Phantom drifting upon first startup with gps on

Reaction score
Hey guys just a quick question

Ive recently bought a phantom 2 but notice that when i start it up for first time after calibrating compass and getting a gps fix it drifts in mid air like its being drawn somewhere by the gps so i land it shut it down turn on again wait for second gps fix and all is fine

Why does it do it each time on first startup ? Am i doing something wrong ?

Are the LEDs blinking green slowly? How much/far does it drift, and is it always in the same direction?

The GPS allows it to hover within a 1 meter radius, I believe. So some drift is normal.

Yes all green blinking slowly ! It doesnt drift far but noticeable when i restart it doesnt move much at all but before hand its the equivalant of lets say a trim bein marginally off on a controller and no its not always same direction

Its not a biggie as i said im new to drones so was just curious

dptcalvin said:
Are the LEDs blinking green slowly? How much/far does it drift, and is it always in the same direction?

The GPS allows it to hover within a 1 meter radius, I believe. So some drift is normal.

Agreed this 1 meter may be typical but it is spec'd at 2.5 meter radius.

Thanks for the correction. The P2 should hover and maintain altitude within 8/10ths of a meter vertically and 2.5 meters horizontally.

Ok i may check this tomorrow see how far it wanders on first start up compared to when it seems to be working fine and compare

Thanks guys for the info appreciate it

How many sats you getting when it is drifting and how many are you getting when it stops?
When I get 7/8 I get slight movement. When I get 11-13, she is solid.

Oh. Are you using FPV and IOSD?
I assume not.

No literally just the phantom

Im thinking of buying the gimbal and go pro next not really sure what i need to get other than h3 3d gimbal and go pro black ?

focusowner said:
No literally just the phantom

Im thinking of buying the gimbal and go pro next not really sure what i need to get other than h3 3d gimbal and go pro black ?

Its cheaper to buy the P2+H33d combo.
Send it back and get the combo. Probably save you a $100-150.

If struggle with soldering and understanding schematics and want peace of mind, get the H3-3d. The H4-3d has just been announced that is designed specifically for the Gopro 4 black (I think they just re-weighted the H3-3d and did the button fix by giving it lift and tuck). The existing H3-3d works but you need to do some balancing with coins and pad up so the button isn't pressed during flight..

My P1s always drifted until they were warmed up. It only happened the first flight of the day and usually went away after about a 40 seconds to a minute.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj