Phantom is closer than it appears - illusion or fact?

Reaction score
I am wondering how many other people have noticed the following:

When I am flying my bird towards a background, be it trees, buildings or a mountain, It always looks to me that it is much further ahead than the image I am seeing on the FPV.
It always makes me think, is it really 'there' or am I getting a delayed image?

A few days ago, I flew it across a river, where the other side was about 2700 ft away from my home point according to google maps. It was about 1800 ft away but I was sure it was already at the other side. The map and the FPV where indicating differently and I was doubting that I was having a delay in video transmission.

I then issued a 'move right' and visually noticed it moving right quite a distance: There was a large landmark that I had crossed from side to side, but the FPV image did not change: was the video stuck or being delayed? This really made me worry that I might in reality be too close to buildings on the other side, without knowing it.

Many thoughts started to cross my mind: was the FPV lying, was the map lying? That is when I did a yaw right, 180 degrees, until it pointed towards me. The response to the yaw was immediate so it reassured me, but only partially, and I still wonder:

Do others have the same feeling?

I think it has to do with focal length of the camera.

I get the same feeling as objects look further away (or smaller) than they really are.

Definitely takes a lot of practice to figure out how close or far away you are [emoji15]

I have a mirror over my bed, it says......................... Objects in mirror are larger than they appear. :D
facepalm.jpg

The P3P Lightbridge setup has roughly a 200 millisecond delay. Test it by waving your hand over the lens the next time you are waiting for enough satellites, with the camera pointed forward, and look at the tablet screen. It is almost instantaneous. However, when travelling at 30 mph, that's 44 feet per second, so in 200 milliseconds, you are already 9 feet closer than you can see on the screen. Combine that real time delay with a 20mm ultra wide angle lens, and the distortion it creates in the apparent size of objects which are always closer than they appear, and you have the recipe for disaster, if you using only FPV when flying in close proximity to objects. Be careful out there!

Last edited:
Reactions: jryser
Is that for you, or your guests? :rolleyes:
Naaa ya didn't ask him that :eek: Having the mirror over the bed ought to answer that one for ya :D
Just picking snerd :)

It was an old Yakov Smirnoff joke. Included in the milking a bull routine. Most likely well before your time. :p
I dono snerd me 60 .:(

Me 60 in September!
Moi was 60 in May! P3P was my birthday present! Is the P3P the new "Porsche" for the recently turned 60 year olds, that have already have a BMW and don't need or want a new car? :rolleyes:

I am wondering how many other people have noticed the following:

When I am flying my bird towards a background, be it trees, buildings or a mountain, It always looks to me that it is much further ahead than the image I am seeing on the FPV.
It always makes me think, is it really 'there' or am I getting a delayed image?
Do others have the same feeling?
Definitely. If I'm doing a slow dolly-up on anything, be it a tree, statue or anything else, I have to position myself at the side of the quad to get any kind of feel for how close I am to the subject. Maybe someday we'll see something like VPS on the front of a Phantom that would just be feedback as to how far you are away from objects. (assuming the firmware for it works, of course.;))

I vote for collision avoidance technology that would keep the quad in the center of sphere with a 10 foot radius away from all objects during flight! No more backing into trees or flying into nearby objects, or bumping into unseen light poles or wires above you!

Reactions: wordsmith
Object avoidance would be great, but until then, do you fully trust your FPV when flying it towards an object?
And in my case, the object was about 3000 ft away, so do you rely on FPV to know you are at a safe distance, say 100 ft from the object?
Can there not be delay that causes you to misjudge where you really are?

I've noticed this about camera in general. For example, from my backyard, I have a beautiful view of the Superstition Mountains in Arizona. It feels like I can reach out and touch it. But whenever I attempt to take a picture of it, with either my real camera, phone camera, or my P3P, the mountain is always soooo far away. It's extremely misleading...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4