Phantom Long range flight - Whats up with later firmware

Reaction score
Hi

I regularly read in the forums that if you want to fly long range you must use older firmware (1.08). Why is that ?

I do not have any amps, only Horizon FPV antennas, and I just flew out to 2.2 miles with the latest firmware, so I am intrigued, what am I missing.

GM

Goldmagnet said:
Hi

I regularly read in the forums that if you want to fly long range you must use older firmware (1.08). Why is that ?

I do not have any amps, only Horizon FPV antennas, and I just flew out to 2.2 miles with the latest firmware, so I am intrigued, what am I missing.

GM
1.08 is about speed when u go for 4-6 km flights then u need that speed to come back but once again it depends on the wind speed in ur oart of town. Just curious what kit are u using cause my fpv drops out with 4500 feet altitude 500 feet i have the single extreme jit from horizon

Goldmagnet said:
Hi

I am using Horizon FPV antennas (no amplifiers), I am pretty impressed by them.

I flew out to 11650 feet at a height of 300 ft.

GM

Yes, an epic flight to be sure, Goldmagnet.

You had the advantage of transmitting from an elevated position with clear line-of-sight, no trees and it also looks like you were in an area with little or no radio interference.

Hi Geert

We have very similar setups, and similar results.

I don't like the idea of using older firmware, as time goes on it will only become less compatible. I am going to stick with the latest firmware version as there seems little benefit of staying with the older firmware. Thanks for doing the test, its really helped me make up my mind.

Was 2.1 miles your limit, did RTH kick in ?

GM

Its the descent speed in 1.08 that is required when going for distance.
When battery is low, 2ms descent in the 3.00+ firmware is daunting.

Geert said:
Mako79 said:
Its the descent speed in 1.08 that is required when going for distance.
When battery is low, 2ms descent in the 3.00+ firmware is daunting.

You are absolutely right, good point. But I still prefer to descend at 2m/sec for safety reasons.

Geert./.

I don't agree.
As i come back from a deep impact flight i switch to ATTI.
It descends on its own but has a lot more speed to offer.
There are 2 things to consider.
1: Keep a eye on the altitude.
2: When its back and descended from lets say 300ft to a 100ft and you're fine with that altitude, give a brief moment a descent command to the bird because it will notice its to low and ascent again to the previous altitude.

Geert said:
When I do long distance flight I go to the mountains here where I have an awesome view over the city.
For me no need to ascend with my Phantom to 300 ft or more because I am at 1000ft above the city already. 30 ft is enough.
So, in my case it is not important at all.
It all depends on your location and what kind of flight you do.
Every situation is different.

:)

Geert./.

Lucky b@#$%&*&^^ LMAO ( its mend as a joke Geert )

Pretty much the same here. My long distance flights start from the garden which is over 400ft up, and I could fly at a height of 10 feet for 3 miles without hitting anything as most of the land falls away.

I think the answer is to be confident in ATTI mode.

GM

Hey guys, I'm curious, I am a noobie, and I've been watching the UTUBE videos and I want to add the FlyTrex and the mini osd, FPV but I'm not sure. Also which antenna would you recommend?

The max i had the bird out is approx 5km on V3.06 and still had FPV and RC control. Around 15.000ft some glitches on FPV so next time i'm using the booster app doubling the FPV range ( i guess ).
NEVER attempt a long distance flight if you don't know how to fly in ATTI, thats my advice !
I did 2 attempts for really long distance and ATTI saved the bird twice !

Geert said:
I am also using Horizon antenna, the Dual Black Hawk, went out 2.1 miles.
http://www.flytrex.com/challenges/dista ... -2-vision/
Just a few weeks ago I did some long range test with version 3.06 and 1.08.
There is NO difference you can reach in distance.
Probably there is in speed as several are saying but I can not confirm.
Yesterday I reached 51.07 MPH GPS mode on version 3.06, not impressive but not bad I think.

Geert./.
Hi Geert,

What about thisDual Black Hawk Horiz antenas ?
Interested on know. Coul You please put a link on the antenas ?

Tks a lot : Juan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues