Phantom Landing Gear Simple Solution

Reaction score
I tried a couple of aftermarket landing gears for the Phantom, none really did it for me. All I wanted was a bit more stability and a little height to allow me to use my GoPro case/w damper, without hitting the ground. Then a friend was curling her hair and it happened. For less the $10, went to a beauty supply place and bought some Jumbo Super Rollers.
They are light and made of foam rubber. Slit them to fit the gear, zip-tied them on and bent them out at 45s. There is a wire in the center. No more tipping, or hard landings.
PS: Still trying to do a 360 pirouette, while hovering in place with my Phantom. Simple to do with my DJI 550. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Attachments

• _MG_5925sm.jpg
    _MG_5925sm.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 1,995
Great idea and they appear to be better than just using closed cell foam / noodles. I like how you have bent them out at the tips. I think I'll give this a shot!

Roadkilt said:
No legs in the camera frame?
Not with Hero 3, in 1080 medium. Also bent out the legs to 45o for more of a wider stance for landing without tipping.

This is an awesome solution. What is the total weight of you phantom?
I had issues when bought a brushless gimbal as there was no room under the drone when it was on the ground and this way gimbal couldnt stabilize the camera.
I designed and 3d printed upgraded dji phantom landing gear and posted it on Thingiverse for free download http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:112017

$T2eC16R,!ysE9sy0iH,kBR0zKuC5-Q~~60_35.JPG

In my mind there are two potential problems with the OP landing gear. While they do improve the stability from the OEM....since they are ADDED onto OEM...whatever weight they add is useless since there are other mods...such as the last one pictured...that are actually as good stability-wise and LIGHTER than OEM. grams added = seconds of flight time lost. 'Nuff said there.

The second problem is THERE IS A METAL ROD DOQWN THE CENTER???? WHAT METAL???? Any ferro-magnetic material near the compass is VERY likely to lead to serious compass problems....unstable flight....and continuous crashing. Ask me how I know!
Maybe your mod isn't ferro-magnetic....or maybe you haven't had a [problem....YET....but for anyone copy-catting your mod...BEWARE of anything with iron or steel in it attached to the bottom of the OEM gear...where the compass is affixed.

Wedobiz....what is the price of getting your mod gear....and what do they weigh?? Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers