Phantom making high pitched noise

Reaction score
I have run my phantom about 8 hours now, and there is a high pitched noise coming from it. I suspect one of the motors. Any one with a similiar experience?

If so is there a rememdy? Can a light oil or some cleaning fluid be used to fix this?

Can I take the motors apart to maybe clean?

I also just purchases the x2 phantomount and as soon as I attached it the minimal jello effect disappeared. Now it is back worse

But the blades have taken a beating. But the last time I used the phantom there was no jello. Next day it is jelloing out. No further wear on the blades since the last use, so I don't think it is the blades. Any suggestion?

xstatic said:
I have run my phantom about 8 hours now, and there is a high pitched noise coming from it. I suspect one of the motors. Any one with a similiar experience?

If so is there a rememdy? Can a light oil or some cleaning fluid be used to fix this?

Can I take the motors apart to maybe clean?

I also just purchases the x2 phantomount and as soon as I attached it the minimal jello effect disappeared. Now it is back worse

But the blades have taken a beating. But the last time I used the phantom there was no jello. Next day it is jelloing out. No further wear on the blades since the last use, so I don't think it is the blades. Any suggestion?

I can't speak to the high pitched noise, but blade balance is extremely important when it comes to the jello effect. I would definitely recommend purchasing a blade balancer. It's well worth the investment!

Best regards,

Todd

A bad prop or motor will cause vibrations that will lead to more jello, a bad bearing couod cause your sound or some damage to the motor may have taken it well out of balance that couod also cause issue.

If your jello is better or worse on some flights even with the noise then this is likely just the light you are flying in. The gopro will show more jello in bright light with very high shutter speeds the best way to deal with is use nd fikters when its bright. I use the Snake river prototyping blurfix3 adapter and nd filters for pretty good results in any light if using the right filter. There is a version that clips over the housing and also another that you can use with a naked camera in the frame. Using the naked camera I always use the adapter in each flight to give the gopro lens some protection along with reduced jello.

Hello

I also noticed a high pitched noise coming from motors and was wondering the same thing so I went back to the dji tutorial videos and Collins phantom makes the same noise. I've been flying it now for a couple of months with no motor issues, but its always a good idea to feel your motors after a flight to see if they're producing excessive heat.

Are you useing stock phantom blades? If so you might want to try some carbon fiber blades and you also want to learn how to balance a blade. I'm new at this and was suckered into an eBay listing for balanced carbon fiber props. Installed them and there was no difference in video quality (although there was a marked improvement in hard cornering). I then popped the $12 for a magnetic prop balancer and some sandpaper, watched some instructional videos and WOW. Watching the videos it's incredible the difference. Very, very little jello and all I have between the stock gopro mount and body are ear plugs.

I don't oil. Im under the opinion that oiling will just make more dust and dirt stick in the motor and cause more mantainance issues. Opinion, not fact. I will hit it with some compressed air every couple weeks.

I feel relieved about the noise so thanks for that. I will go to home depot and get the puncher so I will be able to balance the motor. I saw a video that uses the center of the punch which you take apart, to attach to the center of the motor for balancing. I have stock blades that I balanced already. I even have the other new unused set from my phantom that came with it, so after I balance the motor I may try that too.

With prop balancer have a look at the Dubro if you dont have it already its only a few dollars more then the cheaper ones. I have heard some of those cheap magnetic balancer's are pretty out of balance themselves. This will give you very little hope of actually balancing a prop on something that is out of balance itself.

I have the Dubro. It seems pretty reliable. The others really got bad reviews and don't seem to have accuracy. I read the reviews on Amazon, best place to check b4s you buy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers