Phantom making strange whistling noise & Bee attack video

Reaction score
So for the past month or two the Phantom has been making an annoying whistling noise.
First I think it was the gimbal motor protector, then I thought it was the CF camera guard.. So took off both and it still makes the noise. When you make a movement it sometimes goes away then comes back..

I made a video of it.. if you listen closely you will hear it.
The gimbal motor protector is on in the video, but I had taken it off the in past and it made no diff so I put it back on. The camera guard is off however.

I have 2312 motors installed, but it was doing it before they were put on. I'm thinking maybe it has to do with the 9450 props pushing away through the vents ?
I need to actually try with stock props.

But has anyone seen anything like it ? or have any idea ? I don't have any wierd other things attached that could be doing it, and everything seems to working perfectly.

I can't seem to embed it, so click on the link below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lURJQ1X3Fvcp

Its my first ever youtube video :]

Lol here is a swarm of bee's attacking as well.. Took me 15 mins to clean all the guts off the Quad when I got back.. disgusting...
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjM-Gmi_MVk[/youtube]

Re: Phantom making strange whistling noise & Bee attack vide

No one have any ideas what could be causing the whistle ??
Sounds like its air getting pushed, somewhere ?

I can't really hear it?

Cool bee attack video though

if you think it might be air blowing past or through the vents, just make a short flight with masking tape over them to see.

I've experienced the same whistle with both stock props, and the 9450's. The sound comes and goes on mine, but found it is less noticeable when I lubricate the bushings on each of the motors. You can give that a try. Let us know if you find any substantial decrease in sound.

I also have the whistling sound, I believe the wind has something to do with it.

Skynet1 said:
I've experienced the same whistle with both stock props, and the 9450's. The sound comes and goes on mine, but found it is less noticeable when I lubricate the bushings on each of the motors. You can give that a try. Let us know if you find any substantial decrease in sound.

This...to me it sounds more like metal on metal than a whistling noise....

mede8er said:
Skynet1 said:

This...to me it sounds more like metal on metal than a whistling noise....

It very well may be, which may explain why it diminishes when lubricant is applied to the bushings, not sure.
What I do know is that the motors run cool even after a long flight, and it has been that way for the last 8 months.
I will continue to monitor the quad to see if the sound gets louder, and hope it nothing all that serious. :)

I have the same exact issue. Anyone find a fix? What is the easiest way to lubricate the P2 motors?

What is the BEST way to lubricate the motors?
And what do you use to lubricate them with?
mineral oil?
axle grease?

I wouldn't call that a whistle. That sounds like a metal on metal bearing noise to me.
Be careful!

You guys hearing is better than mine. Sounded like a normal Phantom flying to me. Try changeling the props and see if what you hear changes too.

I hate to say, but sounds like a mechanical issue in bearings to me as well. After flying, does one motor (or more) feel hotter than the others? That may offer a clue...

It's been said here many times that the bearings are sealed.
I've never looked myself but I too have the whistle occasionally. Never any motor temp. differences.

Mine also whistles and has whistled since the first flight in May 2014. Although only when I stop quickly, not quite as often as yours. And mine whistles way louder but less often than yours as far as I can tell from your video. Mine has stock v2 motors and props.

Hmm...
but strange it did it with stock motors and brand new 2312 motors...for me.

I was thinking it was due to some small 'air holes' i accidentally made with soldering iron when I originally installed 2312 motors, then put stock back on while the ESC issue was sorted...

I don't really notice it as much now....now its just the battery warnings due to 2312s/old batteries (150+ charges on each) I worry about.

Am in the USA on holiday for last 3 weeks so havnt been online much....but I suspect very soon, if not already heaps of V3 owners will.be reporting same issue.... as has been the case with alot of non v3 owners with 2312s/older batteries a few months ago...

Might not get to fly for a while to.....apparantly record breaking coldness in Aus atm lol... here I was thinking bloody hawaii is to hot.....

I can confirm it is not the motors or the air vents. I OCD, so I replaced all motors. Additionally, I temporarily taped closed the air vents near the motors. Still the same whistle. Other forums say it's the ESC switching power, but I think I don't think I'll replace those just yet.

Why do you feel they need replacement?

It's probably harmonics of some kind.

Some forums mention the possibility of bad bearings and my Phantom was used, so it was more peace of mind than anything. After some research, a lot of car guys using brushless motors have a lot of posts about esc noise. Apparently it's just something that happens with brushless motors when the escs switch frequencies.

Correct.

Post-flight outrunner temps can help ID bearing issues. Bearings are sealed so lube won't help and since many hear it it's likely yours is no different. Mine P2 NV has been flying for 15 mos. with no issues or temp differences.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1