Phantom Loss of Control / CSC - There When You Need It.

Reaction score
On 15 July, I unfortunately experienced an unresponsive Phantom 3 Pro shortly after take off. It was not responding to my commands and I could not pull it back, so I decided that I would shut off the motors before it flew over cars and property and became potentially unsafe.

I’m visiting Dubai for a few days on my way back to Australia and would rather shut off my Phantom’s motors mid-flight and recover the aircraft rather than risk injury or property damage. The aircraft was in GPS-ATTI mode the whole time, it was not in IOC. It was apparent that after take off, it was not being responsive to my controls.

I could of tried switching to ATTI or initiate Fly Back Home, but I only had a couple of seconds and made a split decision to shut off motors (the safest option).

My Phantom 3 has logged over 10 hours and 68 flights. Before this I flown the Phantom 2 with over 200 flights, so I’m not new to this.

I wanted to make this public to see if anyone could offer some suggestions on a root cause.

My iPad’s log file has been extracted (links below). However I’m tempted to open up the Phantom 3 to get access to the SD card to extract the onboard aircraft data. I have tried plugging in a USB cable into the aircraft and I do not see the aircraft showing up on my Mac. I’m aware that if I open up the Phantom, it will void DJI’s warranty.

I have contacted DJI and trying to get a letter with some basic details to send to my insurance company. I got my first response a few minutes ago and it is clear that this may be a struggle to get an official letter. DJI have not issued a RMA yet, I’ve requested it.

I’m happy to answer any questions. Here are the fine details describing what I did and observed:

My pre-flight check included (among other things):

1. Checked to see that the gyroscope sensor’s mod was at zero. Acceleration sensor mod was at 1.00. Compass sensor mod values were between 1500 and 1600. IMU and Compass values were normal.

2. VPS was turned off.

3. 18 satellites were picked up, and the green Safe to Fly Status was on.

Once the pre-fight check list was done, I then proceeded to launch.

1. Take off was by Auto-lift off

2. Within a few seconds of launch I noticed that the aircraft was not behaving normally based on my commands. Specifically my yaw, pitch and roll commands did not seem to have much effect. Aircraft was now at around 12 metres in height.

3. I let go of the sticks, and see that the aircraft was still moving. This was in Position GPS mode, not normal behaviour, but I’m well versed in ATTI mode so no problem.

4. I then proceeded to manually correct as you would normally do in ATTI mode.

5. Correction had no effect.

6. The aircraft was now moving away from me at increasing speed and was heading to the cars and houses nearby.

7. At this point I decided to do a CSC (Combination Stick Command) to shut off motors, effectively telling the Phantom to commit suicide.

8. As the aircraft fell I did a second CSC to re-engage the motors to soften the landing. A seperate log file was created but it’s only a few seconds long, as the aircraft had impacted the ground.

My log file extracted from my iPad:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/azuade4e3r4dzlz/DJIFlightRecord_2015-07-15_[18-31-19].txt?dl=1

For convienience here is the CSV comprehensive file (using http://www.djilogs.com)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/my85987xl...5-07-15_[18-31-19].txt.Comprehensive.csv?dl=1

P3-1.jpg

P3-2.jpg

P3-3.jpg

Last edited:
These things drive me crazy. Not responsive to controls but yet CSC control worked. Sorry for your crash, doesn't look nice and the camera looks as to be badly damaged. when you flipped from GPS to atti mode did you get any response, I understand this was split second decisions. The plus side you impacted sand and not cement. Hope you figure what went wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottyT
The exact same thing happened to me on the 14th of july.
The P3 was calibrated , P MODE, shortly after take off the aircraft started flying away,
in a strange way it was changing altitude and headings by itself,, I went manual ATTI Mode, no improvement, I tried GO HOme, no changes until it crashed on the beach, P3 destroyed. Im a Ex P2 Vision Flyer, I flew for 6 months with no crashes, I just bought the P3 5 days ago.

Reactions: HunterSK
AngelPilot4u, I'm sorry to hear that.

Have you contacted DJI? I'm talking with Sophie Zhang and sending her all of the info she has asked for. Uploading around 3GB of aircraft flight log data. I have no idea what DJI will do, but I hope they will find it not to be pilot error.

I've had 68 successful flights over a period of 90 days, and my Phantom 3 Pro has been perfect.

Hi Scotty, I saw your question previously and updated my original post, sorry for not answering it before.

Mine was the latest Phantom 3 Professional Firmware v1.2.6. The DJI iOS (v1.2.0) reported it to be the latest.

My firmware was up to date, HunterSK, I live in Indonesia, I just did not beleive DJI would do anything about it, I did not contact them I opened up the Phantom though, GPS smashed inside, the camera gimbal destroyed, after cleaning up it flies OK with no more GPS signal and no camera. Thats a big financial loss, it's the worst feeling, I don't see what I could have done differently for this not to happen.

My firmware was up to date, HunterSK, I live in Indonesia, I just did not beleive DJI would do anything about it, I did not contact them I opened up the Phantom though, GPS smashed inside, the camera gimbal destroyed, after cleaning up it flies OK with no more GPS signal and no camera. Thats a big financial loss, it's the worst feeling, I don't see what I could have done differently for this not to happen.
I use IPad Air 2 / IOS 1.2.0 / Firmware v1.2.6

Yeah I know the feeling! I remember telling my friends who want to buy a Phantom (or any other aerial camera) to never buy it unless your prepared to accept it not coming back in one piece.

I'm just glad I didn't smash up a local's Ferrari while in Dubai, it's just a couple thousand dollars of camera drone equipment. But it really sucks for me personally. I'm not blaming anyone, its the reality that right now the technology is simply not as reliable as us buying a car from your dealership (or even a manned airplane!).

Reactions: Goldni
The exact same thing happened to me on the 14th of july.
The P3 was calibrated , P MODE, shortly after take off the aircraft started flying away,
in a strange way it was changing altitude and headings by itself,, I went manual ATTI Mode, no improvement, I tried GO HOme, no changes until it crashed on the beach, P3 destroyed. Im a Ex P2 Vision Flyer, I flew for 6 months with no crashes, I just bought the P3 5 days ago.

I have no words. If you open it it will void warranty. The SD card is in the battery as far as I know. Check it out. I do not think there is smth inside. Sorry man for your loss. Spam Tahoe-Ed and spam him really hard.

Reactions: ScottyT
I have no words. If you open it it will void warranty. The SD card is in the battery as far as I know. Check it out. I do not think there is smth inside. Sorry man for your loss. Spam Tahoe-Ed and spam him really hard.

I thought about the warranty, but I thought, I crashed who was going to beleive that I had nothing to do with it when I was holding the remote, such an unheard story., In indonesia if you crash for whatever reason there are no warranty. The only thing I could do is open a bottle of champagne and enjoy it with my friends not to have a completely crapy day. Don't know what to do next, love to fly the Phantom Pro, but the problem looks a lot like the initial Inspire 1 firmware problems.
I fly real airplane, I was just happy I was not seating in this one.

I thought about the warranty, but I thought, I crashed who was going to beleive that I had nothing to do with it when I was holding the remote, such an unheard story., In indonesia if you crash for whatever reason there are no warranty. The only thing I could do is open a bottle of champagne and enjoy it with my friends not to have a completely crapy day. Don't know what to do next, love to fly the Phantom Pro, but the problem looks a lot like the initial Inspire 1 firmware problems.

Chers AngelPilot4U. On tonight's flight I'll drink to that.

I'm flying for 12.5 hours tonight from Dubai to Australia on a Boeing 777-300ER. I just hope the pilot's control don't become unresponsive during flight! Maybe I'll ask them how well the aircraft's firmware is going? :)

I am cooperating with DJI and provide them everything they ask for. I'll see what happens...

Reactions: rawd
HunterSK, the triple 7 is a great aircraft, not so much loaded with computers as its airbus counterparts, have a nice flight. if you ever go to Bali give me a buzz, we can fly our crippled P3s together. ;-)
my Whatsapp +628994195596 Philippe BBM 530223C0
Have a safe flight.

HunterSK, the triple 7 is a great aircraft, not so much loaded with computers as its airbus counterparts, have a nice flight. if you ever go to Bali give me a buzz, we can fly our crippled P3s together. ;-)
my Whatsapp +628994195596 Philippe BBM 530223C0
Have a safe flight.

Thanks man! I'll your details handy in case I come over. Hopefully we'll have new more reliable drones by then.

Indonesia is Australia's biggest and closest neighbour after all. Terbang aman dan nyenyak !

You could have exported the logs for DJI to review - previous posters have said they had their P3's replaced on review of the logs when it was deemed not to be the fault of the user . Probably not an option now you've opened it up.

You could have exported the logs for DJI to review - previous posters have said they had their P3's replaced on review of the logs when it was deemed not to be the fault of the user . Probably not an option now you've opened it up.
Thanks scotty, to be honest I didn't think of that, but now that you talk about it, I can still do that for the next guy, I'll try to dig the file out, I never did that before.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl