Phantom Loss of Control / CSC - There When You Need It.

Wow .. just took a look at that, its a phantom blackbox without the CVR voice recorder..
Thanks Scotty, I have something new to play with ..

Reactions: ScottyT
Sorry to see what happened to your bird. I've read so many stories about uncontrolled behavior using the auto-takeoff that I refuse to even try it.

I'm confused, and not making light of the subject, but if the bird is not responding to tx commands. How is it possible to initiate CSC.

I can't say for sure but how about this?...

The 'system' is receiving the command(s) but the FC, due to malfuction, s/w bug, whatever, is overriding the input due to, we'll say, IMU or other sensor data.

The CSC command is also received but it is of a different priority or interrupt, possibly a lower level instruction, and thus it is executed.

Just a hypothesis. ;)

This is disconcerting to say the least. I've had 51 flawless flights with the P3 except for the time I took off from my driveway and got a compass error. Most likely rebar.

But to have the bird not respond in both P and Atti mode is downright scary.

This is disconcerting to say the least. I've had 51 flawless flights with the P3 except for the time I took off from my driveway and got a compass error. Most likely rebar.

But to have the bird not respond in both P and Atti mode is downright scary.
I want to hear more about the driveway incident... as much as possible.

I had a flyaway with my P2 after taking off from a parking lot.

I had been launching my P2 from the driveway without any incidents for many months. The first day I got the P3 it took off from the driveway and in seconds threw a compass error losing all GPS. I don't think it tried to fly away, but rather got caught in some wind gusts.

I landed, reset the power, re-calibrated the compass and had a normal flight from the driveway. But when it happened a second time on the 3rd flight or so, I started launching from my lawn (on a plastic step stool). Never had the compass error again. I believe the P3 is much more sensitive to magnetic disturbance. That's why I don't re-calibrate every flight nor do I with firmware upgrades. That being said, the P2 compass can also be affected by magnetic fields it's just not as sensitive. So it pays to check your surroundings. i have an iOS app that I use.

Where is the flight data prior to dropping from the sky? Do you need help with how to obtain it? Let me know.

Have sent mine in after I opened it to check the internals. No problems with DJI hollering the warranty was voided. I'd give it a try. If your really that worried you can by replacment sticker to go around the arms. Sent mine in where I had cut them with a razor blade. No issues.

Common to these crashes and weird moments is the latest firmware! 1.2.6

If you don't upgrade to latest... They will invalidate yr warranty in case u get accident.
If you upgrade and got included in the crash statistics, as most people posted here......Send it in for 6 weeks..

I am actually still in 1.1.9 and have no issue...

I really dont know if i need to upgrade..

Just an update for record keeping (if anybody is interested).

My discussions with DJI Technical Support (Ms Zhang) has been productive, but we've hit a sticky point right now regarding the aircraft's .DAT log files.

After the incident, I discharged my three Phantom 3 batteries back in the hotel room (turned the Phantom 3 on, but did not engage motors). I discharged the batteries to 50-60% storage levels as I was boarding a commercial aircraft the next day.

The batteries took a cumulative 5-6 hours to discharge to storage levels, which unknown to me at the time erased my aircraft's flight logs. I did not realise that the aircraft logs are created upon power up. The logging storage capacity in the aircraft allows around 4 hours of logging. If it is powered on for more than that then the flight records are overwritten.

I have sent DJI the aircraft flight logs that I was able to obtain (but this does not contain the flight data) and my iPad's flight logs (which are created upon motor start).

DJI have said that the aircraft flight data are not correct (not surprising). It is likely that a full replacement from DJI is very unlikely, I've pretty much budgeted another AUD$2000 for a replacement unit. Just waiting to hear from DJI on any news.

Conclusion: In the event of a crash, you must extract the aircraft logs As Soon As Possible. Do not allow the logger to overwrite the flight data.

Update (28 July 2015)

After several rounds of emails to Ms Zhang as to why my aircraft's logs weren't correct (as explained previously), it appears that DJI has accepted that the Phantom was not behaving correct based off my iPad log.

Good news today is that DJI are offering to repair the Phantom 3 for free!

I have sent off the serial number and will hear back...

DJI_Email_2015_07_28.png

I really feel for this guy.....Ive been flying everything under the sun for 30 years. mechanical failures are not "common" for flying anything other than drones. You don't hear of too many stories of servos crapping out or receivers going bad.....most all crashes are in fact user error. Im not saying that there isn't user error with these drones but it seems most peoples first reaction is to claim "user error" One needs to know that with the complexity of these things incorporating GPS etc. there are going to be failures. Failures to the point of close to 10%. You can have tens or hundreds of good flights and the very next one bites you in the aspirin. There have been all sorts of speculation i.e. shifting into atti, to regain control but they still do fly away on their own at times. I commend DJI and other companies trying to put in some safeguards but they still do get away from seasoned pilots. This is why I refused to buy a 3000.00 inspire because they too fly away. You can do all the pre checking you want and follow all the distance to wifi etc. you want, but in the end theres always a chance (not remote) that these will take on a mind of their own. Knowing this do the right thing and anticipate that if one does take off that you pose no threat to anyone around period. NO stupid flying over people and keep a decent distance above whatever your filming in case it takes off sideways. You cant prevent an electronic malfunction but you sure as heck can prevent a very likely injury if a runaway drone hits someone. These props on 4s power can cut bone and slice skin as if it were butter. They can kill. Im sorry for your loss and hope that more people understand the pitfalls and dangers of operating these types of craft.

Reactions: HunterSK
Update (13 August 2015)

DJI have come back with an RMA request after their last email. They are offering a free repair. I have shipped the Phantom 3 Pro at my expense via express courier service, and it is now in DJI's hands in Hong Kong. Waiting to hear on further updates.

Reactions: bobmyers
Hi HunterSK sorry to hear about ur bird I'm curious if you were in auto mode or manual with rc channels? I'm pretty new at this but have been feverishly reading posts and watching YouTube trying to catch up in Knowledgebase. Glad to hear you finally received an RMA.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj