Phantom FC40 beginner questions

Reaction score
I have a Nano QX that I've been flying inside and outside when the wind is a few kts to help me get nimble on the controls. 5 kt winds can make it challenging with a Nano QX :lol:

I think the FC40 fits my budget and skill level and would be a good entry level quad and for beginner aerial photography. My plan is to eventually work up to the X830-D .

I'm making a checklist and looking for any advice from experienced Phantom owners :geek:

- got a "starter" quad to learn the basic (Nano QX)
- Downloaded latest FC40 instruction manual and have read it a few times
- Update firmware (if required)
- Compass calibration
- Advanced calibrations
- Activate IOC mode

I started just before Christmas with the proto x, then the h107c, after flying the hubsan outside I quickly realized I need bigger thing to look at and also one that when I cant tell witch ways its facing I can fly it back towards me, also a better camera. the blade and the phantom are the clear choices here, so I got the phantom fc40, its complicated but very cool and a bargain. just make sure you calibrate the compass, the other stuff can wait. on my first flight I stayed low and had sort of a flyaway crash. I looked at the manual again and found that I forgot to flick the switch to activate the compass. I did it right and the second flight was much better. I plan to connect to the website and do that calibration and settings. im stiil afraid to go too high or far away. so go for it. the phantom will let you learn and get better. with those little quads you will never get anywhere.

Actually it would be a great idea to follow the steps you wrote.

Calibrate compass outside away from any electrical wires, metallic, concrete, etc...
Plug phantom to computer, Install driver, install software, activate IOC, assign manual mode, calibrate imu, look at compass values and learn what is an acceptable range and what is ideal.

Work the sticks and look at values in Nazareth.
Fly outside. Have fun, and last if you feel up to it : try failsafe. Power off the transmitter. Easier said than done. Don't forget it will go up to 60 feet if it isn't that high, and comeback.

Why rush it and possibly crash it the first time.

I flew in atti mode for the first time(spent a lot of time behind the tiny sticks of a proto x nano quad) no crash though I did have a tip over when I first landed(I shut the motors off as soon as it tipped)

I have manual mode activated and haven't tried fail safe yet(afraid it may go into a tree in the process as GPS coverage isn't great where I live)

I plan on getting bigger landing gear to hopefully prevent tip overs on grass also getting the prop guards to protect the props

I also haven't flew high with my phantom in fear of possible fly away(going to make a tether so I don't have to worry)

Love how stable it is even in atti mode(used to the drifting from my proto x)

I am not sure if the camera is working right(white colors don't look white in the preview)

I LOVE my prop guards, and I might never take them off!

I know I should, but they're really nice for us noobs :)

Carl

CarlJ said:
I LOVE my prop guards, and I might never take them off!

I know I should, but they're really nice for us noobs :)

Carl

I don't want to have to replace a prop should my phantom tip over or get to close to something it shouldn't is why I am getting the prop guards

Already lost the spares for the proto x I have because of getting too close to stuff while flying(or the cat attacking it)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4