Phantom Graphics Kits?

Reaction score
I have been looking at several graphics kits for the V2+, does anyone know if these will effect GPS reception or effect overall control of the aircraft? I don't want to spend the money only to find that it reduces the GPS reception. Any advice greatly appreciated.

They have one that is really sharp but looks like shiny Aluminum. Although I really like it I better steer clear of that one. Man it is sharp though.

Yes, I was just reading that myself. I assumed that it was so shiny that it had to have some metallic component. I was going to go on a maiden flight today but the wind is around 25mph and keep having these repetitive pop up storms. I have been watching many tutorial videos and found one on how to improve GPS reception by isolating the antenna by relocating the GPS antenna under the shielding and using a custom cut section of the 3m Aluminum sheet that is self adhesive on one side. I can see the physics of this working and may do it after I get a good baseline of what mine does once in flight. I would see the benefit no matter what the connection was as this would provide a certainly level of added reception due to the increase electrical shielding. The guy posted a very good DIY video.

IF you fly and shoot video in high winds, expect to see your props and landing gear a lot.

Yes I am very nervous just thinking about it. I am going to wait for a calm day for my first flight. Today I will just get more practice on the Phantom simulator on the 60" television. I have got all the flying down to second nature, I no longer crash or loose control and I have no problems with orientation. Been practicing tight circling of objects while yawing the aircraft to improve my smooth filming techniques.

JWarren said:
Maiden flight day huh? My hands were shaking like it was 30 below! lol Hopefully the winds will die down, but I've flown easily is 30 mph winds before.

https://vimeo.com/99552822

Awesome video. I cannot believe the Phantom was so stable in 30+ winds. That is amazing. I love the video and the layout of the town with all the cul-de-sac's. Literally all roads lead to nowhere, LOL. Awesome video. How long did it take you to become comfortable with the V2+ and how long have you been in RC Control Flight in general?

kymedic121 said:
Yes I am very nervous just thinking about it. I am going to wait for a calm day for my first flight. Today I will just get more practice on the Phantom simulator on the 60" television. I have got all the flying down to second nature, I no longer crash or loose control and I have no problems with orientation. Been practicing tight circling of objects while yawing the aircraft to improve my smooth filming techniques.
Your really making a bigger deal out of than what it is. It's very easy to fly , just go easy.

Mori55 said:
kymedic121 said:
Your really making a bigger deal out of than what it is. It's very easy to fly , just go easy.

Mori55, you are probably right but when I bought this unit the first message I receive from the dealer when inquiring about the V2+ and it reads as follows:

"IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ THIS FIRST: This DJI product is extremely complex and requires a thorough understanding of radio control products and associated technologies. This is NOT a toy and it is NOT recommended for people who are new to multi-rotor aircraft. Ready to Fly (RTF) means everything is included, it DOES NOT mean you can simply open the box and start flying. In order to properly setup this product you must own and be proficient with a computer and smart phone, as they are essential elements to operating and upgrading DJI products. You must be familiar with RC flight and how to operate and fly a quadcopter. You need to familiarize yourself with how to safely operate, charge, and store LiPo (lithium polymer) batteries. You also MUST read the entire product manual cover to cover due to the complex nature of this product. If you are just getting started with multi-rotor aircraft, we strongly recommend purchasing a less expensive quadcopter from either Blade or Heli-Max before investing in a premium DJI product. If you are unsure if this product is right for you, please contact our experienced customer service teams and they will be happy to guide you in your purchasing decision."

The dealer has gone as far as to post this on their retail website and its the first thing that stands out in a highlighted box when you click on the V2+ to purchase it. So, when seeing this it tends to make one a little cautious. Especially a beginner. I am sure I am over doing the preparation and all the simulator training, but I have never ever had any experience with any RC controlled vehicle or aircraft so all this preparation and due diligence was of some benefit. If nothing else I will have a real firm understanding about every aspect of this aircraft and that can only be of assistance later on down the road.

I think it is good that the dealer provides that alert to customers prior to purchase. I can't tell you how many crash reports I have read where it was obvious the operator had failed to thoroughly read the manual, and was woefully unaware and unprepared to operate the aircraft.

That's a great warning. The number one lessen all of us who who are either involved or read forums like Phantompilots is to use caution. It's a never ending learning hobby and for those who think they can just take it out of the box and fly should to be warned. Not only for the money they are going to fly away into the distance or smash into the pavement, but also for the safety of themselves, others and for the positive future of multi rotors.

kymedic121 said:

Just remember to take off with full throttle and release it when she's up a few feet. If you ***** about with moderate throttle it may tip over.

Enjoy!

happydays said:
kymedic121 said:

Just remember to take off with full throttle and release it when she's up a few feet. If you ***** about with moderate throttle it may tip over.

Enjoy!

Great advice! Full throttle take off.

Use same 'commit to' plan when landing as well.

N017RW said:
happydays said:
kymedic121 said:

Enjoy!

Great advice! Full throttle take off.

Use same 'commit to' plan when landing as well.

Hand catch it every time. No risk of tipping over and ruining a prop or two.

Hand Catch, especially on windy days, practice hovering a couple feet above you then walk underneath reach up and grab it while still holding it up then cut throttle while holding it up. (make sure to grab the vertical part of the landing gear or it will rotate once it loses its lift and injure you.) Phantom does a great job holding steady so this works even in the wind.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4