Phantom Motor Failing

Reaction score
I posted a few weeks ago about my Phantom starting to shiver like it was cold when you first take off. That problem got a bit worse yesterday (Jan, 26). While flying in a confined area it was quite challenging to control the position of the craft. I had good GPS lock. I could fly it but the craft just didn't fly right. When flying straight in GPS mode it would suddenly pitch left or right a bit. It would recover but that would put the machine left or right of its course. This was a bit problematic since I was tracking an actor running down a street. We finally got the shots we needed though.

I noticed when spinning up the rotors that one was lagging behind the others. It looks like that motor was also along the axis of the shiver. With the machine sitting on the ground I turned each motor by hand to check their "feel". I discovered that the lagging motor turned with a noticeably more notchy feel than the other three. It isn't a bearing problem. It feels more like a magnet-to-rotor clearance issue. I checked the axial play to make sure a clip hadn't come off and there was none.

The machine would still fly but it didn't fly happy. The bees didn't sound in sync if you know what I mean. Even though I'm flying with a GoPro, iOSD, and AVL58 the machines CG is well balanced.

Anyway, I am offering the info to the collective in hopes that it will give you something to watch for with your machines. This kind of issue could be contributory to a fly-away (my opinion) if as is suspected that a sensor input overload can cause some kind of a software crash/corruption in the NAZA.

On the plus side this was caught before it caused a crash or fly-away and B&H is replacing the craft for me. Kudos to B&H for great customer service.

Sounds like you have a motor going bad. I would suspect the bearings or some foreign object in the motor. Glad to hear you are getting some service from B&H. Just curious, what is their replacement policy and turn-around time? Also, how long have you had the Phantom?

I've had mine about two week before the retainer clip on the bottom of one motor came loose and lodged inside the motor. My dealer was not so helpful. They wanted to ship it back to the factory and have me pay for shipping, with no guarantee on whether it would be under warrantee nor any idea on turn-around time. :(

There isn't any foreign material in the motor. Checked that already. This one has not been crashed nor has it touched anything in flight. The hardest bump it has taken is me sitting it into its case. I checked the motor bearings and they are good. The problem is with the rotor clearance with the magnets.

I'm expecting the entire process to take about 2 weeks. B&H even picked up the shipping by providing a shipping label for USP Ground.

I just had a motor quit on my P2. I had just done a short hover in my living room (it's been way too cold outside to fly.) Landed, powered down via joysticks, then went to restart and one motor wouldn't spin. It only kind of twitched spastically. It spins by hand the same as the others. Don't know what went wrong but I'm very glad it didn't happen while it was in the air. I also bought from B&H and their customer service really is superlative.

Eos630 said:
I just had a motor quit on my P2. I had just done a short hover in my living room (it's been way too cold outside to fly.) Landed, powered down via joysticks, then went to restart and one motor wouldn't spin. It only kind of twitched spastically. It spins by hand the same as the others. Don't know what went wrong but I'm very glad it didn't happen while it was in the air. I also bought from B&H and their customer service really is superlative.

That sounds more like it is an ESC failure.

Do you or did you have the prop guards on the bird?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers