Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Phantom flight hours

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gingericeman, Dec 8, 2014.

1. gingericeman

Hi. Do our aircraft have flight hours just like full sized manned aircraft, which shouldn't be exceeded due to parts wearing out. I would imagine that the airframes would be fine, though I'm thinking maybe the motor's have a live time and then perhaps need an inspection or replacement perhaps?

2. Larry L

Yes I believe they do. I do not know the exact details. I have been keeping a flight log though.

3. PhantomFanatic

Electric hour counters are available if you don't want to log.

4. AndysAdventures

I thought I read somewhere that the V+ motors are supposed to last 300 flight hours.

5. gingericeman

Could anyone ring their dealer or rep and ask what the engine life is ? I asked a dealer and he said every 200 hours . Maybe the dealer just wanted a little more business . 300 sounds ok .

6. Mori55

Seriously ? You r that **** bout it ?

7. gingericeman

Why would you even respond with a comment like that, and for your information yes . I will be using 2 units for paid work so I'll want them both up to standard and ready to fly . What if a phantom came down and hit someone in the head because I didn't check my equipment was up to standard and as a result I'm reported to the aviation authority and put out of business . Shall I reply "Seriously you are that **** about it ?" These are machines and they have a life cycle just like everything else .

8. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

And it's highly unlikely that anyone would have any idea how long they would go for.

9. gingericeman

Perhaps your right but I'd imagine the manufacturers would have a good enough idea. They bench test these before they go on sale, just running the motor's to failure or so I would I imagine with a product as popular as the phantom .

Does anybody keep a record of hours flown ? If enough people post their hours we could make a sticky to monitor .

10. Mori55

Well sorry if I ruffled your feathers , but I think there are to many variables in engines life. Do you fly near sand ? Dirt ? Have you crashed ? Remember this basically a hobby grade quad.
    You probaly have a better chance of crashing do to some GPS , or some type of interference. What's the life of the ESC. ? Compass , wifi unit , seems some have had problems with this battery software. Normally you can tell when a motors starting to go , by the sound and feel of it.
    I would say pilot error is the main reason these things crash.

11. N017RW

Assuming no crashes or other stresses the motors will last hundreds to thousands of hours.

The failure point will be the moving parts i.e. the bearings.

12. gingericeman

Its ok, sorry I was a bit sharp with my reply too . No, no dand but I love close enough to the sea so perhaps that could wear them down . I haven't crashed as of yet, thank god , but I hear a close shave once or twice .

13. IflyinWY

I may consider putting an hour meter in mine but I think I'll just replace it after 100 crashes. Those I do keep track of. :lol: