Phantom Friendly Countries?

Reaction score
Hello all, I was wondering if there was a listing of countries that allow or don't allow our quad copter so we could reference prior to traveling. I'm anxious to take my phantom on my vacation to Turks & Caicos. Not knowing if they will hold up my phantom in customs or allow me to use it while visiting. We are traveling by air.

I've never had any problems here in Ireland or have I even heard of any other flyers getting any hassle. It think spain and france are problematic.

Mal, I dont think thats a strictly fair answer to gatordent's question, at least with regard recreational flying of Phantoms and the like when carrying a camera. In the Republic of Ireland you do need permission from the IAA in Northern Ireland you do not need permission from the CAA. Having said that many do ignore the IAA's rules.

" It is IAA policy that UAS operations in Ireland must meet at least the same safety and operational standards as manned aircraft. Therefore, UAS operations must be as safe as manned aircraft insofar as they must not present or create a greater hazard to persons, property, vehicles or vessels, whilst in the air or on the ground, than those attributable to the operation of manned aircraft."

"The underlying policy of the IAA is that a UAS may not be flown in Ireland without the operator obtaining a specific Permission from the Authority. Additionally, where such a UAS is to be used for commercial purposes such as filming, photography, survey, surveillance, etc, the operator must apply to the Authority for an Aerial Work Permission to cover such activity."

IrishSights said:
Mal, I dont think thats a strictly fair answer to gatordent's question, at least with regard recreational flying of Phantoms and the like when carrying a camera. In the Republic of Ireland you do need permission from the IAA in Northern Ireland you do not need permission from the CAA. Having said that many do ignore the IAA's rules.

" It is IAA policy that UAS operations in Ireland must meet at least the same safety and operational standards as manned aircraft. Therefore, UAS operations must be as safe as manned aircraft insofar as they must not present or create a greater hazard to persons, property, vehicles or vessels, whilst in the air or on the ground, than those attributable to the operation of manned aircraft."

"The underlying policy of the IAA is that a UAS may not be flown in Ireland without the operator obtaining a specific Permission from the Authority. Additionally, where such a UAS is to be used for commercial purposes such as filming, photography, survey, surveillance, etc, the operator must apply to the Authority for an Aerial Work Permission to cover such activity."
Yeah those clowns dont know their ear from their elbow, ive rang them and even they dont know theyre own rules. There is a part in their regulations that anything under 1.5kg is exempt. Of the 40 guys I know flying here not one has been in trouble. 1 guy did get a rapping for flying over Cork city but no prosecution and it was kinda stupid. I was flying today showing 2 Gardaí what it could do and they were amazed. More stringent regulations are coming but as of now from my experience and the experiences of all the members of the fb page UAV FLYERS IRELAND there have been zero problems. Today wasnt the first time I showed police officers me flying my bird. Flying responsibly hasn't gotten anyone in trouble here yet.

Guys, given this knowledge would it be safe to assume that they would not stop one of these from coming through airport customs in the possession of a likely tourist? My goal is to compile a list of countries that will or will not allow the phantom UAV with camera equipped through their borders, most likely airport customs.

The idea would be to compile a reference guide for those travelers who would like to take their quad with them, also as a way to get familiar with the laws of the country being visited.

You should think of the obvious ones maybe Israel, Cuba, anywhere either military equipment embargoes are in place. A belgian photographer was arrested for taking pics in china because he was unaware he was near government buildings but got his phantom back at the airport. These sort of places and the likes might get your bird taken off you before you enter but for most other places you should be fine to take it through security but it all depends if local police are sensitive to them when you actually fly. I think this is a great post and I hope members can add their own experiences of their home countries to help you with your list.

Hi guys, firt post here. First I'd like to thank you all, I've really learnt A LOT from reading these forums.

Since you mention Spain (where I'm from), I'd thought I'd give my two cents.

The government here is still trying to figure out what 'those flying things' are...and they are currently regulating on the matter.

Still, everyone I know with a Phantom (from spanish forums mostly) flies without much worry. The main issue here is the commercial use of the images taken with the Phantom, that's whats sets apart 'drones' from 'RC models', legally speaking. So if you fly in the country, no flying over people and stuff you shouldn't have much problem.

I'm pretty sure you won't have any trouble getting it into the country at the airport.

Just fly responsibly and you'll be OK, and if someone sais something to you just 'play turist' and all will be alright

Cheers!

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Yeah those assholes dont know their ear from their elbow, ive rang them and even they dont know theyre own rules. There is a part in their regulations that anything under 1.5kg is exempt. Of the 40 guys I know flying here not one has been in trouble. 1 guy did get a rapping for flying over Cork city but no prosecution and it was kinda stupid. I was flying today showing 2 Gardaí what it could do and they were amazed. More stringent regulations are coming but as of now from my experience and the experiences of all the members of the fb page UAV FLYERS IRELAND there have been zero problems. Today wasnt the first time I showed police officers me flying my bird. Flying responsibly hasn't gotten anyone in trouble here yet.
I agree this is a good thread. Didn't know about the 1.5kg bit, I thought it was cameras that spooked them. Ages ago I read a forum post somewhere where someone was asked by the IAA to take his aircraft down and not to fly unless he had permission. Dublin area I thought, but could be wrong. I know it was over built up areas. I agree, heads down and fly responsibly!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl