Phantom Motor Problems.

Reaction score
So I have had my phantom for about a month now and I haven't really had to many problems. Yesterday I flew on a battery and was a great flight, but when I put the next battery in, one of the motors was all jittery and not spinning fast. I also noticed that the red lights for that arm were not on. I took it apart and there was nothing wrong with it to what I could see. I am really confused because I didn't crash it or do anything and the motor won't spin properly. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. The first day I had my phantom it did this same thing, but I found an extra E-clip inside on of the motors stuck to the magnets. I don't know if did anything to the motor or even if it was the motor that is bad, but just thought i would share that!

Hi

The symptoms you describe are indicative of a voltage path failure to the motor.
The ESC converts the dc voltage from the battery to a three phase ac voltage required for the motor to rotate.
The motor is connected to the ESC via three short wires, if the path along any of these wires is interrupted then only two of these three phases voltages reaches the motor and you end up with the symptoms you describe.

Look closely at the points where the motor connects to the ESC for any cracks or breakages. If everything is in order there then the problem maybe a failed connection at the point where the wires connect to the motor or a failed ESC.

I had this problem last week and it was due to a broken connection where the wires connect to the motor and it needed replacing.
This wasn't an inflight failure but was due to my clumsiness when I was changing a noisy bearing in the motor and I accidently broke a wire of the bottom of the motor :(

Regards

Nidge

That c clip holds the armature in the motor housing, there should also be a small brass spacer under the c clip. If that brass spacer is missing the motor will run erratic. I don't think you would be able to take off like that and is probably not the issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31