Phantom Flyaways Explained

Reaction score
So this thread will contain a few things that may be helpful and I have questions about it but first let me start out with this.

So last month I discovered the Phantoms and I got a P3 Vision+. I had it for one day before I lost it to a flyaway. I have already posted a thread about it and you can read it here before continuing on:

Lost Phantom to flyaway | DJI Phantom Forum

So now moving on to the main topic...why do Phantoms fly away and how can it be stopped. I came across this video of this guy explaining flyaways. I mentioned it in the first thread but I should have posted the video. What he explains makes alot of sense but watch the video yourself and tell me what you think of it:

I am now waiting on a P3 Standard and I would absolutely hate to lose it to another flyaway.

So what do you think of what he said?

Last edited:
Although this might explain some issues with the P2, it doesn't apply with the P3. With the P3 when home point is set it states on screen and audibly "Your home point has been set, please check it on the map", and a positional indicator is displayed. IF for some reason that is in the wrong position, you have the opportunity to reset it before takeoff.

In addition, the Phanton Assistant settings discussed do not exist/apply for the P3.

And additionally the P3 uses GLONASS as well as GPS satellites so chances of a drastically off homepiint are greatly reduced and many more satellites (15-17 rather than just 6) improving speed and accuracy.

This isn't to say you can ignore the onscreen displays and prompts if somehow they are wrong...You'll always want to verify your homepiint is reflected accurately before takeoff. However the details/problem description of this video doesn't apply to the p3.

Although this might explain some issues with the P2, it doesn't apply with the P3. With the P3 when home point is set it states on screen and audibly "Your home point has been set, please check it on the map", and a positional indicator is displayed. IF for some reason that is in the wrong position, you have the opportunity to reset it before takeoff.

In addition, the Phanton Assistant settings discussed do not exist/apply for the P3.

And additionally the P3 uses GLONASS as well as GPS satellites so chances of a drastically off homepiint are greatly reduced and many more satellites (15-17 rather than just 6) improving speed and accuracy.

This isn't to say you can ignore the onscreen displays and prompts if somehow they are wrong...You'll always want to verify your homepiint is reflected accurately before takeoff. However the details/problem description of this video doesn't apply to the p3.

I figured it would be a little different with a P3. I haven't owned one yet. I'm still waiting on my P3 Standard to be delivered. Also, I think GLONASS only comes with Advance and Pro if I'm not mistaken. I like the idea of home point being marked on a map. That makes me feel much better. I never had a camera with my Vision+ V3 as it was second hand off eBay so I haven't actually got to use any apps or settings yet other than the settings on my laptop when connected. I'm looking forward to my first flight with a brand new P3 Standard with everything included so hopefully I'll have a much better experience than I did before. Thanks for the info.

I figured it would be a little different with a P3. I haven't owned one yet. I'm still waiting on my P3 Standard to be delivered. Also, I think GLONASS only comes with Advance and Pro if I'm not mistaken. I like the idea of home point being marked on a map. That makes me feel much better. I never had a camera with my Vision+ V3 as it was second hand off eBay so I haven't actually got to use any apps or settings yet other than the settings on my laptop when connected. I'm looking forward to my first flight with a brand new P3 Standard with everything included so hopefully I'll have a much better experience than I did before. Thanks for the info.
Yes, sorry...you did mention you are getting the Standard...in regards to GLONASS, you are correct that the P3S does not include that. This may mean homepoint location acquisition is slower to acquire, and # of satellites won't be as many, so likely lower accuracy. You'll for sure want to always "check it on the map". It's so easy to hear the audible reminder and neglect to actually verify the display...but sounds like you've got first hand experience on how important this verification can be. The App does make it so much easier to verify what it has recorded positionally.

Yes, sorry...you did mention you are getting the Standard...in regards to GLONASS, you are correct that the P3S does not include that. This may mean homepoint location acquisition is slower to acquire, and # of satellites won't be as many, so likely lower accuracy. You'll for sure want to always "check it on the map". It's so easy to hear the audible reminder and neglect to actually verify the display...but sounds like you've got first hand experience on how important this verification can be. The App does make it so much easier to verify what it has recorded positionally.

I think my biggest mistake was attempting to fly without the camera. I couldn't tell you how many satellites I had or any other information I needed since the P2V+ camera is needed to use the app. Being new to the world of Phantoms, I had done tons of research but my excitement got the best of me and I got second hand without a camera instead of waiting another week or two to buy new. Money lost, lesson learned, and ready to get back in the air and try again. I'm still going to invest in a Marco Polo tracker just in case though.

I have a Standard. I don't have experience with the Pro or Advance GPS acquisition times, but I can say that the Standard GPS lock happens pretty quickly. Once I am ready to fly it already sees about 9 satellites and once up in the air about 12. I am surrounded by low mountains so the horizon is higher. It is pretty stable and lands within a few feet of the original home point. I usually take control of it anyway once it arrives back in the vicinity.

Reactions: TAZ
I have a Standard. I don't have experience with the Pro or Advance GPS acquisition times, but I can say that the Standard GPS lock happens pretty quickly. Once I am ready to fly it already sees about 9 satellites and once up in the air about 12. I am surrounded by low mountains so the horizon is higher. It is pretty stable and lands within a few feet of the original home point. I usually take control of it anyway once it arrives back in the vicinity.
What are your settings on the s1 and s2 switches? Can you run naza like the p2?

A few weeks ago, I had a fly away while flying my two-drone system (a P2V+ and P2):
  • I first put up the Camera-Worker-Drone (a P2V+)
  • Then I launched the Repeater-Helper-Drone (an ordinary P2 carrying both repeaters (2.4 and 5.8ghz) for the camera-worker drone)
  • Things seemed normal as the P2 ascended up to the altitude of the waiting P2V+; only about 100 feet up
  • Then all of a sudden, the P2 stopped responding to its controller and started flying away
  • I could clearly see its LED where still green
  • Luckily it flew into a cow pasture hill side and crashed with light damage

So in this case it was not a loss of GPS

We've had P2s for more than a year. Most people start Gopro recording so each fight is recorded start to finish, and Gopro videos are not prone to getting corrupted in a crash.

And yet, with so many people using P2s, we only have a handful of videos of this happening. Including Ian's video.

On the flip side, just in the past week it seems that just on this forum there were 3 videos posted of mystery crashes/compass error/etc for P3...

So... maybe P3 is better... but maybe it is worse... Yesterday, I tried flying at my local field that never has ANY interference. Another guy had Phantom Vision+ with him. We were 20 feet away from each other. His app crashed a few times. My P3 kept getting 'radio signal weak - range will be limited' errors. Even when I walked about 60 feet away, I still got this error.

Basically; these are fragile machines that can be affected by a lot of things.

What are your settings on the s1 and s2 switches? Can you run naza like the p2?

S1 is all the way up (GPS mode) S2 does not seen to do much except initiate a manual RTH if toggled a few times and it is used with painting the remote I believe.

Have no idea about naza.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik