Phantom flying the way people dance in a moshpit

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Newbie here.
I have a completely stock FC40 bird and lately the video quality as well as flight stability (heavy drifting in GPS mode, going all "jerky" in wind where it used to have a field day, sometimes high jello, does the 6-times green "all good to go" blinking mid flight) have started to deteriorate to the point where it became uncomfortable. Thought the IMU must be needing some recalibration, or the props are up for a little tlc. Well, done both and the results were somewhat still lacking so went to buy some new P2 thrust props directly from DJI. Well, mounting those on the FC40 made it feel like it's in the middle of a moshpit, completely uncontrollable, jumping all over the place (all directions, mind) under the slightest amount of wind. Suffice to say, not exactly what I expected from a set of brand new and balanced props. Anyway, my question is if you could give me some hint on how to handle/mend this issue? Is it the gain that needs to be tinkered with? Or maybe I damaged something through the many apparent crashes I had? Motors seem fine.
Thanks for all answers!
Cheers!

Hi guys,
Newbie here.
I have a completely stock FC40 bird and lately the video quality as well as flight stability (heavy drifting in GPS mode, going all "jerky" in wind where it used to have a field day, sometimes high jello, does the 6-times green "all good to go" blinking mid flight) have started to deteriorate to the point where it became uncomfortable. Thought the IMU must be needing some recalibration, or the props are up for a little tlc. Well, done both and the results were somewhat still lacking so went to buy some new P2 thrust props directly from DJI. Well, mounting those on the FC40 made it feel like it's in the middle of a moshpit, completely uncontrollable, jumping all over the place (all directions, mind) under the slightest amount of wind. Suffice to say, not exactly what I expected from a set of brand new and balanced props. Anyway, my question is if you could give me some hint on how to handle/mend this issue? Is it the gain that needs to be tinkered with? Or maybe I damaged something through the many apparent crashes I had? Motors seem fine.
Thanks for all answers!
Cheers!

Welcome to the party BFarkas, sometimes it's a wild and crazy ride. I've noticed, through multiple crashes that the FC40 seems to be aging rapidly. Don't know what dancing in a moshpit is like.

There are some important considerations when it comes to achieving a good Advanced IMU calibration. When you do get one, I would suggest trying not to crash anymore. Good luck on that one. I'm still trying to keep from doing it.
Here's a link which may help with the IMU thing:
http://www.wynotweb.com/Advanced_IMU_Calibration.html

Interesting you would have a greater problem with the P2 props. I love them. There is no gain adjustment needed for me.

Welcome to the party BFarkas, sometimes it's a wild and crazy ride. I've noticed, through multiple crashes that the FC40 seems to be aging rapidly. Don't know what dancing in a moshpit is like.

There are some important considerations when it comes to achieving a good Advanced IMU calibration. When you do get one, I would suggest trying not to crash anymore. Good luck on that one. I'm still trying to keep from doing it.
Here's a link which may help with the IMU thing:
http://www.wynotweb.com/Advanced_IMU_Calibration.html

Interesting you would have a greater problem with the P2 props. I love them. There is no gain adjustment needed for me.

Hi IflyinWY,
Thanks for the reply! I actually bit the bullet and took my bird for an extended setup session on Sunday, and it turned out, the gains had to be meddled with drastically to regain most of the desired stability. For starters, the gain on vertical had to be decreased from 100 to 80... Anyways, now it flies like a charm!
Cheers!
BFarkas

Reactions: IflyinWY
Nice... :D

I would be interested to know why they needed to be changed? Did the earth axis or polarity change?

Reactions: IflyinWY
I would be interested to know why they needed to be changed? Did the earth axis or polarity change?

It was the Vertical Gain which required adjusting, so obviously it was the gravitational pull at the flight location... The higher you go, the less gravitational pull there is acting on a given body. Apparently BFarkas was really high. :p

Just me poking fun, not trying to be mean. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4