantom 4, my first ever drone, and straightaway tried it indoors in my hall.
The first attempt it flew like a charm. Well not exactly flew, but hovered, rotated and moved sideways, back on forth on command very very obediently. Used the Take off feature and Land fearure in the DJI Go app. This was ATTI mode as I read somewhere not to use GPS indoors as it may cause swaying. I am not too sure but it callibrated okay as well with the back lights flickering green.

But in my subsequent attempts, I haven't been able to callibrate successfully and it says there is high interference. But I still started the motors and took off vertically using the remote. I just took it like a feet or two above the ground. But it did not stay in one place and started drifting towards the back and left. ATTI mode again, back lights flickering red this time perhaps because calliberation wasn't successful. Movements using the remote responded okay although I was just doing tiny movements.

Is the drift normal?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

But in my subsequent attempts, I haven't been able to callibrate successfully and it says there is high interference. But I still started the motors and took off vertically using the remote. I just took it like a feet or two above the ground. But it did not stay in one place and started drifting towards the back and left. ATTI mode again, back lights flickering red this time perhaps because calliberation wasn't successful. Movements using the remote responded okay although I was just doing tiny movements.

Is the drift normal?
Drift is very normal in atti mode and more so if you are indoors with the propwash swirling around.
In atti mode the Phantom will hold height but not position unless you are using the VPS and the floor is well lit and has a distinct surface pattern.

Indoors is not a very good place to start flying.
Outdoors in a large open area with no obstacles would be a lot better.
Don't attempt to calibrate your compass indoors - there is too much interference.

Reactions: SirAchie
In atti mode the Phantom will hold height but not position unless you are using the VPS
While you cannot turn off VPS, it's not used to hold the position when flying in ATTI mode.

Flying indoors is a recipe for disaster. Don't risk your $1400+ investment. Go outside in a relatively wide open space.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I didn't fly indoors until I had many hours of Phantom time along with many more with the X5C. You can crash into walls and live to fly another day with the Syma.

Have never flown inside with a Phantom, let alone inside my house.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj