Phantom Lunging Forward At Takeoff

Reaction score
The other day I had small crash (less than 5 feet in the air) and the phantom vision hit the sidewalk and flipped upside down, broke a propeller blade and somehow the battery slipped out (I snap it in very well every time, I think the 2 clips to hold it in are not enough for a crash).

I replaced the propeller and put a freshly charged battery in, did all the pre-flight checks and waited for it to acquire at least 8 satellites (it grabbed 9), initiated a CSC to start up the motors, went to take off slowly. Instead of taking off level like it usually does it was starting to lunge forward so I stopped the motors, powered off, powered back on and went through all the normal pre-flight again and it did the same thing when I tried to take off.

Does anyone have any information on why it would do this? I read something about how the GPS could be messed up, but that was someone who wasn't able to acquire satellites. My Phantom acquires satellites and acts completely normal in that regard.

Is this a case of having to re-calibrate the compass since it crashed? I obviously calibrated before my first flight (was extremely careful and drove out to a farm field with my son to make sure there would be no interference), but I have not re-calibrated since the small crash because I have drive a ways to get to a good area.

Like I said, the crash was from less than 5 feet and there aren't even any real scratches anywhere. I did notice a scuff on the compass metal though. I panicked as the battery was at 20 percent and the Phantom was starting to drop in altitude so I was trying to fly it to a good landing spot and that's when it all went south for me.

If anyone could shed some light on what they think it might be, things to try or things to look for it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

btothemalm

iResq said:
I'd try an IMU advanced calibration.

I have not done one of these before. Is this an automated calibration or is there instructions somewhere for how to use this?

Attach to computer. Launch assist. Advanced. IMU calibration. Something like that. I got a temperature warning that others have said to ignore. It takes a couple of minutes.

iResq said:
Attach to computer. Launch assist. Advanced. IMU calibration. Something like that. I got a temperature warning that others have said to ignore. It takes a couple of minutes.

Roger, will give it a go tonight.

Thank you very much for your help!

iResq said:

So, last night I ran the "Advanced IMU Calibration", then drove out to a large field to do a compass calibration.

It did tip over once but after that the take-off's have been consistantly good. It drifts around a lot more than it did before and since it was dark I was able to better see the status lights on the bottom.

I started noticing the green lights would blink RED 3 times very often while doing my small test flights. Even after several reboots and more test flights the green lights would blink RED 3 times multiple times while flying. The manual says this is a "Not Stationary or Sensor Bias is too big" error and that I should perform an IMU Calibration. I am thinking there is something wrong with this bird.

I just don't get it, it fell from about 5 feet. I have read accounts of people getting them hung up in trees and then falling to the ground and many more severe falls.

Does anyone have any other troubleshooting I can try based on my "Not Stationary or Sensor Bias is too big" message?

Thanks for all your assistance.

Regards,
btothemalm

iResq said:
If your in warranty, I'd contact seller.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Copy that! I just really wanted to see if I could get it going again without having to contact a dealer. It should really be able to handle a fall of more than 5 feet IMHO.

Thanks again!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20