Phantom Newb Questions

Reaction score
I am looking at getting my first phantom here soon in the next week or so. Is there anything I should know about them before I purchase?

I know theres the Phantom and Phantom Vision. I am going to just go with the Phantom as the new Vision package doesnt really have any additional features that I absolutely have to have.

I ultimately want to run a brushless gimble with tilt control and possibly get one of those water resistant body housings as I would be using it a lot for shots over bodies of water.

Is there any minor version changes of the regular phantom? IE more channels added for gimbles? or do they all have the needed extra channel for the gimble?

Where do you guys suggest to get my phantom from? what gimble should I go with? Looking for a tough/waterproof case for it as well.

been reading a lot but have a few unanswered questions. I'd rather not assume then get something that isnt 100% what I want.

Check out the videos I have done so far. A phantom would be a perfect addition to some great shots. www.SCJB.tv

OI Photography said:
If you're going to go with the original Phantom, there's an EXCELLENT condition used one available, with some extras you might have been considering, at a great price: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4645

that does seem like a great deal, but it doesnt come with a transmitter. from what little research I did, looks like they run about $200 ??

can anyone answer my other questions? is there any revisions made in the phantom? or are they all the same?

Welcome!

You will potentially receive as many different opinions about this as there are Phantom Pilots... But my 2c:

Where to Buy: Amazon

All the same: I'm honestly not sure. Newer is better in my book so V1.2 I think is the newest? I'm not sure if you find a smoking deal on a V1.0 that you can't upgrade it via firmware or whatever. I'm sure somebody will come along with more info.

Gimbal: Again, varied responses incoming. I just bought and installed a GoodLuckBuy gimbal for $90. It works great. You can spend hundreds on other fancier gimbals. I am perfectly happy with mine although I have the patience and technical saavy to figure out how to install it without definitive directions. That's what these forums are for! ;) I believe any version of Phantom is gimbal-ready (7th channel capable for tilting the camera up/down), you just need to activate it via the Naza software, no biggie.

Water-tight: No clue here, sorry.

Hope this helps if even a little.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic